Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ZoneMinder Install/Setup Help

Beans

ZoneMinder Install/Setup Help

Hi there,

Is there anyone here who has ever manager to get ZoneMinder Working on an Ubuntu Server?
    I have been having issues even after searching the net for all solutions.

I have a x86 workstation and web cam: Logitech Pro 5000
    Running Ubuntu 11.04 Server x86

Installed Linux Successfully.

I have Tried to install ZoneMinder successfully and can connect via http://host/zm
    I can camera's etc but cannot get anything through it.

I have tried to get some assistance here:
    http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...te=1&p=4371800

Bu not able to get this resolved and thought I wouldsee if anyone has ever manager to get this working on Ubuntu and can mentor me on this.

Really Appreciate any help you can provide.
    Many thanks is advance.

Regards
    Blair

Beans

Re: ZoneMinder Install/Setup Help

Not an expert but have some basic knowledge of Linux/Ubuntu.
    Is it actually possible to get this running on Ubuntu or should I be looking at another distro?

Cheers All.

Beans

I have it running on 10.04 LTS server. Haven't tried it on 11.04, but there are multiple guides on the Zoneminder documentation pages. Here's a link to the Ubuntu guides.
    http://www.zoneminder.com/wiki/index.php/Ubuntu

Also make sure your firewall isn't blocking you from trying to connect to the zoneminder server.

Beans

I ran Zoneminder on Ubuntu 10.xx for years but I cannot get it working in 11.04. I know my camera works because I can use it in other apps but just not in ZM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hi mate did you get this working?

Been running ZM with no dramas for yonks on 10.04 LTS like others, not sure about 11 tho.

What probs do you get? Black monitor screens or what?

Can you try with an ip cam instead of the webcam? ZM is a PITA to get running with a webcam IMO

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I know this thread is a little dated but I have been successful in getting zoneminder working with 11.04 x86 server. Took me a little bit to get it to work. However I did not use the debs from the repos. ( i did at first)

I just finished creating it from source. Which for me was a learning experience.

I followed this guide, however some of this I did not do. Maybe this will get you started
    http://www.zoneminder.com/wiki/index...min,_Cambozola

I do have a .deb that I created after the install was complete and I have no idea if it will work or not.
    Even my wife likes ubuntu!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by SquALeD View Post
    Hi mate did you get this working?

Been running ZM with no dramas for yonks on 10.04 LTS like others, not sure about 11 tho.

What probs do you get? Black monitor screens or what?

Can you try with an ip cam instead of the webcam? ZM is a PITA to get running with a webcam IMO
    Hey mate I have been trying to get this to run on ubuntu 10.04/10.10/11.04/centos the
    only one that can is arch linux. But the pictures where bad. I get the localhost where I can
    go in and check things. But when I click on monitor it is blank, white some times then black
    some time.

I really need help. I have Ubuntu 10.10 installed now but if you want me to I will install 10.04
    So you can explain better. When they say change a file I have now idea how to do that.

Please help....

Thank You...
    oosevn

Beans

I had to:
    Code:
    sudo chown www-data.www-data /dev/video0
    Last edited by aschmidtm; February 9th, 2012 at 09:24 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I have installed Zoneminder on 11.10 OK. However, the webcam (Logitech) does not work. It works fine on Skype and Xawtv. The ZM Console shows "Monitor" in yellow and "Dev/Video (0)" in red. Any ideas?

SOLVED: I had specified the webcam address as "dev/video". It should have been "dev/video0". Working fine now.
    Last edited by bayvista; July 8th, 2012 at 02:21 AM. Reason: Problem Fixed
    Just think how boring life would be without Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

sudhir@sudhir-desktop:~$ ./configure
    bash: ./configure: No such file or directory
    sudhir@sudhir-desktop:~$ sudo ./configure
    sudo: ./configure: command not found
    sudhir@sudhir-desktop:~$
    i have installed zoneminder skipping the build step according to zoneminder wiki,,,now how do i complete this step
    To build ZoneMinder the first thing you need to do is run the included configure script to define some initial configuration. If you are happy with the default settings for the database host (‘localhost’), name (‘zm’), user (‘zmuser’) and password (‘zmpass’) then you can just type
    ./configure --with-webdir=<your web directory> --with-cgidir=<your cgi directory> where --with-webdir is the directory to which you want to install the PHP files, and --with-cgidir is the directory to which you want to install CGI files. These directories could be /var/www/html/zm and /var/www/cgi-bin for example.
    If you want to override any of the default database values then you can append them to the configure command, for example to use a database password of ‘zmnewpass’ do
    ./configure --with-webdir=<your web directory> --with-cgidir=<your cgi directory> ZM_DB_PASS=zmnewpass and so on. The values you can use are ZM_DB_HOST, ZM_DB_NAME, ZM_DB_USER and ZM_DB_PASS. Other than the database name, which is substituted into the database creation script, these values can easily be changed after this step.
    now pls help me

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast