Thread: What mouse to buy?

Beans

Re: What mouse to buy?

In a mouse what is important to you?

I.e.

Do you do graphical design?
    Just the basics?

For my ..

Mac (hears everyone scream in the background) I use the Magic Mouse very decent mouse.
    Ubuntu I use Microsoft Wireless Mouse 5000 which was very cheap and I loved the price.

Microsoft Wireless Mouse 5000 mouse is not bluetooth but it outlasts the Magic Mouse.

I use both daily and like them both for different reasons.
    Site:http://timszaboblog.com - Linux / Web Development / Ecommerce

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Hello! Sorry for being away for so long :s

The most important feature on a mouse for me is the capability to recharge without having to pull of the batteries and recharge them (by not using the mouse when doing this).

That Performance MX seems to be a very good option in this case (it has a lot of other features as well), however the price isn't that good
    (Here in Brazil it costs the equivalent of $ 180~190, government abuses on the tax :/)

Do you guys know any other mouse that has this feature? Allowing me to recharge via USB while using it?

Thanks for the tips so far, I have read all of them and they are pretty good

Beans

I really like my Prestigio mouse and it was cheap as well and been going for about 3yrs now.
    http://www.prestigio.com/products/Co...ripherals/mice

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I've been enjoying my Cyborg R.A.T. 7 mouse... they make wireless models as well. Functional, not too overpriced for the lower models, and well.. just plain 'ol cool
    Ubuntu 12.04 for personal use
    Solaris 9, 10 and Red Hat Ent 5 @ work

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I use a trackball with my laptop.
    Esos son mis 2 centavos.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I have a Logitech mouse with an advertised 18 month (!) battery life. Indeed, I've had it for maybe three years now, and I've only needed to change the batteries on it two or three times. Even if it's not 18 months, that's still impressive.

Mine is kinda like this but with black plastic instead of blue.
    http://www.officedepot.com/a/product...ories-_-160803

My biggest complaint about it? The wheel's click operation isn't a button, but a toggle between smooth wheel spin and bumpy wheel spin -- granted, that's a neat feature, but the middle mouse button is directly below and you have to get used to it.

This mouse also advertises 18 months and has the more traditional form factor.
    http://www.logitech.com/en-us/color-...ess-mouse-M325

Sorry, neither of these are Bluetooth.

I had a Bluetooth mouse as well, but that thing chewed up batteries like crazy -- AND kept cutting out. I hesitate to recommend a Bluetooth mouse, particuarly for the second reason (I blame the first on the design of the mouse itself rather than the Bluetooth interface). If you're worried about a massive receiver sticking out of your computer, both of these mice have the really tiny receiver that's built into the USB jack itself.
    Last edited by aaaantoine; June 6th, 2011 at 05:38 PM.
    Acer Aspire 5050-5554 w/ 4GB RAM upgrade. Ubuntu Aug 07 - Dec 08; Arch Linux Dec 08 - July 2011; Ubuntu again since July 2011.
    "Triclops": Home-built AMD Athlon II X2 250, 4GB RAM, Radeon 6570, 500GB HDD. Ubuntu/Windows-XP duo since Jun 2010.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Hey! Thanks.

@mips
    It seems that this company doesn't work here... I found exactly zero of their mouses for sale at internet =P

@sectshun8
    OOH I cant even imagine how hard is to clean up this mouse - haha... It seems to be too much for using at work and college (However, it would fit perfectly my desktop for playing - dreaming about it).

@Jesus_Valdez
    Is it wireless?? Which model is that?
    I have always being curious about trackball mouses but never really had one closer enough to check if it is that good.

@aaaantoine
    Nice! Thanks!
    Sad they aren't rechargeable while using - it is VERY useful since I never remember charging batteries - what batteries do you use on it?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/mice-p...e/devices/3287

i'll buy the V470 as soon as it's available again from my suppliers.

it *should* work out of the box but it's my first experience with a bluetooth mice so i don't have much interesting info about it or any other.

a problem could be this but i have a foxconn internal adapter (sorry, no info again):
    http://forums.logitech.com/t5/Mice-B...ag/td-p/182134
    the orthographic errors i usually type are always intentionall
    http://xkcd.com/627/
    no scrolling with synaptics/alps touchpad? have a look HERE

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by micael3000 View Post
    Hey! Thanks.
    @aaaantoine
    Nice! Thanks!
    Sad they aren't rechargeable while using - it is VERY useful since I never remember charging batteries - what batteries do you use on it?
    Alkaline batteries. Duracell, Energizer, Everready, whatever I happen to have in stock, really. Current ones are Duracell. The mouse gives plenty of fair warning about dying batteries, actually. If I don't have any in stock, I have maybe a day or two to run to the store before they completely run out. You could probably use the rechargeable lithium batteries, but you won't get 18 months out of those.

A rechargeable mouse would be nice, particularly one that uses a nice long mini/micro USB cable, like a hybrid wired/wireless mouse.
    Acer Aspire 5050-5554 w/ 4GB RAM upgrade. Ubuntu Aug 07 - Dec 08; Arch Linux Dec 08 - July 2011; Ubuntu again since July 2011.
    "Triclops": Home-built AMD Athlon II X2 250, 4GB RAM, Radeon 6570, 500GB HDD. Ubuntu/Windows-XP duo since Jun 2010.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

While I have seen some wireless Trackball in particular the ones that I own aren't.

I mean, since the mouse doesn't actually move I don't care about the wires.
    Esos son mis 2 centavos.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12