Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Atheros "ath5k" Wireless Not Working

Beans

Atheros "ath5k" Wireless Not Working

Hello. I've followed a few different steps to try and solve the wireless issue, but no luck so far. I have a Compaq Presario CQ60 with Atheros 5001 "ath5k" driver and module. I use "WPA & WPA 2 Personal" security.

I first did "rfkill list all" to see what was being blocked, and at the time, I had this:
    0: hp-wifi: Wireless LAN
    Soft blocked: no
    Hard blocked: yes
    1: phy0: Wireless LAN
    Sometimes the soft options were blocked, sometimes the hard. So I did "rfkill unblock all" which sometimes unblocked, sometimes didn't. I did "rfkill unblock wifi" which worked sometimes and sometimes didn't. After a reboot, it was working, but after another reboot, "rfkill unblock all" and "rfkill unblock wifi" consistently didn't work. I also tried the physical wireless toggle switch, which seemed to help in the first attempt, but after the reboot, didn't work.

So I followed these instructions written by chili555 from this thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=10748476#post10748476%22]11.04%20%22Natty%20wireless%20issue%20-%20Acer%20-%20Device%20not%20ready,%20rfkill%20soft%20auto%20 blocked):
    Code:
    sudo rmmod -f acer-wmi sudo rfkill unblock all rfkill list all
    Code: sudo su echo "blacklist acer-wmi" >> /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf gedit /etc/rc.local
    Add one line above Exit 0 Code:
    rfkill unblock all
    Instead of "acer-wmi" I put my "hp-wmi". So now my hp-wifi is gone when I type "rfkill list all" and all that shows is this:

kevin@deep-thought:~$ rfkill list all
    0: phy0: Wireless LAN
    Hard blocked: no

And at the time, wireless was working, but then it disconnected after reboot, and can only search for the connection but can't connect. The other wireless networks were visible when it connected, but now they aren't. I can click "connect to hidden wireless network" and it attempts to connect to my network, but it tries and tries before asking me for my pass, which is typed correctly. It just won't connect.

I came across this thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=10884683), but I'm leery of messing around more with codes and commands I don't understand (I feel like I've done enough messing around as is).

Here is my output from
    dmesg | grep ath
    sudo iwlist wlan0 scan:

kevin@deep-thought:~$ dmesg | grep ath
    [ 1.054391] device-mapper: multipath: version 1.2.0 loaded
    [ 1.054394] device-mapper: multipath round-robin: version 1.0.0 loaded
    [ 14.630426] ath5k 0000:02:00.0: PCI INT A -> GSI 17 (level, low) -> IRQ 17
    [ 14.630440] ath5k 0000:02:00.0: setting latency timer to 64
    [ 14.630494] ath5k 0000:02:00.0: registered as 'phy0'
    [ 15.136257] ath: EEPROM regdomain: 0x64
    [ 15.136260] ath: EEPROM indicates we should expect a direct regpair map
    [ 15.136263] ath: Country alpha2 being used: 00
    [ 15.136265] ath: Regpair used: 0x64
    [ 15.177849] Registered led device: ath5k-phy0::rx
    [ 15.177931] Registered led device: ath5k-phy0::tx
    [ 15.177942] ath5k phy0: Atheros AR2425 chip found (MAC: 0xe2, PHY: 0x70)
    kevin@deep-thought:~$ sudo iwlist wlan0 scan
    [sudo] password for kevin:
    wlan0 No scan results
    Sorry for such a long post! Any help is much appreciated.
    Last edited by Kevin-dell1100; June 5th, 2011 at 06:05 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Atheros "ath5k" Wireless Not Working

Hi
    Why cant you try Madwifi drivers?
    See my blog http://ubuntucrack.blogspot.com/2010_07_18_archive.html
    With regards
    Dr Kurian
    Microsoft gives you Windows... Linux gives you the whole house.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by drpjkurian View Post
    Hi
    Why cant you try Madwifi drivers?
    See my blog http://ubuntucrack.blogspot.com/2010_07_18_archive.html
    By default, in Natty, ath_pci is blacklisted. If you install madwifi, please be sure to do:
    Code:
    sudo rm /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-ath_pci.conf
    You might read the file for important information before you proceed.

You might also consider the compat-wireless suite.
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, Ph.D.

Beans

My friend (who's out of town) is the one I go to for Ubuntu help, but for this issue he had said a new release of Ubuntu should automatically compensate for my system's wireless problem rather than me having to install Madwifi. Unfortunately, that was since 9.04.

In any case, I can try Madwifi by following the instructions on your blog, drpjkurian, but should I do what you posted, Chili555 before or after I install Madwifi?

Also, should I undo any of the changes I already made by blacklisting hp-wmi and the rmmod command?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

should I do what you posted, Chili555 before or after I install Madwifi?
    Before.
    should I undo any of the changes I already made by blacklisting hp-wmi and the rmmod command?
    Nope. Please post your experience so we all, including the searchers, learn from it.
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, Ph.D.

Beans

I followed both of your instructions. Actually, to be honest, I forgot to do Chili555's instructions before installing MadWifi, so I started again this time doing Chili555's, then following drpjkurian's blog instructions.

I can now connect wirelessly, but only after I first start with my wired connection, then I push the wireless toggle button, and then voila, I see all the wireless networks I can connect to, plus my own, and it works to connect. But if I unplug the wired, then reboot, I have no wireless. So to get it back, I plug in the wired, press the toggle switch, then I get my wireless.

Any thoughts on this?

Beans

Here's an update from when I came home this evening. It's similar to before, but now my wireless isn't working.

