Thread: Problem with a bash script and zenity

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

Problem with a bash script and zenity

Hey ,
    For a while now , the Difficulty for new users to install PPAs has annoyed me quite a bit . People end up downloading Debs that don't stay updated , or generally making mistakes in the installation , It complicates things for new users , So i'm working on a system to make PPA installations Smoother ,It's a bash + Zenity Script that will allow ppa's to be installed from a .usi file (or ubuntu Software installer) , a format which i invented for that purpose.

Here's the installer script :
    Code:
    #load the file and variables
    FILE=$(zenity --file-selection --title "Select A Ubuntu Software Installer")
    PPANAME=$(cat $FILE | head -2 | tail -1)
    PACKLIST=$(cat $FILE | head -4 | tail -1)
    PROGNAME=$(cat $FILE | head -6 | tail -1)
    DESCRIPTION=$(cat $FILE | head -8 | tail -1)
    OFFICIALORNOT=$(cat $FILE | head -10 | tail -1)
    #Welcome the user ,Explain the situation"
    zenity --info --title "USI Software Installer - $PROGNAME" --text="You wish to install $PROGNAME.

$PROGNAME will be automatically updated via PPA.

The following packages will be installed : $PACKLIST From the PPA $PPANAME . 

Description : $DESCRIPTION .

This is a $OFFICIALORNOT Source for this program"
    #Ask them if they wish to continue
    zenity --question --text="Are you sure you wish to install "
    if [ $? == 0 ]
    then
    {
    sleep 2
    zenity --info --title 'Preparing install' --text="Commencing installation after you press OK, you will be required to enter your password to continue"
    sleep 1
    PASSWORD=$(zenity --password)
    sleep 1
    echo $PASSWORD | sudo -S apt-add-repository $PPANAME
    sleep 1
    zenity --info --title 'Installation progress' --text="Repository Installed , Commencing Installation when you press OK , this could take a few minutes depending on the size of the program , This may dissapear for a while , You can continue working until a completion message is displayed ."
    sleep 1
    echo $PASSWORD | sudo -S apt-get update
    echo $PASSWORD | sudo -S apt-get -y install $PACKLIST
    zenity --info --title 'Install Completed' --text="The Install has been completed. Thankyou for Installing $PROGNAME , Have a nice day :) ."
    sleep 2
    }
    else
    zenity --info --title "you have chosen not to install" --TEXT="ohnoz!"
    exit
    fi
    exit
    and here's an example of a program :

Code:
    #ppa
    ppa:docky-core/ppa
    #packages
    docky
    #programname
    Docky
    #Description
    The Best dock no money can buy !
    #officialornot
    official
    My problem is that it runs fine , no problems in Terminal ,however if I try just running it , It doesn't work (i think it might be APT): It gets to The Question and then just cuts out. Also I wish to use progress bars for the installation progress , and want to replace package selection by browse to just double clicking on the .upi and launching it with the Upi installer .

Any help would be much appreciated .

-jman6495

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Problem with a bash script and zenity

You've forgot the most important part, the first line of the script, the shebang, which tells your system what interpreter to use to parse your script.

There's also a lot of bad practice in there. To name a few:

Code:
    PPANAME=$(cat $FILE | head -2 | tail -1)
    Useless use of cat, missing quotes, and in general a terrible way to parse a file, use the shell to parse it instead. (help '\read')
    2. All uppercase variable names. Use lowercase variables to avoid accidentally overriding environment variables and special shell variables.
    3. Don't read in a password to send to sudo, use gksudo and let gksudo ask for the password.
    Code:
    if [ $? == 0 ]
    this is probably where your script fails; without a shebang, I think linux might decide to run it with sh. == is bash specific, and even in bash, you shouldn't use it. Also, don't test $? if you only want to know if it suceeded or not. Just test the command directly:
    Code:
    if zenity ...; then
    Please read http://mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide so you learn the basic syntax of the shell. Also see http://mywiki.wooledge.org/BashPitfalls for avoiding such pitfalls in the future.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

Re: Problem with a bash script and zenity

ok cheers , i'l take a look