Thread: UPDATED FOR CATA: Install World of Warcraft

Hybrid View

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

UPDATED FOR CATACLYSM: How-To Install World of Warcraft with wine

NOTE: This was written while using Gnome 2 in 11.04. Things and changed a little, but not much. Will try to update later

I know this subject gets alot of reads, but there has not been an updated version for awhile (at least, not since before Cata came out).

I do NOT believe in using Play On Linux (POL), Crossover, or anything other than wine itself. Why add layers of complexity to a project that works in it's most basic form? (POL/Crossover, et. al., use wine as their base. So, I just use wine. Makes it easier).

If you have an issue, and anywhere in there you use POL or anything else except wine, DON'T post in here. If you use their products, and even worse PAY FOR THEM, go get help from them.

Now, for the preliminaries.

These are the basics you should do BEFORE you install WoW:

Note: wine 1.3.26 and above work fine now, with no mouse issues anymore
    • Activate your proprietary video drivers in System > Administration > Additional Drivers (Nvidia users: If 'nvidia-settings' works, then it IS activated, ATi/AMD: If card is not supported or no drivers available, good luck, and Intel probably won't work at all)
    • Install wine 1.3 It's easiest to look in the stickies in this forum, and install the wine ppa.
    • Create a wine install directory by running 'winecfg' in a terminal. If it wants you to install Gecko, do it, or your Launcher won't show news. Also, set the default install as XP for sound to work, and go to your Sound tab and set the sound driver to ALSA.

Recently, the WoW cursor issues while running in opengl mode have been fixed. There is NO need to 'patch' wine for now.

That pretty much covers it. From here on out, it depends on how you install WoW.
    • Install from the Client Download from Blizzard (This is how I have just installed WoW. The lower "costs" of download time for patches ALONE saved me almost 13GB of downloading. YES. 13GB!!)
    • Install from DVD (If you have the Cata DVD, use that. No need to install all of them, just the most recent you have). What I do is mount the DVD with the correct options for 'unhiding' it, then I copy all the files to a folder in my .wine folder (makes it easier). Right click on 'Installer.exe', choose 'open with wine', and wait until it's done.
    • Copy from an existing Windows install (Copy to ~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/World of Warcraft. Using this method, you'll have to create your own launcher for WoW. Google for how to create a launcher in Ubuntu)

For any of the above, when you get the chance after it installs, close the game. Then, do the following to avoid the common mistake of installing other programs into your WoW install:
    • Rename your .wine folder to .wine-wow or whatever you wish.
    • Edit you laucher command to run WoW from the new folder. EX:
      Code:
      env WINEPREFIX="/home/<USERNAME>/.wine-wow" wine "C:\Program Files\World of Warcraft\Launcher.exe" -opengl
      Replace <USERNAME> with your Ubuntu username. This tells wine to run in the new wine-wow folder and run Launcher /WoW in opengl mode.
    • Run the Launcher, and let it update patches/whatever until it's done (Note: If installed from DVD, the first patch alone is almost 8GB..then more patches. Be prepared)

If you run an Nvidia card, this is ALL you need to run WoW in wine. ATi/AMD might need a registry tweak (Google for it), and Intel MIGHT work if you DON'T run it in opengl mode, but FPS will be low, and LOTS of video issues.

**** NOTE: After the 4.2 patch, I have had issues with Launcher.exe actually running the game (Windows users have also reported this same issue). To temporarily fix this, edit your command to launch WoW to:
    Code:
    env WINEPREFIX="/home/<USERNAME>/.wine-wow" wine "C:\Program Files\World of Warcraft\Wow.exe" -opengl
    This will launch Wow.exe directly. I will edit this as Blizzard addresses this issue ****

Additional settings, etc (Raising FPS, Vent, Mangler)

Now that WoW is running, it is time to address additional issues, like low FPS. A quick overview might be in order.

WoW, like most Windows games, prefers to use DirectX for 3D rendering. Direct3D (D3D), however, is closed source, and while there have been strides in the open source community to get D3D functionality in Wine, it STILL isn't fully implemented yet. Also, wine 'converts' D3D calls to OpenGL, so we can still use this. Also, WoW supports OpenGL. Kind of.

WoW OpenGL is NOT a full blown OpenGL game, however. Many effects that D3D handles, are NOT handled in OpenGL in WoW. Sunshafts and Shadows come to mind. Also, if you look in your Settings for Video, your slider might be stuck on the lowest setting.This is mostly due to a combination of WoW/OpenGL/wine not being FULLY supported.

So, why run in OpenGL? Because, as the 'native' mode of Linux, it is FAST. If you have the EXACT same settings in both Windows/WoW and wine/WoW, wine/wow can beat Windows/WoW in FPS (due to OpenGL and MUCH better/faster/more efficient networking. Less 'lag' = more FPS due to better communication with the servers.) But you have to trade 'eyecandy' for FPS. Personally, I would rather have the FPS advantage than all the pretty graphics.

Ignore the 'slider'. Really. Just set EVERYTHING to the lowest settings. ALL of the drop downs in Video and Advanced.

Try it out. If you don't like how it looks, you can improve the visuals by changing ONE setting at a time, and see how your FPS changes. View Distance is a big killer of FPS, as is Anti-Aliasing. Start at the lowest, and slowly increase, testing after each change, until you strike the balance you like between 'eyecandy' and FPS. There is no "magic setting" or tweak that does more to help FPS/Looks than you trying to get a balance. What I prefer may not be what you prefer. Just remember, just because you can run "Ultra" settings in Windows D3D does NOT mean the same card will not choke on the same settings in OpenGL/wine.

Now, for those who need Ventrilo (Vent): DON'T. Use Mangler instead. I have used the Vent client under wine, and got it to kind of work, almost, but always had SOME kind of issue with it, whether it was key-bindings, sound quality, or whatever. Then I tried Mangler. It has the same functionality as the Windows Vent client, but is a Native Linux program. Easy to install, and easy/fast to run. No fiddling with sound/environment variables, or any of that stuff. It JUST WORKS.

Installing a Windows based accessory (Curse Client, etc...)

Now, you will see why I install WoW into it's own wine folder. If you keep WoW in the basic '.wine' folder, and you install other Windows programs, those programs can, and do, add things to a perfectly fine WoW install, and may create havoc with WoW. While this is not a big deal for most Windows programs, imagine if you HAVE TO REINSTALL WOW FROM SCRATCH! Personally, I would rather have each Windows program in it's own folder/prefix/environment. That way, if any of them bork up for whatever reason, at the most I would lose is just that one program, and not ALL of the programs I use in wine.

Another reason for 'separate wine folders' is: Windows gets malware and viruses just by existing! By seperating all the programs into their own 'bottle', it reduces the chance of a complete meltdown/reinstall. The chance is STILL there, but greatly reduced. A good example is if you have 4 cars and only room in the garage for 3 cars. If the garage burns down, one car should still be ok. (It could still catch fire/be damaged, but the odds are reduced). Or a hail storm hits, and one car gets damaged, but the three in the garage are protected. Do you see the point I am trying to make?

A good example of this is the Curse Client. It needs to have IE6 installed for it to work properly, but wine/WoW/IE6 has issues. So, How do I setup a program separated from WoW, but can still access it, without messing up the WoW 'system files'? Easily.

To continue with the Curse Client example, we first need to get a couple of programs. You will need:
    • The Curse Client for Windows (version 3 works best for me. Find it on the Ver 4 download page. It's there)
    • winetricks (It may already be installed. If not, can be gotten from the repos)

We are going to install everything into the default '.wine' folder first, then change/rename things to get it into it's own folder.
    First, run winecfg. This will setup your wine folder for everything it needs. Next, run winetricks, install vcrun6, then dotnet2.0, and then install IE6 (there are a few versions of winetricks out there. You need to find how to install things through it). After this, install the Curse Client. (If you want to install ver 4 of the Curse client, you need to install IE8. Curse may fail on loading, but just exit, and try again)

Now, for the magic:
    • Make sure you can run Curse, and login all the way. Don't worry about errors for "cannot find World of Warcraft files". We will fix in a moment)
    • Exit curse, and rename the '.wine' folder to something like '.wine-curse'
    • Edit the Curse launcher command to reflect the new name (env WINEPREFIX="/home/<USER>/.wine-curse" wine <PROGRAM>). Check and edit the command until Curse launches correctly.
    • Create a link to your REAL World of Warcraft folder (i.e. : ~/.wine-wow/drive_c/Program Files/World of Warcraft). I usually just open the 'Program Files' folder, right click "World of Warcraft", and 'create link'.
    • Copy that link to where the 'Program Files' in your 'curse folder' (i.e. ~/.wine-curse/drive_c/Program Files) so it thinks WoW is there. Rename the link so it is called "World of Warcraft"

What we have done up to now, is install Curse into it's own folder, but have linked WoW in such a way to NOT mess with the running enviornment/system files of WoW, but have allowed access to the files of WoW itself for Curse to do it's thing.

In this manner, if Curse gets messed up, all you have to do is delete the '.wine-curse' folder, reinstall curse like above, and your actual WoW game and all it's Gigabytes of data are still there and working.

Now, doesn't that make sense? If you need to install other programs, do it the same way:
    • Install into the .wine folder crated when you run winecfg
    • Tweak it until it runs. Add whatever support it need through winetricks or whatever.
    • Rename the .wine folder to something else, and edit the launcher command to use that new folder i.e env WINEPREFIX="/home/<USER>/.wine-foo" wine "foo"
    • Create links to other folders as needed.

Happy Questing!

Please, constructive comments are appreciated. Try to keep things civil.
    Last edited by cwwilson721; November 3rd, 2011 at 03:32 AM. Reason: Additional Information
    Running wine/WoW on a AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+(2.6GHz)w/4GB DDRII(667) and a NV9600GSO w/768MB DDRIII.

Beans

Re: UPDATED FOR CATA: Install World of Warcraft

Looking forward to see the information you post about increasing fps. WOW is running nearly perfect on my computer, im not lagging, the graphics arent choppy, the sound works great.. I watched the opening cinematic at the beginning and it ran beautifully.. it didnt cut out or lag one time. The ONLY problem Im having is a constantly super low FPS. (Anywhere from 2-9, no higher.) Im using a ATI Technologies Inc Radeon R350 [Radeon 9800 Pro] video card.. ( i found that out by putting the command
    lspci | grep VGA in terminal.

Im not very savvy when it comes to computer lingo, so Im having problems understanding nearly all of what I read when it comes to ubuntu related materials. I am using Ubuntu because my computer killed itself, and I didn't have the money to get a new OS. Although I am enjoying trying to figure all of this out (because i always love a challenge), after a few days, it is starting to wear me out.. If you have any advice, PLEASE let me know. I would really appreciate it!

Additional info:

this is what I have added to my config.wtf file:
    SET gxApi "opengl"
    SET ffxDeath "0"
    SET ffxGlow "0"
    SET M2UseShaders "0"

I have also gone to System > Administration > Additional drivers, and there's absolutely nothing in the window..

PS. In response to the comment you made about having not used the Client Download through the Blizzard Website (Battle.net), I'd like to say that its AWESOME. It's a straight shot download, you don't have to go through all the BS of having to continually open and close the launcher to get all the patches. I've been playing WoW since vanilla, and have downloaded the game on many different computers many different times, and I must say that it was a lot easier downloading it through the site rather than through the CDs.
    Last edited by MissCrunk; June 3rd, 2011 at 03:50 AM. Reason: Extra info

Beans
    Distro

I would like to do that myself, but I tend to just do the DVD...Even though (and I'll find out if it's true) a Client Download might be smaller overall than a DVD install (If it IS smaller, I might just do that. But I can research that after this install is done/running)

Yes, your videocard/chip is older and not supported by ATi/AMD in their proprietary drivers. THAT'S a HUGE reason I refuse to use ATi/AMD video. They make good products, but their Linux support (insert your own nasty word here). Nvidia, in contrast, still supports an old MX400 AGP card I have. Go figure.

About the only thing I can tell all of you that are in ATi/AMD limbo, or 'using' an Intel card/chip, is to set EVERYTHING on Low, not just the slider. Turn off AA, Sampling, Shadows, EVERYTHING either off or lowest settings. Then, raise ONE thing up at a time, ONE setting, see how it affects your setup. Actually, everybody pught to do this. It tells you a TON about what will work, and what won't. (View distance is a BIG FPS killer. But you need to find a happy medium.)

I will also post about things like the Curse Client (addon manager) and how to install it, without messing up your WoW install. Plus, installing a Vent Client that is a native Linux client.

More neat stuff coming.

I'll post more exact settings and other stuff, if/when this bloody time-killing-game ever gets done downloading. That way, I won't be working from my old, calcified brain memory.
    Running wine/WoW on a AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+(2.6GHz)w/4GB DDRII(667) and a NV9600GSO w/768MB DDRIII.

Beans
    Distro

Ok..Might be awhile, because I decided to do a full client download instead of patching the Cata DVD. (9.7 GB for D/L, as compared to at least 1 6.5 GB download patch, plus who knows how many more patches after that?)

Maybe this will be faster. We'll find out. Stay tuned...

Beans
    Distro

One GREAT thing about using the Clint Download to install the game:
    Since it's not an old patch (like 4.0-4.1), there are more peers to d/l it, and it downloads at least 3 times faster!

Will find out if it needs big patches after the d/l

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

A suggestion regarding the older ATI video chips that official support was dropped. Adding in some sort of explanation/warning of where the line is that divides hardware of official ATI catalyst support and open source only support. This is to abate the disappointment of the people that install Wow expecting they can get near the 3d performance as windows only to discover they are stuck using the open source drivers and get a slideshow for best performance.

Note: I don't want to advocate either Nvidia or AMD hardware, just inform the users what they are getting into.
    Dell Latitude D630 - 4GB RAM - 128GB SSD - Nvidia Quadro NVS 135M - Intel 4965 wireless - DVD/CDRW - bluetooth - fingerprint reader