Thread: PHP Globals and Values

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

PHP Globals and Values

I am building a website utilizing minimal PHP. My first application was using includes. I have inserted the following inside various elements such as <nav></nav> to streamline website wide changes.

Code:
    <?php include($_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT']."/static/nav.php"); ?>
    As you can see, I also used the Global variable (Not sure if that is precisely correct terminology) when "including" my 'nav.php' file. At first I was just using relative links. But then I decided it would be a lot easier if I could just do everything in relation to root. Then I discovered the HTML, CSS, and PHP think of different directories as root.

I believe that PHP considers '/' the actual root directory on the server, while HTML and CSS use the domains root directory (or the directory that the file being executed is in?)

Anyway, utilizing the $_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT']. text works, although I wasn't sure why it wasn't like this:
    <?php include("$_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT']/static/nav.php"); ?>
    Note that I dropped the '.' and put the $_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT'] inside the quotes with the /static/nav.php.

This seems much more intuitive to me, consider that I figured it would just substitute the text '/var/www' directly for the $_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT'].

What is the '.' for and why does it have to be outside the quotes??

Also, I wasn't able to get this method to work when the include was inside carrots. For instance. I have an include link to 'links.php'

The 'links.php' file looks like such:

Code:
    <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="<?php include(root_path); ?>/css/reset.css" />
    <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="<?php include(root_path); ?>/css/master-style.css" />
    <link rel="icon" type="image/png" href="<?php include(root_path); ?>/images/blue.png" />
    I could not make the previous server-'document_root' method work inside the <link /> element. But after creating an .htaccess file and adding the line:

Code:
    php_value root_path "/var/www"
    I was able to make it work.

I don't understand why I couldn't use the first method. This was the only way I could get this to work. Additionally, I couldn't use this method in the first scenario because it would involve putting an include inside an include.

Do I need to use both of these methods depending on the circumstances, or should I be able to utilize just one?

Any knowledge you would care to share on these topics, what is actually happening, what you recommend etc would be greatly appreciated!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: PHP Globals and Values

$_SERVER is an array of information provided by the web server software, Apache in this case. I recommend creating a page that consists solely of the command

Code:
    <? phpinfo() ?>
    If you put this code into something like "info.php" and view it with a browser, you'll see a vast array of information about your server and its PHP settings.

$_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT'] refers to the contents of the DocumentRoot directive in the <VirtualHost> container for a particular site. By default in Ubuntu the DocumentRoot is "/var/www" as defined in /etc/apache2/sites-enabled/000-default.

Next, I suggest dumping $_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT'] entirely and just defining a PHP variable that specifies the location of the included file(s). Something like:

Code:
    # note the trailing slash at the end
    $includes="/path/to/include/directory/";
    Then you can use "include($includes."script.php")" rather than the clunkier SERVER definition. I usually keep all my code outside the DocumentRoot, so I define a custom include directory in every script I write.

The dot is the concatenation operator connecting two strings. The code $includes."script.php" means take the contents of $includes and prepend it to "script.php". You'll find yourself using the dot more and more if you do much PHP scripting.

I believe the reason "$_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT']/script.php" doesn't work is that the parser can't determine that the string is supposed to be a concatenation. I discovered this problem years ago, and now regularly use include($something."script.php") out of habit.

The term "globals" refers to any variable that is available to both the main script and to any functions defined within that script via the "globals" command. Anything like "$includes" is a global; all the globals are also accessible in the $GLOBALS array which is defined automatically. So both $includes and $GLOBALS['includes'] contain the identical value. Things like $_SERVER are also global. PHP calls these "superglobals" to distinguish them from ordinary globals like $var. Superglobals are available even in class libraries, though ordinary globals are not.

Hope this helps!
    Last edited by SeijiSensei; June 6th, 2011 at 10:37 AM.

Beans

As SeijiSensei already said, the dot ('.') operator is for "putting stuff together".

For example:
    PHP Code:
    echo "Hello" " " "world!"
    would print "Hello world!" (without quotes of course).

In Java you would use '+' operator, in C++ '>>' and so on.
    Your left hand is touching your face.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
    $_SERVER is an array of information provided by the web server software, Apache in this case. I recommend creating a page that consists solely of the command

Code:
    <? phpinfo() ?>
    If you put this code into something like "info.php" and view it with a browser, you'll see a vast array of information about your server and its PHP settings.

$_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT'] refers to the contents of the DocumentRoot directive in the <VirtualHost> container for a particular site. By default in Ubuntu the DocumentRoot is "/var/www" as defined in /etc/apache2/sites-enabled/000-default.

Next, I suggest dumping $_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT'] entirely and just defining a PHP variable that specifies the location of the included file(s). Something like:

Code:
    # note the trailing slash at the end
    $includes="/path/to/include/directory/";
    Then you can use "include($includes."script.php")" rather than the clunkier SERVER definition. I usually keep all my code outside the DocumentRoot, so I define a custom include directory in every script I write.

The dot is the concatenation operator connecting two strings. The code $includes."script.php" means take the contents of $includes and prepend it to "script.php". You'll find yourself using the dot more and more if you do much PHP scripting.

I believe the reason "$_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT']/script.php" doesn't work is that the parser can't determine that the string is supposed to be a concatenation. I discovered this problem years ago, and now regularly use include($something."script.php") out of habit.

