Thread: Change the default dhcp client

Beans

Change the default dhcp client

Hello,

I want to use dhcpcd instead of dhclient on Ubuntu. The 'interfaces' man page say:

"The dhcp Method
    This method may be used to obtain an address via DHCP with any of the tools: dhclient, pump, udhcpc, dhcpcd. (They have been listed in their order of precedence.)"

I can't find where to change this default order. I can uninstall dhcp3-client, but this will also remove ubuntu-minimal, which is not a good solution.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Change the default dhcp client

The "precedence order" of dhcp clients is hard coded in the /sbin/ifup binary (from the ifupdown package), so the only convenient way to use dhcpcd is to remove all of the higher precedence choices.

Just go ahead and install the dhcpcd package. The remove the dhcp3-client and dhcp3-common packages. That will also remove the ubuntu-minimal package, but that's ok; it's just a "meta-package".

Then reboot. Network should come up hopefully. Run "ps" to see that dhcpcd-bin is running. (I tested this on a Maverick virtual machine.)

Possible alternative: Instead of removing the dhcp3-client package, you could rename or change permissions on the /sbin/dhclient* binaries.

Update: Another alternative: Instead of using /etc/network/interfaces, let the NetworkManager take over. It's configuration file allows a "dhcp=" option to specify either dhclient or dhcpcd.
    Last edited by gmargo; June 2nd, 2011 at 01:49 PM.

Beans

Re: Change the default dhcp client

I've tried to use the "dhcp=" option on the networkmanager configuration, but it doesn't work. Seems like networkmanager doesn't works with dhcpcd version 3, the one present on ubuntu's repository: http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=607956

I find out that the version 5 works, but you have to install the package dhcpcd5, which is not avaible on 10.04 (the one used on my work).

So I have to upgrade ubuntu to 10.10 at least in order to use it. It's a shame that I need to have all this work just to change a default dhcp cliend, isn't?

But, anyway, thank you for the reply!