Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wish to swap Windows for Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Re: Wish to swap Windows for Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by JohnBonne View Post
    Ok, a lighter installation. Would an older version of Lubuntu or Xbuntu be more stable than the newest, buggy ones; and, how about the desktop? I am confused by Gnome, KDE, and Unity because I am so new at this.
    Lubuntu 10.10 is very stable.

Gnome, KDE and Unity are desktop environments. Basically, it's the GUI, but there are other differences too. Anyway, if you want to go deeper into the subject I included a wikipedia link.

Gnome - was the default DE (desktop env.) for Ubuntu until version 11.04
    Unity - is the new default DE in Ubuntu 11.04
    KDE - is the default DE in Kubuntu

In Lubuntu, the DE is LXDE.

You can run all programs in any DE, but some look better or might load faster depending on what DE they are designed for.

Your machine will have a hard time running DE's like Gnome, Unity or KDE.
    So see if you like Lubuntu, if not, maybe Xubuntu (which uses Xfce as DE)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Smile Re: Wish to swap Windows for Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Carcharoth View Post
    just a little off topic, installing on notebooks, I have have much better luck using a memory stick, flash drive, or whatever you call it. last one I bought I spent $15 on 8 Gig, and I use the heck out of it.

only question is whether that old BIOS will support booting from USB, check your setup utility.
    Thanks for reminding me. I meant to update the BIOS. Compaq has no support for this ild computer which means more Internet time meant for it.

I called it a jump drive. I can check if the drive shows up in my bios.
    Which is true?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by frankbooth View Post
    Gnome - was the default DE (desktop env.) for Ubuntu until version 11.04
    Unity - is the new default DE in Ubuntu 11.04
    KDE - is the default DE in Kubuntu
    Kind of correct, Unity is a shell for Gnome2, just as Gnome-Panel (that classic look) is a shell for Gnome2.

Gnome3 will be on 11.10, which will have gnome-shell, and presumably Unity will be moved to Gnome3 and be Ubuntu's default ui.
    "You can't expect to hold supreme executive power just because some watery tart lobbed a sword at you"

"Don't let your mind wander -- it's too little to be let out alone."

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

You might want to try Peppermint linux (based on ubuntu) it is much lighter and pretty ......

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by JohnBonne View Post
    I have a slow Compaq which came out of Antique town in the Windows 98 period. It has a 900 MHz AMD cpu and 256 Megs memory. It runs fine with XP. I would like to upgrade is as Windows XP is too slow. Everything works fine, but after testing Ubuntu on my newer laptop I am thinking I would like to install Ubuntu on it.

I am new at this sort of thing for I have always used Windows. This is a step up from the Windows programming for my laptop but would it be possible to run a Linux based O/S. I like Ubuntu but I want the best for my desktop.

Any Suggestions? Problems, Feedback, please?

Regards,

John
    256MB is not enough for Ubuntu with Gnome or KDE desktops. It will be awful. Go for a really light distro, several have been mentioned already.

The one I have successfully used on an old laptop is the super-small and easy to use, puppy-linux: http://www.puppylinux.com/

I like the Mint/Debian suggestion because I have recently discovered Mint/Ubuntu and find it really nice to use.
    ASRock P67 Extreme6, Intel i5 2500K, 8GB RAM, nVidia 6600GT, 4x1TB RAID1+0

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Smile Re: Wish to swap Windows for Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by mike555 View Post
    You might want to try Peppermint linux (based on ubuntu) it is much lighter and pretty ......
    +1. It is a lady's computer.
    Which is true?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12