Thread: Easy shift / ctrl / AltGr / etc hack on xf86-input-evdev

Threaded View

Beans

Easy shift / ctrl / AltGr... hack

Hi. This hack provides for example "space/shift dual role key". When you press the space key alone, it's a space; but when you press it with another key, it's a shift. Any pairs of keys are possible. This means your hands stay almost always at their home postion. Now I can't type comfortably without it.

It's a fork of Xorg "evdev" driver (= xf86-input-evdev, or in debian/ubuntu xserver-xorg-input-evdev).

* Readme tells the detail.
    * homepage. You can get the source tarball and git access instruction.

FAQ
    Q: Can I input Shift+Space if my Space is Space/Shift dual-role key?
    A: Turn both of your Space and Shift into Space/Shift keys.

News for 2.8.0 (Jun 2013)
    Merges the upstream 2.8.0, and has no changes in ahm itself since 2.7.3. For full changes, read README, "News" section:

Installation
    I'm not a debian-ish distro user! Fortunately, there's an Ubuntu PPA for this hack contributed by Yuri Khan. (Thanks!) I don't give general instruction and caution on PPA here. Use it at your own risk, but the source package may be nice; at least looking into debian/ directory will help.

Alternatives
    * xcape. See the homepage for how to compile. It's a userland software, so you don't have to catch up the upgrade of xf86-input-evdev.
    * Obsolete alternatives are Space2Ctrl in C++ and keydouble in C, which is a fork of Space2Ctrl.

Notice
    Probably I don't develop any more this hack as a fork of xf86-input-evdev. It's better to do all in user space, rather than as an X driver.

If you want some progress, improve xcape. I'm also interested in a rewrite in Python, which will be easier to allow flexible configuration. It'd be great if it'd be integrated into AutoKey, but its development seems to have stopped.

With best regards.
    Last edited by teika; June 27th, 2013 at 02:13 PM. Reason: Updated for 2.8.0 release.