Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Easy shift / ctrl / AltGr / etc hack on xf86-input-evdev

Beans

Merged 2.7.0

Xorg has released xf86-input-evdev-2.7.0. It has multitouch support.

I've merged it to my hack, which is available at the GIT repo, "master" branch. I don't make a release at least for a week, but you can try it. (It's been running for 30 min without problem. =)

To use the multitouch support, you need:
    * >=xorg-server-1.11.99.901
    * >=inputproto-2.1.99.3
    * mtdev

At-home-modifier itself doesn't have any progress since the last release.

I don't have any multitouch device, so I won't test it.

Beans

Re: Easy shift / ctrl / AltGr / etc hack on xf86-input-evdev

Hi, folks. Not a news of ahm update, but of a good keyboard.

keyboard glossary:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keyboard_technology
    http://www.overclock.net/t/491752/me...keyboard-guide

I recommend Japanese keyboards for at-home-modifier, because you can press many keys with thumbs. Image here:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:KB_Japanese.svg

The bottom row of my keyboard is:
    Esc-BS-Spc-Ret-Tab and
    Alt-Shift-Ctrl-Shift-Alt
    (The middle one is the space bar.) as described in the README of ahm. Japanese keyboards enable such stunt which is really comfy.

I use a membrane keyboard, whose touch is bad for your finger. There hasn't been good keyboards with enough many thumb keys.

Recently a new keyboard with "cherry mx brown switch", OWL-KB109BM(B)IIB, came out:
    http://www.owltech.co.jp/products/ke...09BM_B_II.html (Japanese)
    You can buy one from amozon.co.jp, at 8000 yen or so (roughly equal to $100; these days yen is high.). They offer an English interface, too. I dislike google/apple/amazon monopoly, though. (Who likes?)
    There's also "cherry mx blue" one, OWL-KB109BM(B)II, too. They say blue is noisy.

There's already many other cherry switch or capacitive switch Japanese keyboards, but they have a long space bar, which doesn't suit my purpose.

I haven't bought yet. Not cheap, but interesting. Night night.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Merged 2.7.0

I have built a 2.7.0 AHM package for Precise; it seems to work for me.

https://launchpad.net/~yurivkhan/+archive/ahm

Beans

Thanks, Yuri-ちゃん!

FYI, starting from 2.7.0, xserver-xorg-input-evdev can be built with the support of mtdev. (Called libmtdev in debian.) It's a multitouch protocol handler. In quantal (the next Ubuntu), mtdev support is enabled, so it'll be better for ahm to add it too. (Not necessry now.)

Regards.

Beans

At-home-modifier-2.7.1 is released. (Called whimsically 2.7.1, not 2.7.0.) It merges the upstream 2.7.0, but has no changes in ahm since 2.6.4.

The Xorg's 2.7.0 has mulitouch support. If you want it, you need Xorg server >= 1.11.99.901 and "mtdev" library.

Modifications from the upstream 2.7.0 are:
    * An upstream bugfix of horizontal scroll, X.Org Bug 46205, is included. (The fix is published after the 2.7.0 release.)
    * Added an option to configure script "--without-mtdev". The upstream code always checks mtdev, and enables it when found. If you don't pass the above option, it falls back to the original behavior.

Read README for the details.

* Source tarball
    * Patch against Xorg's original 2.7.0

I don't write Debian support for 2.7.1.

Notice
    Probably I don't develop any more this hack as a fork of xf86-input-evdev. It's better to do all in user space, not as an X driver. (And personally I'm terribly weakened.)

If you want some progress, improve "Keydouble" or so. I'm also interested in a rewrite in Python, which will be easier to allow flexible configuration. (In reality I don't think I'll ever write one.) It'll be great if it's integrated to AutoKey, but the AutoKey developer is not interested.

To make these hacks more popular, you can upvote my answer here to a question on Emacs Pinky in StackOverflow.

Regards.
    Last edited by teika; June 6th, 2012 at 10:10 AM. Reason: Suppiled the reason (Do all in user space)

Beans

ahm-2.7.3 released.

Hi. At-home-modifier-2.7.3 is released. It merges the upstream 2.7.3, but has no changes in ahm itself since the last release, 2.7.1.

Sources:
    * The full source tarball
    * The patch against Xorg's original 2.7.3

I don't write Debian support for 2.7.3, but Yuri Khan seems to have already published (wow) 2.7.3. See his PPA.

...Well, I can't update the first post, which is my own, of this thread. WTF.

Regards.
    Last edited by teika; November 20th, 2012 at 08:10 AM. Reason: Added "I can't update the first post"

Beans

There's another alternative, xcape by Albin Olsson. It replaces keydouble and space2ctrl.

It's not in Debian/Ubuntu. See the homepage for how to compile.

Beans

Hi. I release at-home-modifier-2.8.0. It merges the upstream 2.8.0, but has no changes in ahm itself since the last release, ahm-2.7.3. Those with new devices may want to use it. Don't worry, the dependency is the same as upstream-2.7.3, Raring's version.

* Upstream news for 2.8.0

Sources:
    * The full source tarball
    * The patch against Xorg's original 2.8.0

I don't write a Debian-ish support for 2.8.0. Please consult PPA by Yuri Khan.

Regards.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12