Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mobile Broadband not showing in Network Manager...Help needed!!!

Beans

Re: Mobile Broadband not showing in Network Manager...Help needed!!!

yes, it works. great.
    thank you Mats

Beans

@Matbro Thanks man. I have not done Nix scripting in a while. This worked like a charm.

Now my daughter won't have to use a terminal window. You would have thought it was going to kill her when I showed her what needed to be done after she reconnected the modem.

Beans

I have a satellite internet provider,, Hughes,, and I can't make it work with ubuntu why?

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Oh man, thank you Matbro, you're a genius.

I had wrestled with my Huawei Mobile stick
    some time to get it work, but with no luck,
    until I found your advice: that little huawei
    script of yours worked immediately!

Alltså stort tack,
    mvh Anssi
    Åbo
    Finland

Beans

I have tried everything what I have found from forum and google. Not sure if i'm doing something wrong but nothing works for me. I'm running on ubuntu 10.04.
    I think the problem is that ubuntu regonizes modem as CD and I just can't get it fixed. I can't find it from network manager, though the blue light is blinking.
    Code:
    root@john-laptop:~$ lsusb
    Bus 002 Device 004: ID 12d1:14ac Huawei Technologies Co., Ltd.
    have also tried
    Code:
    sudo modprobe usbserial vendor=0x12d1 product=0x1506
    and
    Code:
    sudo modprobe usbserial vendor=0x12d1 product=0x14ac
    I can't install Oneirics modeswitch.
    Error: Dependency is not satisfiable: libpipeline1 (>= 1.0.0)
    This is what i get.
    And i have no idea what to try next?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by vikaskumargdra View Post
    I have found the reason and a possible solution too.The reason behind is that Ubuntu is unable to recognize your modem and thats why it cant load it.You have noticed it when creating new mobile broadband connection that the option to select device is grayed out, thats cuz ubuntu havent drivers for your modem.Ok now the solution.The solution is for my usb stick which is Micromax mmx350g.Try it with yours:

I tried my best for not being a die-hard & ardent fan (which I am not certainly) of linux and found a layman's quick-fix solution for this. Sakis-3g is cute little tool that anyone can use on linux. Here are a few steps for installing Sakis-3g.

Download Sakis-3g from Sakis-3g website directly (thanks to google for providing its kind helping hand).
    I extracted it to my home folder.
    Enter “$ sudo chmod +x sakis3g”
    Enter “$ sudo .//sakis3g helper balloons &”

Then I connected my Micromax usb modem to my laptop and waited patiently for a miracle to happen. Well nothing strange happened but this brought up a linux trademark holding usb removable disk on the upper panel of my desktop (which I wasnt very happy to see it untill i got really connected). Now sakis3g was working as it popped up message detecting my modem. On clicking the icon it brought up a menu driven tool. Hastily I clicked on “Connect with 3G”
    Voila!!! And I did it. Pretty easy stuff.

Though I can get connected to internet with good speeds, but still I am too lazy to type that command (which is not always so user-friendly) each and every time I want to access www. I had to get a permanent fix on this problem. With some help from google, I managed figure out some driver fixes that could fix this issue permanently (i.e. Due to my little liking to linux/unix).
    Well, I have worked out few easy steps to get connected to internet (its pretty hard to survive without it). 'Copy-paste' can make things (like shell commands) look bit less creepy.

I made sure if I have got usb-modeswitch & wvdial packages installed on my system in the 'synaptic pakage manager' from System > Administration drop down menu in the menu bar.

Still I checked if there was any latest update available for the above listed packages by typing below mentioned commands in my not-so-friendly gnome terminal.
    Enter “$ sudo apt-get install usb-modeswitch”
    Enter “$ sudo apt-get install wvdial”
    Enter “$ watch lsusb”
    And the output showed some crap that resembled something like this
    Bus 002 Device 006: ID 1c9e:f000
    After few seconds it showed
    Bus 002 Device 007: ID 1c9e:9605
    Where, 1c9e is the vendor id and f000 & 9605 are the product ids of the usb modem before and after switching. That is f000 is the default product id & 9605 is the target product id.
    After confirming the outputs, I made some tweaks in usb-modeswitch configuration files as below
    Enter “$ sudo gedit /lib/udev/rules.d/40-usb_modeswitch.rules”
    The file opened in gedit. There I had to enter some text below the line that said
    LABEL="modeswitch_rules_begin"
    It looks something like this :-
    LABEL="modeswitch_rules_begin"
    #Micromax MMX352G USB 3G MODEM
    ATTRS{idVendor}=="1c9e", ATTRS{idProduct}=="9605", RUN+="usb_modeswitch '%b/%k'"
    Had to save and then exit the editor.
    Then I copied the default configuration file to a new configuration file that would help our modem to switch and act like a true modem.
    Enter “$ sudo cp /etc/usb_modeswitch.d/1c9e\:9200 /etc/usb_modeswitch.d/1c9e\:9605”
    Editing one more usb_modeswitch configuration file brought me one step closer to the edge.