When I booted up tonight, I couldn't see any wireless networks. It said wireless disabled. I unplugged my wired cable and I clicked on "connect to hidden wireless network" and chose my network. It couldn't connect (eventually asked for my password). So I plugged my wired cable back in again. It continued to try to connect to my wireless, but I gave up on it and disconnected after the third time it showed me the password prompt (which, again, I know I'm typing in the right password in case you're wondering).

I pushed the wireless toggle button on my laptop, and then I saw the list of the other available networks including my own. I clicked on my network, but it just wouldn't work. I also tried connecting to one of the non-password protected networks, but no luck.

What do you think is going on here?

Also, why does my "rfkill list all" command not show me anything any more?

Here's my terminal output from iwconfig and ifconfig (I'm not sure which other outputs you'd like to see):
    kevin@deep-thought:~$ iwconfig
    lo no wireless extensions.

eth0 no wireless extensions.

wifi0 no wireless extensions.

ath0 IEEE 802.11g ESSID:"Heavyfoot"
    Mode:Managed Frequency:2.422 GHz Access Point: 00:21:91:E9:44:97
    Bit Rate:1 Mb/s Tx-Power:16 dBm Sensitivity=1/1
    Retryff RTS thrff Fragment thrff
    Power Managementff
    Link Quality=2/70 Signal level=-94 dBm Noise level=-96 dBm
    Rx invalid nwid:9400 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
    Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0

kevin@deep-thought:~$ ifconfig
    ath0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:24:2c:52:f9:5e
    inet6 addr: fe80::224:2cff:fe52:f95e/64 Scope:Link
    UP BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
    RX packets:270 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:135 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
    RX bytes:36450 (36.4 KB) TX bytes:18225 (18.2 KB)

eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:1f:16:d6:21:06
    inet addr:192.168.1.137 Bcast:192.168.1.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
    inet6 addr: fe80::21f:16ff:fed6:2106/64 Scope:Link
    UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
    RX packets:693 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:827 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
    RX bytes:533326 (533.3 KB) TX bytes:198090 (198.0 KB)
    Interrupt:42 Base address:0x4000

lo Link encap:Local Loopback
    inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
    inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
    UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
    RX packets:556 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:556 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
    RX bytes:51760 (51.7 KB) TX bytes:51760 (51.7 KB)

wifi0 Link encap:UNSPEC HWaddr 00-24-2C-52-F9-5E-30-30-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00
    UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
    RX packets:14254 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:1739
    TX packets:2356 errors:129 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:280
    RX bytes:3098584 (3.0 MB) TX bytes:179510 (179.5 KB)
    Interrupt:17

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Sorry for the delay in responding. We had a power outage due to severe weather. I apologize in advance for my response. I have no desire to get into a disagreement with one of our very helpful posters, but I think your wireless is not working as well now as before you installed Madwifi. If you agree, would you like to uninstall Madwifi and try compat-wireless?

When you boot up without the cable plugged in is ath_pci loaded?
    Code:
    lsmod | grep ath
    Does pressing the wireless switch have no effect? Does reloading acer-wmi make your switch effective?
    Code:
    sudo modprobe acer-wmi

Beans

I booted up without the cable, and checked lsmod | grep ath which showed this:
    kevin@deep-thought:~$ lsmod | grep ath
    ath_rate_sample 17279 1
    ath_pci 183044 0
    wlan 224640 4 wlan_scan_sta,ath_rate_sample,ath_pci
    ath_hal 398701 3 ath_rate_sample,ath_pci
    So I pressed the wireless switch, but no effect. I tried reloading the wmi, which is actually hp-wmi, not acer-wmi (My original post included the instructions that were for an acer-wmi problem, but I simply replaced that with "hp-wmi" on my own machine). But just to be sure I wasn't misunderstanding something, I first tried it with acer-wmi. Here's what I put into my terminal:
    kevin@deep-thought:~$ sudo modprobe acer-wmi
    [sudo] password for kevin:
    WARNING: All config files need .conf: /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist, it will be ignored in a future release.
    FATAL: Error inserting acer_wmi (/lib/modules/2.6.38-8-generic/kernel/drivers/platform/x86/acer-wmi.ko): No such device
    kevin@deep-thought:~$ sudo modprobe hp-wmi
    WARNING: All config files need .conf: /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist, it will be ignored in a future release.
    Then a notification appeared that said "wireless disconnected" which is odd considering that it never was connected.

Anyway, after this, I tried rfkill commands:
    Soft blocked: yes
    Soft blocked: yes
    kevin@deep-thought:~$ rfkill unblock wifi
    By the way, that hard block went away after I pushed my wireless switch.

After this, I could see all potential wireless networks (actually, I may have seen these after re-loading hp-wmi, I can't recall), including my own. I clicked on mine, tried to connect, no dice. It kept trying and trying, then it prompted me for the password, and even though I felt that this would be futile, it tried connecting for a long time again, and then suddenly it connected!

What on earth?

I'll see if this current setup continues to work throughout the day. I'll try a reboot after this, then I'll need to leave for work and will try rebooting when I get back. If there continue to be issues, I'd be up for trying compat-wireless so long as I get really detailed instructions.

Beans

Okay, after a reboot without my cable plugged in, I had the same issue as in my post above. I could see the other wireless networks, but pressing my switch did nothing. Then I repeated the steps you posted before, Chili555. After I re-loaded hp-wmi, I used rfkill to see about any blocks, saw the soft and hard blocked, pressed the wireless switch, saw the hard unblocked like last time, then did rfkill unblock wifi and both soft and hard were unblocked. I clicked on my network and hey presto, I'm here using the wireless to send you my update.

If I could make this permanent without having to manually re-load hp-wmi and unblock my hard and soft, I'd be fine with this. Is this what you think compat-wireless may do for me?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast