Thread: No Video Mode Selected Boot Screen in 12.04.2 LTS RTW.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Exclamation No Video Mode Selected Boot Screen in 12.04.2 LTS RTW.

i am getting a "No Video Mode Selected" Boot Screen Error Message in AMD 64 Ubuntu 12.04.2 Long Term Support Release To Web on my 2010 Dell Inspiron Zino 400 HD each and every time 12.04.2 Boots Up. The computer has both an AMD Dual Core Processor (Not Sure which one however) and a ATI Radeon 3200 HD Graphics Card). I had previously reported this in the Ubuntu + 1 Sub Forum during the Pre-Release Testing, but the issue never got fixed. The computer only stays on that Error message for a couple seconds and then finishes booting normally, so it's NOT really a big issue. I was just curious if anyone else has had the issue, and/or if the issue has been fixed since the AMD 64 20130214 Alternate CD Nightly Build (which is the last Build that I tested BUT it eventually became AMD 64 12.04.2 LTS RTW as far as I know). Thanks in Advance.

Correction: it says No Video Mode Activated, NOT No Video Mode Selected, my mistake.
    Last edited by kevpan815; March 3rd, 2013 at 02:23 PM. Reason: Incorrect information about problem.
    2013 Dell Inspiron 15 3521 Laptop, 2010 Dell Inspiron 1012 Mini Net Book, 2010 Dell Inspiron Zino HD 400, Sprint Samsung Galaxy S4, and Apple IPad Mini WIFI Only.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: No Video Mode Selected Boot Screen in 12.04.2 LTS RTW.

Does that error message also list supported video modes? Something like
    Code:
     Video/Mode info:
      Video output not enabled
     Current video mode:
      No video mode selected yet
     Supported video mode(s):
      'VGA'
      'SVGA'
      'XGA'
      'SXGA'
     Parameters:
               cdepth = 16
                 mode = <NULL>
               enable = <NULL>
    Last edited by schragge; February 17th, 2013 at 02:06 AM.

Beans
    Distro

No, it only says No Video Mode Selected. I am sorry for not getting back to you sooner but I have been very busy for the last 2 weeks Beta Testing Avast 8.0 for Windows. I have not tried any of the Post 12.04.2 Nightly Builds yet to see if my issue is fixed or not and today I am actually experiencing a slower than normal download from the cdimage.ubuntu.com Download Server so that will not be possible at the moment. The download speed is working just fine at releases.ubuntu.com however so I will try re-downloading 12.04.2 LTS RTW and then do a sudo apt-get update and sudo apt-get upgrade as soon as possible.
    2013 Dell Inspiron 15 3521 Laptop, 2010 Dell Inspiron 1012 Mini Net Book, 2010 Dell Inspiron Zino HD 400, Sprint Samsung Galaxy S4, and Apple IPad Mini WIFI Only.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

How did you install your Graphic Driver for ATI Radeon 3200 HD Graphics Card? From 'Additionl Drivers'? if yes, then revome/uninstall it and reboot.
    "Evolution is Nature's way of issuing upgrades."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by kevpan815 View Post
    No, it only says No Video Mode Selected. I am sorry for not getting back to you sooner but I have been very busy for the last 2 weeks Beta Testing Avast 8.0 for Windows. I have not tried any of the Post 12.04.2 Nightly Builds yet to see if my issue is fixed or not and today I am actually experiencing a slower than normal download from the cdimage.ubuntu.com Download Server so that will not be possible at the moment. The download speed is working just fine at releases.ubuntu.com however so I will try re-downloading 12.04.2 LTS RTW and then do a sudo apt-get update and sudo apt-get upgrade as soon as possible.
    Any 12.04 release is just the same as a running 12.04 release that gets updates. 12.04.2 is just the original 12.04 release with all the security updates installed into it.

You are wasting your time continually downloading builds for already released versions.
    Regards, David.
    Please use the Forum search and Wiki search for immediate help
    Please mark your thread as Solved when appropriate
    New to technical forums?: How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Beans
    Distro

It's actually the the Integrated Driver in the CD that I am using. Also I do need to correct myself that the message is actually No Video Mode Activated, NOT No Video Mode Selected, and it affects BOTH of my 2010 Dell Systems. The 2013 system that I have in my Signature does NOT arrive till Monday and I am a little concerned about testing 12.04.2 on it anyways as it is a Windows 8 System with UEFI Firmware Installed by Default so I do NOT plan to install Ubuntu on it at this time.

Beans
    Distro

I should also note that my 2010 Dell Inspiron 1012 Mini Net Book has an Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3500 Graphics Card, and yet the problem occurs on that system as well.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Hi!, dcstar,

You Posted:
    Any 12.04 release is just the same as a running 12.04 release that gets updates. 12.04.2 is just the original 12.04 release with all the security updates installed into it.
    This is not strictly true of 12.04.2.xx, which is a special case.

A pre 12.04.2 release with all available updates installed, calls itself 12.04.2 in lsb-release, but 'uname -r' shows it is still running the 3.2.xx kernal, though it includes a few 'lts-quanta' files, essential to allow upgrading to the 3.5.xx kernal..

Whereas a clean install of the 12.04.2 release runs the 3.5.xx lts-quantal kernal and includes a lot of backports and 'lts-quantal' files.

Chao!, bogan.
    "Better Solutions may bring Worsened Problems": After Lao Tse, b. circa 405BC. a contemporary of Confucius, who died circa 600BC.
    They did things differently in those days, apparently!!