Enter “$ sudo gedit /etc/usb_modeswitch.d/1c9e\:9605”
    Here's the ouput of the file.

################################################## ######
    # Micromax MMX 352G USB 3G Modem
    DefaultVendor= 0x1c9e
    DefaultProduct=0x9605
    TargetVendor= 0x1c9e
    TargetProduct= 0x9605
    CheckSuccess=20
    MessageContent="55534243123456780000000000000606f5 0402527000000000000000000000"

Now finally we have to work out with usbserial module (that is what drivers are referred to in UNIX)

Enter “$ sudo gedit /etc/modules”
    Add the below mentioned line at the end of the file.
    #MICROMAX 352G 3G USB MODEM
    usbserial vendor=0x1c9e product=0x9605
    Rebooted the machine curiously.

That is all. Configuration of devices was complete.

Now, after the machine rebooted, I plugged in the usb modem and waited for around half a minute.

Back to GUI by clicking on the Network Manager Applet on the top panel, a list of available connections came through a drop down menu.
    Among these I clicked on New Mobile Broadband (GSM) Connection.
    The New Broadband Connection Wizard popped up. Clicked on the “Forward” button.
    I had to select India (Wonderful place where I live). Clicked on “Forward” (Pretty easy).
    Selected “BSNL/Cellone” from the list of service providers. Again a click happened.
    Selected “BSNL/CellOne Old East Zone Prepaid (Jharkhand, Bihar, Kolkata, West Bengal, Orissa, Assam, North East, Adman Nicobar)” from the list of plans that were available and clicked on “Forward” & then “Apply”.
    Connection Configuration window will appear where I selected “Connect Automatically” under Connection Name. Entered “*99#” in front of number and entered “bsnlnet” in front of APN. Finally “Save”.

Finally, done with all clicking which quite effortless. Nothing seemed to appear for some time, but then automatically the Network Manager Applet selected my configured connection. That is all I had to do. Time to have the sweet fruit of my tireless effort.

See if this helps!
    Have a nice day
    Thanks it worked for me after following the steps that you have put. The only catch for TATA DOCOMO 3G dongle is that after restart you have to edit the connections to change the APN to "tatadocomo3g".

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I have a slightly related problem. I have a Huawei E367 HSPA+ usb modem. I have used it on Fedora, Ubuntu and Lubuntu, all of which automatically detected it, and allowed me to connect immediately after plugging it in ( after initial account/connection configuration ).

I installed the KDE desktop on the Lubuntu laptop that this had been working. Since then, when logged into a KDE session, plugging the usb modem in does not add an interface to the modem manager. The connection comes up in "Wireless Broadband" tab of "manage connections," as do all the wlan and particular ethernet profiles I have set on when it was a standard Lubuntu system. But editing my wwan connection pops up a message saying "No agents were available for this request".

lsmod, lsusb, and tail -f /var/log/syslog all tell me that everything is detected and configured exactly the same as always (by which I mean lsusb has always seen an E398 but the E367 still worked that way), the way that works from LXDE. Is this a problem with the KDE ModemManager?
    Last edited by RoosterHam; March 22nd, 2013 at 04:43 AM.
    I dream of a world where our lives can remain private, and our technology can remain open to all.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

If a post is older than a year or so and hasn't had a new reply in that time, instead of replying to it, create a new thread. In the software world, a lot can change in a very short time, and doing things this way makes it more likely that you will find the best information. You may link to the original discussion in the new thread if you think it may be helpful.

Thread closed.
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Never assume that information you find using a search engine is up-to-date.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12