Thread: 3D Movies..

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

3D Movies..

Hi, I recently discovered this piece of software called MakeMe3D on Windows..

For those of you who don't know this software will convert almost any 2D movie to 3D..

Now my problem lies here, I tried this software and video and audio are desynchronised to a point that you can't really understand what's going on (Yes I've tried different files but with the same result.)

Although I tried google I didn't find a solution to this problem and neither I could find a program on Ubuntu or Xubuntu that does the same stuff..

So as a last resort I am asking here if anyone does know of a program that converts 2D movies to 3D movies. And also, if this is possible.. I have red/cyan glasses so preferably I would like to convert movies that would work with those glasses as there is more than 1 type of 3D.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

GaaraOfTheSand
    Self-Loving Carnage

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: 3D Movies..

I think VLC has an anaglyph plugin which is what that software is pretty much doing. It doesn't sound like it's worth your time to be honest. The only good 3D movies are filmed with several cameras during production, doing it in post-production doesn't do anything i.e. The Last Airbender.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

The program would have to be able to tell, by looking at the 2D pictures, what is in the background and what is in the foreground. If the camera is moving it can be inferred by comparing consecutive pictures but if the camera is not moving how can the program know?

Mariane
    The result of the "make" command:
    - Sitting bored in front of a computer
    - Watching abstruse output scrolling upwards too fast to be read
    - And waiting for something to go wrong

Beans

I have never played with these anaglyph plugins. However, given that you have generated a few of these already, it seems that you could view them in VLC or SMPlayer or another media player that allows you to manually sync audio and video tracks.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

While I wrote this I only tried it on my girl's laptop which is a compaq 610 http://www.newtechnology.co.in/compa...aq-610-laptop/

Since it has a dual core I thought this was not the problem.. Then she had to use it so I went on my PC which is an i7 860 @ 2.8GHz, 4GB RAM DDR3 and Nvidia 9500GT.. Although I tried a different file from the ones I tried on the laptop, it seems to work well on my PC with audio and video in synch..

Now, to verify if 3D really works, I guess I have to wait for my glasses to arrive but they were shipped today, so if you guys want some feedback, post below so I'll leave some when I get around to view a movie with the proper glasses. =)

And thanks a lot for the replies - @ Legendary_Bibo: I don't blame you for being a bit skeptic, to be honest so am I, but to tell you the truth I'm not expecting cinema quality, even if it's slightly better than just 2D I'd be happy with that.
    Self-Loving Carnage