Thread: Xubuntu includes LibreOffice?

Beans

Xubuntu includes LibreOffice?

I booted up the Xubuntu image and found to my dismay that LibreOffice was included. Is this a permanent change or are the devs soliciting opinions?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Xubuntu includes LibreOffice?

Quote Originally Posted by kozimodo View Post
    I booted up the Xubuntu image and found to my dismay that LibreOffice was included. Is this a permanent change or are the devs soliciting opinions?
    About two week ago I did a fresh install of Xubuntu 11.04 and it did not install LibreOffice. It just install Abiword. Are you running a image from a live cd? Because I didn't try a live CD I just did an install.
    My hometown on the Mississippi River.
    Using a Asus 3632QM laptop with 8gig RAM, 750gig Hybrid.
    Machine Registered 366271, 366273, 366275.
    Registered Ubuntu user number 18630. Registered Linux user number 458093.

Beans

This is with the 11.10 alpha not Natty. I emailed the xubuntu-devel list and apparently the presence of Libre Office is a temporary condition.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by kozimodo View Post
    This is with the 11.10 alpha not Natty. I emailed the xubuntu-devel list and apparently the presence of Libre Office is a temporary condition.
    I actually like LibreOffice and have installed it on my Xubuntu. But I can understand where you are coming from if you are trying to keep the install smaller. This is what is needed on some older systems with small drives. It should be an option not a default.
    My hometown on the Mississippi River.
    Using a Asus 3632QM laptop with 8gig RAM, 750gig Hybrid.
    Machine Registered 366271, 366273, 366275.
    Registered Ubuntu user number 18630. Registered Linux user number 458093.

Beans

My son uses Ubuntu on a new box and the first thing he does is remove OOo or LibreOffice (depending on the packages installed on any OS). Abiword is all he needs for document creation. Why have all the other stuff?

I have had installs of both Lubuntu and Xubuntu in the past and I install LibreOffice because I really like it. There really is no need for it is Xubuntu at all.

The only xfce and ldxe install I have now is on one Wheezy install so I have it on there but I am not sure I would install it if I had a clean install of either of them as neither would be my Main OS. In that case a full office suite is just bloat.

I suspect that most home users would get by quite fine with Abiword and Gnumeric for their home office needs. Without the big suite any DE is going to be somewhat more responsive no matter the age or power.

A number of people I know of like a stripped down install on new gaming computers for the speed it gets them on high power boxes. They do not need an office suite to play WOW.
    Dell 480 XPS 3G ram Quad Core 2.40GHz, Radeon HD 2400 PRO, Audigy1, 3x320G HDD, 320G External, Debian Testing for use, Debian Squeeze for secure use, Debian Sid for FUN

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

You need presentation editor and/or viewer--there is nothing except for Impress or PPT viewer in Wine, I think.
    Howzit! 8) Ubuntu User #21505 Registered Linux user #408849

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by shuttleworthwannabe View Post
    You need presentation editor and/or viewer--there is nothing except for Impress or PPT viewer in Wine, I think.
    What about Impressive? It's in the repos and works a treat with PDF's. (nb: it doesn't do ppt(x?), I believe)
    my shiz: http://inportb.com/
    use Dropbox if you need an awesome free file hosting service; please follow my referral link for an extra 256MB of free storage.