Thread: Zune in Virtualbox?

Beans

Zune in Virtualbox?

So, I know alot of people do this with ubuntu and I hear its a little trouble and slower, but I'd rather do that than deal with windows all the time. So, I'm running xp in my virtual machine and I installed Zune software, but when I open it, it tells me my display driver isnt good enough and when I click continue the whole program just crashes. It goes black and I have to manually close it by right clicking on the task bar. I installed guest additions but maybe I didnt do it right because I can't even turn up the resolution on my machine. Also I do have 3d and 2d acceleration enabled on the machine. Any ideas? Help?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Zune in Virtualbox?

Quote Originally Posted by Phaze08 View Post
    So, I know alot of people do this with ubuntu and I hear its a little trouble and slower, but I'd rather do that than deal with windows all the time. So, I'm running xp in my virtual machine and I installed Zune software, but when I open it, it tells me my display driver isnt good enough and when I click continue the whole program just crashes. It goes black and I have to manually close it by right clicking on the task bar. I installed guest additions but maybe I didnt do it right because I can't even turn up the resolution on my machine. Also I do have 3d and 2d acceleration enabled on the machine. Any ideas? Help?
    Try to reinstall the VB Guest Additions booting into XP Safe Mode ( F8 ).

Beans

Safe mode, as in, rebooting VM, pressing f8, then installing again? Yeah, tried that. Still seems the same. This is very frustrating because it would really suck to have to keep the dreaded 7 on my machine for this sole purpose. -_-

Edit: Maybe I should uninstall and reinstall them, which I will do once I get finished reloading xp on my VM. I thought maybe it was a bug in the install or something so I guess we'll see lol.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Phaze08 View Post
    Safe mode, as in, rebooting VM, pressing f8, then installing again? Yeah, tried that. Still seems the same. This is very frustrating because it would really suck to have to keep the dreaded 7 on my machine for this sole purpose. -_-

Edit: Maybe I should uninstall and reinstall them, which I will do once I get finished reloading xp on my VM. I thought maybe it was a bug in the install or something so I guess we'll see lol.
    Did you remember if during such installation you ticked the option 3D (experimental)?.

If you are going to reinstall the guest additions running Windows in safe mode, you do not need to uninstall anything. Simply install again and do not forget to tick the 3D experimental option that I mentioned.

Beans

Yeah thats what I did and still got the same result with the zune software.

Edit: I also notice that at the bottom of my VM window, the little 'v' is greyed out and it says hardware virtualization disable. I can't turn up my resolution either, its stuck on 800x600.
    Last edited by Phaze08; June 4th, 2011 at 01:02 AM.

Beans

Hi, as a beginner who does not understand the vocabulary used, I am desperately looking for any explanation that will help me to understand how to work with my newly installed virtualbox so that I can install zune and use my wp7 with it.
    Please please any are you aware of such an explanation? or will you be willing to provide one?

Thanks