Thread: Please add your support so Chrome will fix URL-bar Auto-Complete problem

Beans

Please add your support so Chrome will fix URL-bar Auto-Complete problem

I filed a bug-report with Google for a problem that makes using Chrome a big problem: the fact that Auto-Complete will add to what you type into the URL bar and therefore result in a search being done for something you didn't type.

I'd really appreciate it if anyone that shares my grief over this issue would add their voice to fixing this bug. In order to do so you need to click the STAR for this bug report so that Google can see that many people would like to see the issue fixed. (The star is next to the word "ISSUE" in the upper left corner. You will only see it once you login to your account).

I proposed that Auto-Completed suggestions should only appear in the dropdown window and not in the URL bar itself.

Thanks

http://code.google.com/p/chromium/is...etail?id=85076

Beans

Re: Please add your support so Chrome will fix URL-bar Auto-Complete problem

done.

Beans

bump

Beans

I actually do like this feature as is. Believe it or not, it is one of the main reasons I use Chrome.

Instead of removing it, maybe you should ask that there be an option to enable/disable it, which can be configured using the control panel of Chrome.

Good luck!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

When I start typing "ubuntu" it autocompletes to "ubuntuforums.org" and prevents me from hitting enter to search for "ubuntu". The reason is that I open "ubuntuforums.org" a lot.

But if you look down, the second option in the dropdown thing below the addressbar is "<whatever_you_type> - Google En Search", so you need to press the down arrow and then hit Enter to search.

Now think about what would happen if your issue was fixed. You will be able to type whatever in the address bar and just hit Enter to search. But if you want to open a specific url, you have to type a part of its name ("ubunt"), press down and then hit enter.

In essence either searching or opening an URL will have one more keypress than the other. I guess that the Chome/Chromium guys looked at some stats and found out that the address bar is used more frequently for opening URLs than for searching. So having the "open" function be one keystroke less (pressing "down" to select the next option) is a better choice. Thus "opening the autocompleted URL" is the default action for pressing Enter in the addressbar.

It would be good to have an option to change it. Sadly however, I doubt it will be implemented - I have the impression that the developers try to have a minimalistic/streamlined browser and any rarely used options are not considered for including.

EDIT: So I read OP's report more carefully. He makes a good point on having to visually verify whether your search term has been autocompleted or not.
    Last edited by spupy; June 7th, 2011 at 06:44 PM.
    make install - not war!

Oh hai!