Thread: ntop Network Triffic Monitoring. Making sense of it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Question ntop Network Triffic Monitoring. Making sense of it.

I installed ntop, it works, I can log into http://myserver:3000.

Only problem is that the information it represents is not as easy/intuitive as I expected.

Its like ntop doesn't understand my network hierarchy/topology. I'd like to tell ntop to monitor my network interface ppp0 (maybe a bad idea?) and I'd like to make it aware that 192.168.0.0/24 is my local network. Everything else is alien/internet traffic. I'd also like to be able to show IPv4 traffic only (by means of disabling routing of IPv6).

I know IPv6 is the future, but I'm definitely not making use of it yet, and would like to disable it until such a time that I understand it and am using it.

I'm running Ubuntu server with Shorewall as firewall, and the following interfaces:

br0 -> local network -> 192.168.0.0/24
    Firewall System -> 192.168.0.1
    ppp0 -> internet -> dynamic ip

I've configured /etc/ntop/ntop.conf to look like:
    Code:
    --user ntop
    --daemon
    --db-file-path /usr/share/ntop
    --interface br0,ppp0
    -m 192.168.0.0/24
    --trace-level 3 # Which is the default
    --http-server 3001
    then did a
    Code:
    sudo service ntop stop
    sudo service ntop start
    but ntop still works on port 3000 indicating that it doesn't use the config file. I've found ntop stores some settings under /var/lib/ntop/init.cfg. Mine looks like this:
    Code:
    USER="ntop"
    INTERFACES="br0"
    It seems to work, but it still doesn't recognize my local subnet etc and I can't set any of the other options.

Is ntop the right program? Are you guys using this or something else? If you are using ntop, what configurations did you use?

Thanks.
    Last edited by Demented ZA; June 5th, 2011 at 11:13 PM.