Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Dell Precision m4600/m6600 thread

Beans

Re: The Dell Precision m4600/m6600 thread

Hello,

I have M4600 with ATI FireGL 1Go DDR5 video card and the docking station. Is there a way to use the built in monitor PLUS two external monitors using the dvi output of the docking station ?
    I have tryed many ways without success, I can have bultin + 1 externa, 2 externals but not the 3 monitors.
    Can anyone help please ?

Thanks,

Regards,

Loic

Beans

Nvidia driver on Precision m4600 ?

Hello,
    I do not manage to correctly install the nvidia driver on my M4600 with an NVidia Quadro, and Ubuntu 11.10 64bits.
    I used the «Additional drivers» (i.e. jockey-gtk) application to install the «NVIDIA accelerated graphics driver (version current) [Recommended]». It took ten minutes to download and install the driver, then told I had to reboot.
    Once rebooted, the driver installer says that the driver is activated and in use, but «nvidia-settings» says that it is not installed, and that I should run «nvidia-xconfig» as root. I run it, shut down, but I can not reboot any more: the cursor keeps blinking. The failsafe reboot in text mode does not allow me to switch back to the previous xorg.conf file because it mounts the file system in read-only mode (!) so I have to re-install from scratch.

I have also tried the following variants with the same result:
    - 11.10 32 bits, 11.04 64 bits
    - NVIDIA accelerated graphics driver post-release updates) (version current-updates)

Any ideas ?
    Thanks in advance,

Beans

Hi,
    thanks to this post, I realized that I had to disable Optimus in the BIOS. Now the driver seems to work fine.
    However, there are other issues, such as the nautilus file navigator crashing when I open some folders, such as Desktop.

Beans

Hi,
    I successfully installed ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot 64 bits (i.e. amd64) on my Dell Precision M4600 with Nvidia Quadro 2000M thanks to differents posts. So here are my two cents: a summary of what worked for me.

1. Disable Optimus video mode in the bios. (http://www.michaelbommarito.com/blog...ecision-m4600/) This solves two problems:
    - the nvidia driver can now work (activate it using «Additional Drivers» in the System Settings)
    - shut down works. No need to edit /etc/default/grub as suggested in some posts

2. Do not install nautilus-open-terminal, to avoid crashes when opening some directories (http://askubuntu.com/questions/65443...keeps-crashing). I hope they will fix this soon, however, because it is a useful option

Remaining issues:
    - the webcam image is terrible, while on Windows it is acceptable
    - hibernation does not work, as noticed in other posts

The following are customizations I find useful:
    - disable login sound: (http://maketecheasier.com/disable-lo...ips/2011/09/15)

- configure the workspace other than 2x2: http://pof.eslack.org/2011/10/03/cha...-ubuntu-11-10/

Beans

High power consumption

Hi,

I recently installed Ubuntu 11.10 on a Dell Precision m4600 and have way too high power consumption: According to PowerTOP, Ubuntu uses between 30-40W, which makes my 62.2 Wh battery last less than 2 hrs. This is AFTER I installed and activated pm-utils. I also tried Ubuntu 11.04, with very similar results.

I would greatly appreciate helpful comments!

Christian

Beans

Hi everyone,

I wonder if anyone is using Raid0 (2xHDD) + mini SSD? I'm thinking to buy that configuration, but would prefer to be sure that it works ok under Ubuntu (use 11 on my desctop now).

Cheers,
    Denis.

Beans

I just got 11.10 64bit running on my new m6600 (with the ATI firepro m8900) as well.. good news is I haven't even bothered with the proprietary ATI driver.. the default open-source ones seem to be doing just fine with both unity and gnome3..

my main beef isn't with the laptop or any hardware issues, it's just with unity and gnome3 in general.. I really want to use compiz for things like per-window transparency, but I don't want to have to use gnome-fallback because it blows donkey cahones..

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by davydden View Post
    Hi everyone,

I wonder if anyone is using Raid0 (2xHDD) + mini SSD? I'm thinking to buy that configuration, but would prefer to be sure that it works ok under Ubuntu (use 11 on my desctop now).

Cheers,
    Denis.
    I'm running that same configuration (2xHDD + miniSSD) on my work laptop (OpenSuse 11.4)...

Apparently, the hardware RAID (Intel Matrix Storage) insists on booting off the RAID0 partion and I can' seem to force it to use the non-raided drive. (I wanted RAID0 for /home and did not care about raiding everything else), so I was forced to use software raid. (Sort of defeats the purpose of getting a hardware RAID.)

Good luck.

- Neil

Beans

Hi all,

I'm considering purchasing a M6600 to coincide with Ubuntu 12.04 LTS release coming up. I've been using a M6300 for years with Ubuntu (NVidia graphics) and its been brilliant. I've a large multi-monitor desktop setup, and I was hoping to just swap out the laptop for the new one, upgrade Ubuntu and get some memory capacity & speed improvements.

The thing I keep running into is graphics resolution. I have 2 x 1920x1200 monitors (native LCD) that were matched to the previous standard size of the M6300. But the Dell specs show the M6600 to support max resolution of 1920x1080 which won't match my monitors. I don't want to have to shell out a ton of cash for 2 big new monitors to go with a new laptop, and a buddy of mine said that the max resolution may simply be a restriction on Windows drivers and not be an issue with the Nvidia drivers for Linux.

Does anyone know if this is true? Can the Nvidia drivers for this laptop support more resolution than what Dell advertises as the maximum?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

K

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by k0d3g3ar View Post
    Hi all,
    The thing I keep running into is graphics resolution. I have 2 x 1920x1200 monitors (native LCD) that were matched to the previous standard size of the M6300. But the Dell specs show the M6600 to support max resolution of 1920x1080 which won't match my monitors. I don't want to have to shell out a ton of cash for 2 big new monitors to go with a new laptop, and a buddy of mine said that the max resolution may simply be a restriction on Windows drivers and not be an issue with the Nvidia drivers for Linux.

Does anyone know if this is true? Can the Nvidia drivers for this laptop support more resolution than what Dell advertises as the maximum?
    I was curious as well. I just replaced my Precision M90 with an M6600, and while I'm disappointed that the resolution of 1920x1200 dropped to 1920x1080 on the laptop's screen, I was wondering if there were any technical limitations that prevented it from taking advantage of larger external monitors.

Unfortunately, I still have an old CRT, so the max resolution I was able to get out of it was much less than 1920x1080, and I don't have access to a larger monitor. I suppose I could try hooking it up to my 1080p television, but that still doesn't answer the question of how big a monitor could the m6600 support.

It seems other Dell customers wondered the same.

This one suggests that you won't get above 1280x800 on certain monitors without an adapter.: http://en.community.dell.com/support....aspx#19949525

This one suggests that it's possible to get 1920x1200 without an adapater but again, it seems to depend on the monitor: http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3519/p/19406004/19946970.aspx#19946970

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast