Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Contributing to Ubuntu = Working for Canonical for free?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Contributing to Ubuntu = Working for Canonical for free?

This thought occurred to me some time ago, Canonical owns the Ubuntu trademarks, Canonical markets/advertises Ubuntu, They earn money from Ubuntu by providing support services for it, And through Ubuntu One which is a part of the OS. They make all the major decisions and stuff.
    So when somebody contributes something to Ubuntu, Is it like them working for Canonical and not getting paid for it? I really like Ubuntu and the direction Canonical is taking it in and everything, But to me it seems like they have brainwashed people into working for them for free.
    Please share your thoughts about this.

wojox is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans

Re: Contributing to Ubuntu = Working for Cannonical for free?

How much did you pay for your different versions of Ubuntu?

You can't give a little back?

You don't necessarily have to. No one is forcing you.

Beans

Ubuntu was started by and funded by a large donation from one person. The servers here are funded by and supported by Canonical. The international conferences are funded by Canonical. Remember all those free Ubuntu CD's? pay for any ? no ...funded by Canonical.

I guess Canonical should pay all it's users to install Ubuntu.
    This account is not active.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Yeah, I don't think you're gonna find a single supporter for your line of logic there, OP.

Canonical was built (correct me if I'm wrong here people) by a philanthropist, not a capitalist (Like say, I dunno, Novell) and the whole philosophy has been to create a F R E E operating system for the world that Just Works(tm) and is community driven.

I am who I am because of who we all are.

Ghost|BTFH
    I am not here for your hearts and your minds - we have enough of those in stock, what we really need right now are feet and elbows...

Beans

Canonical is supposed to be profitable, it is not a charity. And I think most of us hope that they do succeed even if we may not agree with their methods in some cases. Ubuntu itself is a somewhat distinct entity, although it's obviously heavily funded by Canonical. Besides Canonical, there is a vibrant community around it that would likely still be there even if Canonical ceased to exist.

Canonical can go bankrupt. As an open source project, Ubuntu can never disappear, theoretically.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Unless you are contributing to the artwork/design of Ubuntu, you aren't "working for canonical for free".

I contribute to Ubuntu by writing certain applications and working on Mythbuntu (community distro). I don't get any money from Canonical, but I don't think of myself as "working for free". To say that I don't benefit (by getting my software into peoples systems, by learning so much from other OSS projects) from the progress that Canonical has made with Ubuntu is disingenuous.
    *Don't PM me directly for support, open a new thread
    *Looking for a MythTV quick start guide?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Well, being open and free is part of the Linux culture. It is what it is because there are people willing to help to get helped. It's a circle. I help here and I'm helped there.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by JDShu View Post

Canonical can go bankrupt. As an open source project, Ubuntu can never disappear, theoretically.

Thank god its so popular in Europe. I cant imagine my life without Ubuntu. It makes my every day computer experience a better place

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Santaji View Post
    This thought occurred to me some time ago, Canonical owns the Ubuntu trademarks, Canonical markets/advertises Ubuntu, They earn money from Ubuntu by providing support services for it, And through Ubuntu One which is a part of the OS. They make all the major decisions and stuff.
    So when somebody contributes something to Ubuntu, Is it like them working for Canonical and not getting paid for it? I really like Ubuntu and the direction Canonical is taking it in and everything, But to me it seems like they have brainwashed people into working for them for free.
    Please share your thoughts about this.
    This isn't work its fun like a game
    a free game!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

What kinds of contributions are you talking about, exactly? If you offer a bug fix for Network Manager, it benefits anyone who uses Network Manager, not just Ubuntu users. That's the whole point of open source. Ubuntu doesn't write all this stuff from scratch. They use the same open source software Red Hat and Mepis and Arch and Gentoo all use.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast