Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: UPDATED FOR CATA: Install World of Warcraft

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: UPDATED FOR CATA: Install World of Warcraft

The issue with the Curse Client is that it "requires" IE8+ to be installed, plus a few "needed" things from other things.

I gave up on Curse a long time ago, and I use the Linux-native Addon Manager from Wowmatrix when I need to manage my addons in Linux.

However, I do have a dual-boot setup, just because of WoW. Sometimes, it is SO much easier to update/patch in Windows. (I either dual boot, or use a Windows VM. Since I'm not actually 'running' the game in the VM, speed/FPS/usability are secondary. I just want the freakin' patch to work!)

If you use a VM, Curse works fine, and in Windows in a dual-boot setup.

However, to manage in Linux, I use wowmatrix.
    Running wine/WoW on a AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+(2.6GHz)w/4GB DDRII(667) and a NV9600GSO w/768MB DDRIII.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by krendar View Post
    I read this thread and I saw there was a problem with Curse Client but that was ½ year ago.

I have not been running WoW on linux since early WotLK and before I start installing I wonder if the situation has changed for Curse Client and if it works now?

Only use Windows for WoW so really hope it will work since Curse Client syncs about 50 addons on my install and it would be hell to update them manually.

If it doesn't work are there any alternatives? (I remember there used to be a python addon update script, but I suppose it doesn't work on Curse nowadays)
    I use Wowmatrix under Windows. Haven't tried it under Ubuntu yet, since I don't really use more than Elvui, Skada, GTFO, NPCSCAN and Clique anymore.

Pretty easy to keep those updated the old fashioned way.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by krendar View Post
    I read this thread and I saw there was a problem with Curse Client but that was ½ year ago.

I have not been running WoW on linux since early WotLK and before I start installing I wonder if the situation has changed for Curse Client and if it works now?

Only use Windows for WoW so really hope it will work since Curse Client syncs about 50 addons on my install and it would be hell to update them manually.

If it doesn't work are there any alternatives? (I remember there used to be a python addon update script, but I suppose it doesn't work on Curse nowadays)
    Curse Client 3.x is completely non functioning (on both wine and windows) last I tried. The 4.x client requires a .NET function that isn't implemented on mono and doesn't work in wine (yet).

I'm currently using 4.x client on a WinXP instance running on virtual box. It scans/updates my wow directory shared via the virtual box networking shared folder feature.
    Dell Latitude D630 - 4GB RAM - 128GB SSD - Nvidia Quadro NVS 135M - Intel 4965 wireless - DVD/CDRW - bluetooth - fingerprint reader

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by Tweak42 View Post
    Curse Client 3.x is completely non functioning (on both wine and windows) last I tried. The 4.x client requires a .NET function that isn't implemented on mono and doesn't work in wine (yet).

I'm currently using 4.x client on a WinXP instance running on virtual box. It scans/updates my wow directory shared via the virtual box networking shared folder feature.
    EXACTLY why I keep an Windows install on my WoW box. Both a VM and a Boot Partition. My actual Windows Partition is a separate hard drive, so if one fails, I can copy my WoW install from the other (either from Linux/wine to Windows, or Windows to Linux/wine)

As an aside, since I multiboot (Ubuntu 11.10, Slackware 13-ish, Windows 7 64bit Ultimate, and a few others), my actual Linux/wine/WoW is on a separate hard drive, too, so all my users (one at a time, tho), and all my Linux Distros installed on this box can access it.

Why? I HATE downloading the WoW client, or patches...It's getting to be a ridiculous size to do so anymore, so the extra "belt and suspenders" approach gets me back to WoW in the shortest time following the inevitable hard drive failure (as if you never thought "Oh NO!! WoW was on there! And it's GONE!" Well, it has happened to me more than once, so I'm paranoid now).

And, NO, I do not, nor will I EVER, allow Windows access to ANY Linux parttiion. I do allow all my Linux installs to access the Windows 7 install, however. That keeps my Linux partitions fairly safe, and allows me to fiddle with Windows with anything I need to.

The way I describe in the HOWTO in the first post is the way one of my VMs is setup for WoW/wine, so it DOES work. My actual WORKING install for Linux/wine/WoW is VERY much more 'complicated', but I try to keep my HOWTOs simple.
    Last edited by cwwilson721; January 25th, 2012 at 07:43 AM. Reason: Spellerating
    Running wine/WoW on a AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+(2.6GHz)w/4GB DDRII(667) and a NV9600GSO w/768MB DDRIII.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123