Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MSOutlook import into Evolution

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Exclamation MSOutlook import into Evolution

I was told and I tried to

import mails and contacts from MSOutlook in windows to Thunderbird. It worked and even kept the folder hierarchy of the emails, as well as the contacts. My only task now is to find the /.evolution folder in ubuntu and past everything.

But was disappointed that thunderbird has no calendar, no ToDos and tasks so I'm wondering how could I import these great Outlook features into evolution, too. Anyone with such an experience willing to share it with us?
    Last edited by r2d211; June 1st, 2011 at 06:04 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: MSOutlook import into Evolution

Dear d2d211

Thank you for the question. If you open up Ubuntu Software Centre and search for "Thunderbird calendar" you will find an item with the name of Lightning.

If you install this, (you can also install it by opening up Synaptic and searching in the same way) you can re-start Thunderbird and the calendar will be there instantly.

I don't know why it needs to be installed separately, but at least there is an easy way to get it!

Please reply to let me know if you get it right or not.
    Etienne Snyman
    Living life in danger is real living. The rest is television.

Beans
    Distro

Etiene, thak you for the thoughtfulness. My problem is that I don't have yet an internet connection for my ubuntu, so I download packages from windows and then try to install them in Natty. Do you think I could find such a package at packages.ubuntu?

I'll give it a try. But anyway, how will thunderbird (in ubuntu) import calendar settings from Outlook (in XP)?

Should I try anyway?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Thunderbird and Lightning are two separate projects from Mozilla. This is why they are installed separately. I think you will find that Lightning gives Thunderbird the functionality you are seeking.

(There is a Lightning stand-alone application and what you want is the Lightning extension for Thunderbird.)

Unfortunately I'm not seeing Lightning in Synaptic under 10.04 (there is something for programming called "lightning" but that's not it). You may have to visit the Thunderbird site to get it:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/
    "We're all in this together, kid." --H. Tuttle (a.k.a. H. Buttle)
    "Maybe it's a layer 8 problem." --thatguruguy
    A High-Tech Blech!

Beans
    Distro

Okay, Jamey, I'll give it a try and keep you update!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Jamesisin is right. You can download the Lightning extension directly from Mozilla on the internet.

Here is a direct link:
    https://addons.mozilla.org/thunderbi...313-latest.xpi

Download this file to your hard disk (probably to your Downloads directory), and then open Thunderbird, go to the Tools menu and select Add-ons. Under Extensions, click on Install, and then find the place where you downloaded "addon-2313-latest.xpi" and then press Open (or whatever you need to install it).

Once you close and restart Thunderbird, it should work fine.

Feel free to search https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/ for extra add-ons. Although Thunderbird is supposed to support Microsoft Exchange and Gmail from the start, there are add-ons for those servers if it doesn't want to work.
    Etienne Snyman
    Living life in danger is real living. The rest is television.

Beans
    Distro

I just tried today the "import from Outlook" plugin olof evolution and it seems to work, but only for emails and contacts. Notes, to dos and calendar is left out, even if it has options for importing them.

I'll try tomorrow the TB way.

Beans
    Distro

I just tried today the "import from Outlook" plugin of evolution and it seems to work, but only for emails and contacts. Notes, to dos and calendar is left out, even if it has options for importing them.

I'll try tomorrow the TB way.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

For the calendar (and perhaps for the notes and to-dos) there are tools for synchronizing Tb with Google calendar and I believe also for Outlook. This would allow you to sync Outlook with GCal and then sync GCal with Tb.
    "We're all in this together, kid." --H. Tuttle (a.k.a. H. Buttle)
    "Maybe it's a layer 8 problem." --thatguruguy
    A High-Tech Blech!

Beans
    Distro

Yes, but you forget my MAIN problem: cannot get to the internet yet in ubuntu, bbtether doesn't work properly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast