Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Confirmation of steps

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Confirmation of steps

All I can say is 6 gigs is not much room for linux. Sure it will fit, but what are you going to use linux for? The more full the partition is will increase the likely hood of linux problems. You might want to ask someone about this. I've never had that problem as I only run linux and never use more than 75% of my disk before replacing it with a larger drive.
    Gary
    Linux since 1995, Ubuntu since 2006

Beans
    Distro

Not sure if this has been suggested....but why not try it from the livecd before you install. That way you can decide if it is something you want to use.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by larrypg View Post
    Not sure if this has been suggested....but why not try it from the livecd before you install. That way you can decide if it is something you want to use.
    I've already done that and i've decided that i want to install it for real

dFlyer -> how many gigs do you suggest then if i'll only use the linux partition for linux itself and its programs, which will only be the sheer basics (firefox, skype, video editor and 1 or 2 more programs)... If it turns out to be too little space, i can always shrink one of the neighboring partitions and increase the size of the linux one. Done it before, i'm comfortable with it. I've also just noticed my windows partitioning program supportd ext3 formatting, but the latest standard is ext4, isn't it?

Beans
    Distro

In my case, it is 10 GB --- /, 15 GB --/home and 2 GB--swap. It is good to have separate /home partition. It helps you to re-install the new Ubuntu version without loosing your contents.

Beans

So, to go over it again... I have 8GB of free space now. I'm only gonna use Ubuntu limitedly so i doubt i'll need much more than that.

Out of the 8GB free space make
    -2GB swap partition. Do Ubuntu and the installation itself take care of labeling that partition as the swap partition or do i need to manually do stuff later on?
    -4GB root ( " / " ), which is where i suppose ubuntu itself will be installed, along with everything else system-related like programs and all that. I take it the installation will call this your "main" partition?
    -2GB home partition for my personal files, which would be the /home folder. How do i go about making that one during the installation (AFAIK the installation only tells you to make the 2 above) and how do i get the installer to pre-define it as my /home?

Once i know that, i can move on to actually doing it, i was hoping to get it done today after studying and changing my windows antivirus Thanks for the help so far
    Last edited by Faziri; June 14th, 2011 at 04:18 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Beans

Ok, i've got it installed succesfully now The many negative messages (this not found, that not located, can't install such and so) kinda made me freak a bit but all of it worked fine after all... The sudden change in interface when i installed the nvidia driver (i think it's called Unity) is a pretty big downside since the default interface was much handier to me, but i'll guess i'll get that worked out when i start using it for serious stuff... I also got that weird keyring issue where suddenly no password will do and i had to delete the ring, but whatever... Worries for later, back to Win7 for the moment anyway

Thanks for the help and patience

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

If you login to Classic gnome you'll get the old desktop back.
    Glad you got things working ok
    MacBook Pro 10,1 retina

Beans

I've got a new question related to my current setup, hence why i'm posting it here... I've already tried googling it but it seems that my setup is rather rare and nobody has bothered writing a page with the info i need (as far as google can tell anyway)

A few days ago, i experienced the hard way that the grub bootloader doesn't quite like Windows changing partitions (had to reinstall grub from the live cd after getting the grub rescue mode). So, that of course means that i'll have to do all my partitioning via GParted and then make sure to run an updategrub. I'm just wondering: will that have any effect on Windows? I can't quite imagine Windows freaking out just cause there's a new partition that was created while it wasn't active, but you never know in situations like these... Especially not with Windows, lol

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12