Thread: How can i license my python script

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

How can i license my python script

Okay,I've developed a python script which notifies the user about his/her new facebook notifications.It is based on XML feed technology.Now I want to give my users the right to copy,the right to modify and the right to freely distribute my script.So,I want to know that how can I license my python script under GPL.Also is there any licensing fee associated with licensing the software under GPL.I'm a complete novice in this field so an elaborated explanation is needed.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: How can i license my python script

Sounds cool! From what I understand from a law paper I did at Uni, your script is automatically protected by copyright from whenever you created it, without you having to register it or anything. As the copyright owner, you can now do what you like with it. If you decide to distribute it under copyright, that's fine, just include you copyright terms in the scripts (and maybe the GUI if you have an "About" section.
    If you want to give copyrights to others (i.e. the rights under the GPL), that's even better, nothing makes me happier than seeing contributions to the free software community. Just include your GPL copyleft terms in your scripts (i.e. can anyone modify it, can anyone sell it, do people have to attribute you, do future modifications have to be also licenced under the GPL?). Doing so won't mean that you lose your status as the copyright owner, it'll just mean that you are allowing rights to non-owners (just like how if you buy a CD from copyright owner Sony, you get the right to listen to it, but sony still owns the copyright).
    For the nitty-gritty, check out:
    http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html
    It has a section on how to apply these terms to your programme, and FAQ etc.
    "Ubuntu speaks of the very essence of being human. It is to say, 'My humanity is caught up, is inextricably bound up, in yours.'" - Rev. Dr. Desmond Tutu.

Don't forget to mark your thread as [SOLVED] (Here's how)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: How can i license my python script

I'm far from an expert in this area, but the very basics of what I understand is that the GNU licenses are enforceable under copyright law, which means all you need to do is put a copyright statement in your code along with a message regarding what end-users are able to do in terms of copying your program. You also need to include that you are releasing the program under the GPL license.

EDIT: found an informative link here