Thread: Browser suggestion for Lubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Browser suggestion for Lubuntu

Hi, I would like to say thank you for a great desktop and thank you for including it in Ubuntu.

To start this thread I would like to see the default browser be changed in Lubuntu, I have an old Compaq Armada M300 PIII 600 mhz that I boot to LXDE in (it is faster than the default Lubuntu desktop and less reasources).

Because the laptop is so low spec I notice the difference easy in programs that I wouldn,t normally notice compared to my desktop. On this lappy chromium takes forever to open and even loger to be ready to use, it fills the processor monitor at the bottom of the desktop entirely and then it takes a bit before I can type anything in it. It takes a minute and a half to four minutes to be able to surf.

Epiphany takes a fraction of the time and a lot less reasources to use. Epiphany uses about 5 lines in the processor monitor (about one fith) and it is ready to go. It it full featured like chromeium or firefox or close enough anyway, it has plugins like firefox for basic needs and I feel it is a way better choice for default browser than chromium or firefox for a light weight DE. I hate that you cant uninstall chromium without uninstalling lubuntu-desktop at the same time.

Another thing about Epiphany is that I can play flash on this ancient lappy and it plays smooth, In chromium, I got impatient for it to open and then to play flash was just unbearable and choppy. I wasn't expecting flash to play at all on this lappy, but if it can do it great, besides I need more distractions from my massage therapy classes lol.

Beans

Re: Browser suggestion for Lubuntu

I would also recommend trying Midori. It's a pretty good browser, and its light. I just don't know how well it compares to Epiphany in resource use.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

I support the suggestion of doing epiphany web browser as the default browser in Lubuntu since it is a low resources comsumption software and it is lighter than chromium which lags from certain features.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

This
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Nonsense is an assertion of man's spiritual freedom in spite of all the oppressions of circumstance-- Aldous Huxley
    The real power of Linux lies in the command line

Beans

why would you try to change the developers mind on default software?
    it's not like everyone will ever be happy with one browser
    if you want fast bootup and startup use a terminal browser
    starts up instantly

i always compared lightweight distros to race car building
    race car drivers always try to get all the useless crap out of the car and replace it with lighter parts
    but they never seam to throw out the engine even tho that's the heaviest part of the car
    if they get rid of it the car will sure be lighter but what's the use of having a lighter car if you can't do anything on it?

you could stop using xorg and use xvesa
    you could stop using lxde and start using flwm
    not having a wallpaper would make it lighter too
    but is the trade-off worth it?
    Last edited by kartabosh; August 23rd, 2011 at 07:46 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

This isn't really a suggestion, but you should know, lubuntu-desktop is the meta-package to install all of Lubuntu, so it's safe to uninstall chromium without losing your actual desktop

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate Zoro View Post
    This isn't really a suggestion, but you should know, lubuntu-desktop is the meta-package to install all of Lubuntu, so it's safe to uninstall chromium without losing your actual desktop
    +1
    when lubuntu 11.10 comes out, your going to want a fresh install anyways, lots of changes in the next version. so having lubuntu-desktop would only be needed for distro upgrade.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Hi,

I also have a Compaq Armada P3 (upgraded BIOS and memory to max, 320 MB I think) and I see that you (vanquishedangel) have Lubuntu 12.10 installed on a machine. Just wondering if you installed it on this laptop.

I was a very satisfied user of Lubu 12.04, but somehow I can't seem to get 12.10 to work on it. Tried to install from within 12.04, didn't work, clean install either. I just keep on getting flashing Lubuntu 12.10 in the screen, caught in some kind of loop.

For me, by the way (to stay on topic), Chromium did work well enough after the memory upgrade, faster than you describe.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Lubuntu 12.04 was the last release supporting non-PAE computers. If yours does not have PAE, best is to stick to 12.04 (or switch to Puppy).

By the way, the thread is old and a lot has happened in Lubuntu since 2011, for example that non-PAE computers now are out in the cold as mentioned above. Closing the thread, but feel free to open a new one to discuss Lubuntu 12.10 / 13.04.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.