Thread: Creating website and blog with custom CMS, feedback please!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Creating website and blog with custom CMS, feedback please!

Hey fellow Ubuntu users!

I am a computer science student with lots of experience in Java and C, but I never really tried any web programming, so this week I decided to build my own website with an integrated blog and a custom built content management system, learning html, CSS and php along the way! Would love to get some feedback on all aspects of the website including design and layout, and the blog and comment system I built. I realise I could have used a readymade blog system like wordpress, but I really wanted to practice my coding and learn some new skills so that would not have been optimal for me .

One thing I would definitely like some feedback on is browser support. I am testing this primarily on Chrome and Firefox 4, but I tried on Firefox 3.5 and it looks quite different, probably because I am using new features in CSS3. If anyone has any tips on making websites following new standards work on older browsers let me know!

Here's the link to my first post http://www.matthewbpt.co.cc/~matthew/blog2.php?post=1

Cheers!
    Matt
    Join giffgaff, the mobile network run by you! Click here for free sim with £5 credit http://giffgaff.com/orders/affiliate/matthewbpt
    Get a dropbox account! http://db.tt/6pxH9mf

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Creating website and blog with custom CMS, feedback please!

Depends on your target market. I do web pages for technologically adept friends to use, so I can drop support for IE totally and focus on chrome and firefox (opera usually renders properly too, so no worries about that either). As for you, if you're going for the general public, drop IE6 totally, it only receives much usage in the far east and corporate intranets. You can ditch firefox 3.5 too, since it is used by less than 6% of firefox users, and 1% of the internet (just put an "update firefox" thing on a conditional or something). I'd worry more about internet explorer support though, since chrome firefox and opera actually follow web standards. IE9 is pretty good, shockingly, scores 95/100 acid3. Before that, it gets worse. IE8 scores 20/100 acid3, IE7 13/100, and IE6 scores... 6.
    Luckily, IE6 is used by only 9% of the web, IE7 is only 7%, and IE8 is where it jumps to 30%. Drop IE6 and 7 and it becomes easier.
    Renders perfectly for me and firefox 4, good design quality.
    Last edited by Dustin2128; June 5th, 2011 at 01:50 AM.
    I had to do it.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Looks fine on SeaMonkey 2.0.14, not that it would be widely used, of course.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Looks fine on chromium 11, too.
    I had to do it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Your blog looked fine, and I'm running Firefox 4. Maybe I'm being nitpicky, but the logo on your homepage could be a different color, to have more contrast between the font color and the drop shadow. When the font is that dark, it blends with the drop shadow and looks "off" somehow. Otherwise, your site looks sleek and minimalist. Nice work.

Kudos to you for getting deep into HTML, CSS, and PHP by building your own content management system. That deeper knowledge will pay off.

I build websites with WordPress, saves so much time and easier to maintain. Highly recommend it. You can see one of my websites in my signature below. But I want to learn more PHP so I can "look under the hood" and understand how everything works. You've already got an advantage in that regard.

Good luck with your web design!
    LinuxforArtists.com - Use free software to unleash creativity

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I think there are wasted spaces in the comment-reply