Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Opera 9beta2 Dapper

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

HOWTO: Opera 9 in Dapper

This is quick but it works well! The result is much nicer than the horrible "static-qt" dapper package they also have available, with the un-aliased fonts. Much prettier.

Open a terminal and type:

Code:
    wget http://www.artfiles.org/ubuntu.com/archive/pool/main/x/xorg/xlibs_6.8.2-77_all.deb
    wget http://snapshot.opera.com/unix/Weekly-344/intel-linux/opera_9.0-20060616.6-shared-qt_en_i386.deb
    Then browse to the directory where the files were saved (your home directory presumably) and double click on the xlibs package, which should open it with gdebi. Install it, then install the opera_9 file the same way.

For those of you who prefer the command line, install the packages with "sudo dpkg -i name-of-file" in the same order.

as Jeldert points out in the next post: for those of you most interested in the bleeding edge, browse to http://my.opera.com/desktopteam/blog/ and click on the Unix link at the top. Be sure to download the shared etch package, and use it instead of the second wget line in my instructions above. The version retreived by wget in my instructions is the latest weekly build as of 20 June 2006.

Happy browsing!
    Last edited by SqRt7744; June 21st, 2006 at 03:08 AM. Reason: fianl version released, updated wget link.

Beans

Re: Opera 9beta2 Dapper How-To

For the most up-to-date version of Opera you can visit http://my.opera.com/desktopteam/blog/ and download the latest UNIX build.

There you can find the shared-qt for Debian Etch, and also a Ubuntu Dapper package (for witch you don't need the first package mentioned in the first post).

Beans
    Distro
    Edgy Eft Testing

Thanx for the info, works like a dream. I prefer opera to firefox anyday. Personally I think firefox is over-rated. I used to use it in windows when it was version 0.4 or so and it was so quick. Now it's as slow as IE.
    James B

"For God so loved the world the he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life" John 3:16 (ESV)

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Wink Re: Opera 9beta2 Dapper How-To

It's really mutch better that static build.. Great howto....

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

And, as an added bonus to amd64 users we can use the shared 32 bit binary just fine if you have the ia32 KDE libraries installed, and all of it's dependencies. This is nifty because it makes for an easy way to set up and install Flash on a 64 bit machine.

I'm going to write a How-To for 64 bit Kubuntu Users and publish it here soon. Much of it will be applicable to Ubuntu users too though.

--andy
    Please Insert Funny Statement Here.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

qRt7744 you rock!!! Thank you for making my eyes stop bleeding looking at those awful menu fonts.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by gunksta
    And, as an added bonus to amd64 users we can use the shared 32 bit binary just fine if you have the ia32 KDE libraries installed, and all of it's dependencies. This is nifty because it makes for an easy way to set up and install Flash on a 64 bit machine.

I'm going to write a How-To for 64 bit Kubuntu Users and publish it here soon. Much of it will be applicable to Ubuntu users too though.

--andy
    Do you happen to know if it will work with the ia32 gtk libraries?

I'm looking forward to your HowTo.
    Intel i7-920; Nvidia GT 220, 1GB; MSI X58 Pro-E; 6GB DDR; 64-bit mode.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

How do you guys get Opera to look like a gtk app? I've seen it around but can't find the appropriate widget. Thanks.

Beans

Hey would someone do a howto for the mplayer-plugin that opera now supports. That would be great, i tried compiling it a while back but i couldnt get it to work too great.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by rplantz
    Do you happen to know if it will work with the ia32 gtk libraries?

I'm looking forward to your HowTo.
    Yes it does, I have been using Opera Beta 9 for months in Ubuntu Dapper AMD64. Download the 32-bit DEB file from the Opera website and install with dpkg using the "force architecture" option. Before I install Opera, I install the 32-bit Realplayer downloaded from Real.com and Sun 32-bit java from the Sun installer. Opera will pick up the Realplayer plugin during the install. You may have to manually tell Opera where to look for the Java files.

Then, grab the Flash installer files from Adobe.com. Read the "readme" file and drop the 2 referenced files into the Opera plugins folder. Finally, tell OpenOffice where to find the Sun 1.5 32-bit JRE files.

The above makes for a very sweet 64-bit Dapper install. No chroot and I am very pleased with the setup. No reason to look back to 32-bit or to another 64-bit distro. At least not for me .

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast