Thread: Ubuntu 11.04 freezes

Beans

Ubuntu 11.04 freezes

I'm running Ubuntu 11.04 64 bit and it keeps freezing, necessitating a switch off and re-boot. This happens not only when I'm working on a page, but every time the computer is unattended for a few minutes. This is maddening! Any solutions out there? Have had no problems with previous versions...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Ubuntu 11.04 freezes

having a similar problem myself. new to ubuntu all together, but zorin and fedora 15 i also ran 64 bit perfectly. 11.04 is running well but sometimes it just freezes? if im doing nothing, not really when im actually putting it to use. very odd
    Acer Aspire i3 4GB ram 2.63GHZ 640GB HDD...all together. pleh. i miss my toshiba

Beans
    Distro

damn there's really nothing to say about this? so annoying. it happens a lot when my computer is idle or when i open the lid after closing it for a short period(<2mins)
    Acer Aspire i3 4GB ram 2.63GHZ 640GB HDD...all together. pleh. i miss my toshiba

Beans
    Distro

My ubuntu 64-bit also occasionally freezes when I try to wake it up from hibernation. I temporarily fixed that by changing the power settings that it stays in suspended mode for longer before hibernating.
    Acer M3203 6gb 1.5tb AMD Athlon II X4 NVIDIA GeForce GT320 1024MB

Beans
    Distro

ahh, ok. ill give that a shot. mine will freeze just from the lid being closed...set to Do Nothing not Standby even.
    might just be something to live with.
    is there a big downfall to 32bit? i don't really do any gaming on my comp. downloading and multimedia.

Beans

Hey guys, I'm on 32-bit, but was having the same problems as you describe with a Toshiba Satellite C650D (Atheros wireless).

I seem to have fixed it (no guarantees!) with a kernel upgrade, have you guys tried that?

more details about what i did (laptop's uptime is 6:00 at the moment) at http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...1#post11045204