The term "globals" refers to any variable that is available to both the main script and to any functions defined within that script via the "globals" command. Anything like "$includes" is a global; all the globals are also accessible in the $GLOBALS array which is defined automatically. So both $includes and $GLOBALS['includes'] contain the identical value. Things like $_SERVER are also global. PHP calls these "superglobals" to distinguish them from ordinary globals like $var. Superglobals are available even in class libraries, though ordinary globals are not.

Hope this helps!
    Thank you so much for the response. The <? phpinfo() ?> command is really cool!

In regards to php variables, I am having trouble defining a variable in the manner you described. If I want to define and call a variable in the manner you described, after some googleing I figured I needed to do something like this.

Code:
    <?php
    $includes = "/includes/directory/";
    ?>
    However, I don't know where to put this code. It doesn't seem to work in .htaccess (without the <?php ?> of course). And, I can't use an include to put this script in the <head></head> elements (if that would even work) because I wan't my include to use the variable, and that would create a circular scenario.

I read about a php.ini file. But apparently these need to be in each directory. I need to somehow create my path directory variable in a single file, and have the variable be callable in at least two settings. The first being inside an include like this:
    Code:
    <element>
    <? php include($includes."/static/something.php") ?;>
    </element>
    And the second something like this:
    Code:
    <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="<?php include($includes."/css/reset.css"); ?>"
    However, neither of these options is working for me using the .htaccess line:
    Code:
    php_value includes "/var/www"
    I just can't figure out how to set a variable that will be recognized anywhere the string is found. Something I can call useing the $ symbol.

Additionally, on my local machine I can change what ever I want, however on my webhosting server I am only privy to a particular directory inside /home, so I won't be able to edit all files.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bcn17 View Post
    Thank you so much for the response. The <? phpinfo() ?> command is really cool!

In regards to php variables, I am having trouble defining a variable in the manner you described. If I want to define and call a variable in the manner you described, after some googleing I figured I needed to do something like this.

Code:
    <?php
    $includes = "/includes/directory/";
    ?>
    However, I don't know where to put this code. It doesn't seem to work in .htaccess (without the <?php ?> of course). And, I can't use an include to put this script in the <head></head> elements (if that would even work) because I wan't my include to use the variable, and that would create a circular scenario.

I read about a php.ini file. But apparently these need to be in each directory. I need to somehow create my path directory variable in a single file, and have the variable be callable in at least two settings. The first being inside an include like this:
    Code:
    <element>
    <? php include($includes."/static/something.php") ?;>
    </element>
    And the second something like this:
    Code:
    <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="<?php include($includes."/css/reset.css"); ?>"
    However, neither of these options is working for me using the .htaccess line:
    Code:
    php_value includes "/var/www"
    I just can't figure out how to set a variable that will be recognized anywhere the string is found. Something I can call useing the $ symbol.

Additionally, on my local machine I can change what ever I want, however on my webhosting server I am only privy to a particular directory inside /home, so I won't be able to edit all files.
    Session variables can be accessed everywhere. Look them up.

Beans

Session variables can be accessed everywhere. Look them up.
    That's really not a good idea for what he's wanting to do.

bcn17, why do you even need this var? How often do you plan on even changing your directory structure? Read http://php.net/include to understand how PHP will find the file you're wanting (you don't need to give it an absolute path)

However, I don't know where to put this code. It doesn't seem to work in .htaccess (without the <?php ?> of course).
    This shows you need to step back and go back to even more basics. .htaccess is an Apache feature that lets you tweak the server configuration, it has 100% nothing to do with PHP so of course putting PHP code in this file will just result in an internal server error within Apache.

I suggest you read through http://devzone.zend.com/article/627 and the PHP manual before you continue.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by bcn17 View Post
    Anyway, utilizing the $_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT']. text works, although I wasn't sure why it wasn't like this:

Note that I dropped the '.' and put the $_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT'] inside the quotes with the /static/nav.php.
    <?php include("$_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT']/static/nav.php"); ?>
    This seems much more intuitive to me, consider that I figured it would just substitute the text '/var/www' directly for the $_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT'].

What is the '.' for and why does it have to be outside the quotes??
    You can use curly brackets to delimit variables in a double quoted string, for example this will work as expected and include the correct file:
    PHP Code:
    <?php include("{$_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT']}/static/nav.php"); ?>
    This is not only useful with arrays but also with plain variables, for example:
    PHP Code:
    <?php
      $myvar 
    "Hello ";
      echo 
    "{$myvar}World";
    ?>
    will print:
    Code:
    Hello World
    but
    PHP Code:
    <?php
      $myvar 
    "Hello ";
      echo 
    "$myvarWorld";
    ?>
    will print nothing and throw an "Undefined variable $myvarWorld" E_ALL 'notice' exception.

On an unrelated note, include is not function call, but a language construct so
    PHP Code:
    <?php

include("myfile.php");
    ?>
    and
    PHP Code:
    <?php

include "myfile.php";
    ?>
    are actually equivalent.

Rouslan

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by AlexC_ View Post
    That's really not a good idea for what he's wanting to do.
    I was just answering the question . But really, why not just use plain include?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Yeah I would use php_info(); or use include('');