Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast

Thread: XPS 15z Fail

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: XPS 15z Fail

Quote Originally Posted by SavageCHRIS View Post
    There is a good write up here on how to get Bumblebee working properly on 11.10, including power management. http://www.ivegotavirus.com/blog/201...11-10-oneiric/
    It's just a rip off of what I've written on the last page. Even it has the same order (aspm_pcie, bumblebee and Intel tweaks). At least you could mention that you based your guide in another user's guide.

If you try to get more visits to your blog, don't rip other people's work without giving credit.
    Last edited by morefeo; November 7th, 2011 at 04:49 AM.

Beans

root@xps:~# cat /proc/acpi/battery/BAT0/state
    present: yes
    capacity state: ok
    charging state: discharging
    present rate: 2111 mW
    remaining capacity: 4067 mWh
    present voltage: 16057 mV

Battery draining fast

Tried some acpi_call echo's, but none seem to work.. installed ironhide, etc.. anyone here has some more pointers?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by morefeo View Post
    It's just a rip off of what I've written on the last page. Even it has the same order (aspm_pcie, bumblebee and Intel tweaks). At least you could mention that you based your guide in another user's guide.

If you try to get more visits to your blog, don't rip other people's work without giving credit.
    If you look at the site there is another bumblebee post that was written on the 1st of September 2011 and the one I linked is just an updated version of that. No one is trying to steal your work, that's just how you install bumblebee, you can't do it any other way.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by SavageCHRIS View Post
    If you look at the site there is another bumblebee post that was written on the 1st of September 2011 and the one I linked is just an updated version of that. No one is trying to steal your work, that's just how you install bumblebee, you can't do it any other way.
    The other bumblebee post is another way of turning off the nvidia card, that's all. On the last post you just ripped my entire comment, you follow the same order even if it does not matter what you do first.

It's easy to see because you have no idea of what you are talking about on the post. Pcie_aspm and the Intel tweaks have nothing to do with bumblebee, just for longer battery life.

It's just a copy/paste of my post, phoronix page, the links I posted where a user tells everybody how to make acpi calls work in dell xps 15 z and the last comment I said to you.

At least you should give credit to who wrote all that, the bumblebee user and the phoronix owner.

Beans

Its clearly stated that them tweaks are nothing to do with bumblebee, "These tweaks are not necessary in getting ‘Optimus’ working but can give you a significant boost in battery life." - quoted from the blog, so you obviously haven't read it.

I'm not using this thread to argue with you, this is a place to help people, not get upset because you think you should get credit for something (that you shouldn't).

Has your post been copied and pasted ? NO, did you create bumblebee ? NO, so whats your problem ? because I don't see why you have one.
    Last edited by SavageCHRIS; November 7th, 2011 at 05:44 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Have you create that post copying on mine? Yes. Have you give credit to other people work and textual words (like Phoronix)? No. Have you post that guide without research, stealing other people words and posting in every related thread here to get more visits? Oh, hell yeah.

That's all. Help is good, but hey, your post is exactly what I wrote few comments ago so it's not necessary to write that URL everywhere.

Beans

so am i to understand that installing bumblebee will fix the tap-to-click trackpad issue?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by ronnystickshift View Post
    so am i to understand that installing bumblebee will fix the tap-to-click trackpad issue?
    You cannot fix it because cypress has no drivers for linux. You'll need to wait for them to make ones or reverse engineering from any other people.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I know this thread has been inactive for some time, I cant get my XPS 15z to boot Precise, even following the wiki (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HardwareSupp...s/Dell/XPS/15z) I get issues. It either hangs in the boot process or once it gets going it dumps me back on my regular grub boot menu. Has anyone had the same issue?

And I thought we were done with these issues for a new LTS release...
    Anybody else still using natty?

Beans

I have managed to install 12.04 on my XPS 15z. I initially wanted to do a fresh install (from CD of USB thumb drive) as every kernel update that had been installed since 11.04 had caused a kernel panic when I tried to boot with it, so I was unsure that I would be able to get the new kernels working.

In the end, I could not manage to install either from CD or USB thumb drive - I don't know what was going wrong. I updated via the Internet, going from 11.04 -> 11.10 -> 12.04. Interestingly (and worryingly at the time), I still saw the kernel panic after the first upgrade and it wasn't until upgrading to 12.04 that I could use the newest installed kernel (which was a real relief).

Since then, everything has been going fine with the only noticable issues being startup and shut-down, both of which take an absolute age - the speed of these is something Ubuntu has previously been proud of!

I know I have not managed to resolve your issue - but at least you can see that there are people out there who have managed to get Ubuntu working properly.

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast