Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Since credit cards existed before 1969, doesn't that mean so did Internet?

Beans

Re: Since credit cards existed before 1969, doesn't that mean so did Internet?

Quote Originally Posted by Gremlinzzz View Post
    credit was much simpler back then,they give you credit and send Bruno around to collect.
    either the money or what you got on credit
    still happens, i was talking to bruno the other day
    Backtrack - Giving machine guns to monkeys since 2006
    Kali-Linux - Adding a grenade launcher to the machine guns since 2013

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by JKyleOKC View Post
    The customer sends me the appropriate data via fax or phone (I discourage using Email since it's not at all secure)
    Hate it to rain down on your parade... but fax or phone is about as secure as e-mail. For credit card information, neither fax, phone or e-mail cuts it. Use SSL / encryption.

Just sayin'.
    Last edited by beniwtv; June 27th, 2011 at 11:49 AM. Reason: typo
    Benedikt Bär - www.relamp.tk
    WARNING: Some commands can be harmful when executed, especially the ones starting with "rm". If you are in doubt what a certain command will do, please ask other members first before executing!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by beniwtv View Post
    fax or phone is about as secure as e-mail.
    Of course the professional spooks can tap into just about anything, but both fax and phone are essentially direct connections between point A and point B rather than routing, in the clear, between any number of servers along the way. As such, they offer much less opportunity for interception by the average script kiddie. Anything that uses the Internet is vulnerable to a man-in-the-middle attack; direct point-to-point contacts are not so much so.
    --
    Jim Kyle in Oklahoma, USA
    Linux Counter #259718
    Howto mark thread: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UnansweredPo.../SolvedThreads

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by LowSky View Post
    I remember when you could pump first then pay. Now they are all afraid of people pump and ditching you need to pay first. I guess that happens when gas costs quadruple in 10 years.

I do find it funny when young people accept that credit cards look exactly the same in the 1960's as they do in 2011.
    There are a lot of places where you can still pump first then pay. Just not in NY--or S.E. PA.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by Gerontion View Post
    I'm amazed by (a) how short cultural memory is and (b) how old this thread has made me feel.
    This. People will be asking questions like this about cheques in a few years.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by JKyleOKC View Post
    Of course the professional spooks can tap into just about anything, but both fax and phone are essentially direct connections between point A and point B rather than routing, in the clear, between any number of servers along the way. As such, they offer much less opportunity for interception by the average script kiddie. Anything that uses the Internet is vulnerable to a man-in-the-middle attack; direct point-to-point contacts are not so much so.
    Nope, phone lines are routed through various centrals, analog switches, cabling, etc... along the way, sometimes even over the Internet depending on your destination. It's not really point A to point B.

Man-in-the-middle attacks can only be prevented by using encryption. Relying on clear protocols _never_ is secure.

That being said, your communications being intercepted amongst the millions is slim at best, and this is only an advise, never trust any type of open connections.
    Benedikt Bär - www.relamp.tk
    WARNING: Some commands can be harmful when executed, especially the ones starting with "rm". If you are in doubt what a certain command will do, please ask other members first before executing!

Beans

Man in the middle attacks are only reliable if you're on a guaranteed route between the points. There are relatively few choke points on the Internet. It's not a cloud exactly, but there are diverse routes in case one goes down.

As well, if you suspect your "man in the middle" is the government of whatever country you're in, then chances are you don't have much chance to protect yourself even if you do have encryption.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by KiwiNZ View Post
    They used an imprinter device to copy the card details onto a sales slip
    Ah, the "zip zap" machine. I nearly scored a free lunch once after turning up at a cafe during a break in the filming of a commercial.
    (This isn't the actual commercial, but is part of the same campaign.)
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags
    Including your email address in a post is not recommended
    My Blog

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Thumbs down Re: Since credit cards existed before 1969, doesn't that mean so did Internet?

I remember when ATM first started getting popular they were all modem based. Some time during the night the ATM would dial up the central office and exchange data. The branch ATM had no idea if you already withdrew your daily limit at another location. People would go from branch to branch withdrawing the maximum amount from each ATM branch. The problem wasn't discovered until the machines synced that night.

Quote Originally Posted by CTBuckweed View Post
    In answer to your question, yes, sometimes, the internet is used. ATM machines are able to use wireless connections for communicating to the processing switch.

I have worked in the ATM industry for about 20 years. I was with companies that created and sold ATM processing software & services.

You worked in the ATM industry for 20 years and wrote "ATM MACHINE?"

Beans

am i wrong or did the old ones, 1980's and before, not have mag strips at all? imprint was proof of actual card purchase rather than invention/fraud on seller's part, and the physical receipts were daily stuff of business, in the zipup envelope of a register at the end of the day w/ the paper checks and all. atm cards only worked at the bank and credit cards, no debit, at the store...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast