Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 31 to 38 of 38

Thread: Winbuntu!

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Beans
    337
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: Winbuntu!

    This is Linux. It gives you a cute mascot and enough rope to hang yourself!

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    /home/brandon
    Beans
    118
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

    Re: Winbuntu!

    Quote Originally Posted by Timmer1240 View Post
    Beautiful work Thank you.
    “Flow with whatever may happen, and let your mind be free: Stay centered by accepting whatever you are doing. This is the ultimate.”
    ― Zhuangzi

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Beans
    Hidden!

    Re: Winbuntu!

    Please stop re-themeing Ubuntu and releasing it as another distro.

  4. #34
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Beans
    525

    Re: Winbuntu!

    Quote Originally Posted by Spice Weasel View Post
    Please stop re-themeing Ubuntu and releasing it as another distro.
    Or if you do, don't violate copyright/trademark agreements. First you are violating the Ubuntu/Canonical trademarks.

    http://www.ubuntu.com/aboutus/trademarkpolicy

    I'm not going to find Microsoft's trademark documentation, but I'm fairly certain that using what is essentially their name and logo isn't within their legally binding terms.

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    /home/brandon
    Beans
    118
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

    Re: Winbuntu!

    Quote Originally Posted by Spice Weasel View Post
    Please stop re-themeing Ubuntu and releasing it as another distro.
    Nah. People are going to do what they want, regardless whether other people like it or not.
    “Flow with whatever may happen, and let your mind be free: Stay centered by accepting whatever you are doing. This is the ultimate.”
    ― Zhuangzi

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    /home/brandon
    Beans
    118
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

    Re: Winbuntu!

    Quote Originally Posted by unknownPoster View Post
    Or if you do, don't violate copyright/trademark agreements. First you are violating the Ubuntu/Canonical trademarks.

    http://www.ubuntu.com/aboutus/trademarkpolicy

    I'm not going to find Microsoft's trademark documentation, but I'm fairly certain that using what is essentially their name and logo isn't within their legally binding terms.
    Meh I told em, but they kept whining for me to put it out there, so I did. I did take a look afterward at the TM policy, and then yanked the site down, much to the dismay (read: CONSTANT COMPLAINING) of the others.
    Besides that, the main project is finally up anyway, which is what Winbuntu was the placeholder for.
    But as for
    if you do, don't violate copyright/trademark agreements. First you are violating the Ubuntu/Canonical trademarks.
    tens, if not hundreds, of windows flags and ubuntu circles get uploaded to Gnome/KDE-Look everyday.
    “Flow with whatever may happen, and let your mind be free: Stay centered by accepting whatever you are doing. This is the ultimate.”
    ― Zhuangzi

  7. #37
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Beans
    525

    Re: Winbuntu!

    Quote Originally Posted by BrandonC19 View Post
    But as for tens, if not hundreds, of windows flags and ubuntu circles get uploaded to Gnome/KDE-Look everyday.
    I can tell you didn't read the Trademark documentation. Those logos don't violate trademark because they are the official logos.

    Your main violation is the name "Winbuntu" if you would have read the trademark info you would see this. Any form of the *buntu such as Kubuntu, Xubuntu, Lubuntu, and "Winbuntu" must be approved by Canonical.

    Until then you are required to label yourself as an Ubuntu Remix or Respin. For example, "BrandonC19's Ubuntu Respin" or "Ubuntu Windows Remix" would be within the terms of the trademark agreement.

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    /home/brandon
    Beans
    118
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

    Re: Winbuntu!

    Quote Originally Posted by unknownPoster View Post
    I can tell you didn't read the Trademark documentation. Those logos don't violate trademark because they are the official logos.

    Your main violation is the name "Winbuntu" if you would have read the trademark info you would see this. Any form of the *buntu such as Kubuntu, Xubuntu, Lubuntu, and "Winbuntu" must be approved by Canonical.

    Until then you are required to label yourself as an Ubuntu Remix or Respin. For example, "BrandonC19's Ubuntu Respin" or "Ubuntu Windows Remix" would be within the terms of the trademark agreement.
    Actually what caught my eye was the logo usage guidelines, which stated that the logo may not be modified in any way except for special reasons such as wallpapers and the like. The "Windows Remix" was a first naming choice, but we 'twas wary of using "Windows" as the creators of "Lindows" were sued for that name.
    “Flow with whatever may happen, and let your mind be free: Stay centered by accepting whatever you are doing. This is the ultimate.”
    ― Zhuangzi

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •