Thread: pidgin integration in unity

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

pidgin integration in unity

Hello,

Today I tried to setup pidgin at my fresh ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal system. Unfortunately I didn't find a solution to integrate Pidgin into the unity desktop.

I didn't manage to add the tray icon to the unity tray. According to google, the following should do the trick:

Code:
    $ gsettings set com.canonical.Unity.Panel systray-whitelist "['JavaEmbeddedFrame', 'Mumble', 'Wine', 'Skype', 'hp-systray', 'scp-dbus-service', 'pidgin']"
    Unfortunately it didn't change anything. The Pidgin tray icon is still missing.

Now I'm wondering whether there's a solution to integrate Pidgin into unity at all. My unity tray includes the letter icon, which lists Pidgin in a submenu. And it contains the instant messenger icon. Here I can change my status, but when I select 'Chat-Accounts' (in german: Chat-Konten), Empathy is started instead of Pidgin.

Greetings,
    jonas

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: pidgin integration in unity

I changed 'pidgin' to 'Pidgin' and got the tray icon after I ran command 'unity --replace'.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

This is a bit late, but if you install pidgin-libnotify, you'll get a Pidgin entry in the messaging menu.

Beans

I had already iinstalled pidgin-libnotify (dpkg -l |grep pidgin-libnotify) but Pidgin still was not on tray, Y had to:
    Code:
    gsettings set com.canonical.Unity.Panel systray-whitelist "['JavaEmbeddedFrame', 'Mumble', 'Wine', 'Skype', 'hp-systray', 'scp-dbus-service', 'Pidgin']"
    unity --replace &
    to have it. Pidgin remains on Launcher when minimized, but disappears but remains resident when "closed" with the x, forcing me to "killall pidgin". Sometimes even LibreOfficeCalc disappear from Launcher!

I'm also trying with tilt2, a taskbar... :S

$ unity --version
    unity 4.24.0
    $ pidgin --version
    Pidgin 2.10.0 (libpurple 2.10.0)

Beans
    Distro

Did you enable the plugin (Tools->Plugins)? A pidgin entry should appear in the messaging indicator.

Beans

gsettings set com.canonical.Unity.Panel systray-whitelist "['JavaEmbeddedFrame', 'Mumble', 'Wine', 'Skype', 'hp-systray', 'scp-dbus-service', 'pidgin']"
    ok. but how can i undo this?

Beans
    Distro

Code:
    gsettings reset com.canonical.Unity.Panel systray-whitelist
    Or alternatively, you can navigate to com.canonical.Unity.Panel in dconf-editor, click on systray-whitelist, and click reset.

Beans

indeed this command worked for me:
    gsettings set com.canonical.Unity.Panel systray-whitelist "['JavaEmbeddedFrame', 'Mumble', 'Wine', 'Skype', 'hp-systray', 'scp-dbus-service', 'Pidgin']"
    then i rebooted as first time when i tried with
    unity --replace
    i got some errors and my desktop was not responding, this is by the way on ubuntu 11.10/gnome 3.2.1/kernel 3.0.0-14-generic