Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Keyboard Input Methods not showing up

Beans

Re: Keyboard Input Methods not showing up

Quote Originally Posted by thameera View Post
    Any idea how to add a language to that Keyboard Layout Switcher applet? Mine has only the US layout.
    type-> gksudo leafpad /etc/default/keyboard
    add your languages to:
    XKBLAYOUT="us"

i think theres also a command that does the same thing, but i forget, hit google.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

To add a language: Go to Preferences > Language Support This will open the Language and Text window Click on "Install/Remove Languages" and select the language you want to add. It will automatically install the language files and should enable the Keyboard Input Methods window. Go to Preferences > Keyboard Input Methods When you do this, a window will pop up asking if you want to start iBus. Click yes. Then you will see the iBus Preferences window where you can select the input method that you want and do things like assign a hotkey. The iBus icon should appear down by the clock now. After a reboot, you should be able to go to Preferences > Desktop Session Settings and make iBus start automatically on boot.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by whatthefunk View Post
    Go to Preferences > Keyboard Input Methods
    The problem I'm having is that when I click on Keyboard Input Methods nothing happens. No window shows up. :/

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by thameera View Post
    The problem I'm having is that when I click on Keyboard Input Methods nothing happens. No window shows up. :/
    What language are you trying to install? Do you see the small box with an i in it near the clock?

Beans

How I would like to see this fixed!

Beans
    Distro

the problem is some missing dependencies in the ibus package for lubuntu, as described here: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...933/comments/4
    without them, you do not get the "i" icon in the panel. you DO NOT get this icon via the Keyboard Layout Handler applet, that is for switching the ACTUAL keyboard type, not for input methods.

use synaptic or whatever, and make sure you have all these installed, then, log out and back in:

libappindicator1
    python-appindicator
    python-gconf
    python-glade2
    python-pexpect

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12