Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast

Thread: XPS 15z Fail

Beans

Re: XPS 15z Fail

morefeo, thank you so much for replying! i ended up doing a fresh install of 11.10. the first reboot went fine, ubuntu loaded right up, but the keyboard and trackpad still didn't work. however, i coincidentally had a USB keyboard and mouse and those worked immediately after plugging in, and i was able to use them to log in and make the changes suggested by you (and others). now, the keyboard and trackpad are working perfectly.

Cheers!

Beans

Hey morefeo are you using 11.10 ?

I followed your instructions but I'm having trouble getting my nvidia card to switch off.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by SavageCHRIS View Post
    Hey morefeo are you using 11.10 ?

I followed your instructions but I'm having trouble getting my nvidia card to switch off.
    Yes, 11.10, what problem have you got?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by morefeo View Post
    Yes, 11.10, what problem have you got?
    I followed the steps in the link you posted to switch off the nvidia chip, but it doesn't appear to have done anything because my battery still lasts about an hour.

Beans
    Distro

I missed a part, you need to install acpi-tools in order to make the acpi calls work.

Code:
    sudo apt-get install acpi-call-tools

Beans

I have already installed the acpi tools but it still doesn't seem to be switching off, what nvidia card have you got ? mines the GT540m.

thank you for trying to help me

Beans
    Distro

525m, ACPI calls are different between cards, that's why it doesn't work. You'll need to find the right calls for yours.

Try with these calls:

http://hybrid-graphics-linux.tuxfami...tle=ACPI_calls With models XPS L502X and M11xR3 A01
    Last edited by morefeo; November 3rd, 2011 at 04:33 AM.

Beans

I have managed to get the card switched off but it is still using a lot of power, my fans are loud and I read someone else on here with the same problem. Thanks for the help.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by spjakob View Post
    Anyone who could help me on how to disable "tap to click", "scroolwheel emulation" and similar features on trackpad after using the fix to enable trackpad?
    In the GUI, the trackpad appears to be a very basic PS2 mouse with no settings...
    hi all, i read through the whole thread but never found a response for this. following the advice in this thread has worked great for me so far with this laptop but i haven't been able to disable tap-to-click either. i have the same problem in the GUI as jakob describes

i saw in another thread to try "synclient MaxTapTime=0" but when i do that i get an error message: "Couldn't find synaptics properties. No synaptics driver loaded?" which i guess means it doesn't realize there's a trackpad, even though the trackpad has full functionality.

Beans

There is a good write up here on how to get Bumblebee working properly on 11.10, including power management. http://www.ivegotavirus.com/blog/201...11-10-oneiric/

Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast