Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Desktop off Limits

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Desktop off Limits?

Have been seeing this behavior for a couple of days and wanted to make sure that this is the normal at this point in time. Nothing will stick to the desktop and the normal right click on it does not bring the usual drop down menu. With all the changes of gnome 2 to gnome 3 was not sure if that was the reason or a bug needed to be filed.

Thanks Bill
    Last edited by sparker256; May 31st, 2011 at 10:52 AM.
    LINUX Flight Simulator Machine - AMD 8-Core FX-8350 - Antec KUHLER H2O 920 - 32G Ram - Nvidia GeForce GTX 680 PCI/Express 4096 MB - Driver Version 310.14 - Asus VE278 - Ubuntu 64 bit 12.04 - 12.10 - 13.04 - 13.10 - 14.04 - X-Plane 10.25b1

Beans

Re: Desktop off Limits

That is correct, Gnome 3 places less emphasis on the desktop, more on maximised windows.
    There's no place like ~/

Beans

try running 'gnome-tweak-tool'
    and switch 'file manager->have file manager handle the desktop' on

the desktop is apparently doomed! i guess it was deemed a little too much of the fear at the one time though

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by SevenMachines View Post

the desktop is apparently doomed! i guess it was deemed a little too much of the fear at the one time though
    Things still stick to the desktop in Kubuntu...
    Custom PC- Athlon II, GeForce 210, Kubuntu Ocelot
    Dell Inspiron 1564, i3 Arrandale, Lubuntu Lucid
    Winbook M Series, Kubuntu Ocelot

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by teh603 View Post
    Things still stick to the desktop in Kubuntu...
    Only if you have the 'Desktop' applet enabled, though
    There's no place like ~/

Beans

think gnome and canonical have both come to the same conclusion with all their gui testing and research stuff (hazily remembered, not a fact!) so it may way come to pass eventually over years to come. with windows not easily minimised/maximised in unity i've been getting used to using the file manager to fiddle on the 'desktop' directory and have now much less of the fear...

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Joe of loath View Post
    Only if you have the 'Desktop' applet enabled, though
    Its called Folder View. Although I've had a fair bit of luck dragging icons out of Dolphin onto the desktop itself- for example, I keep a firefox icon on the parents' desktop, and I've been able to drop folder icons as well.
    Custom PC- Athlon II, GeForce 210, Kubuntu Ocelot
    Dell Inspiron 1564, i3 Arrandale, Lubuntu Lucid
    Winbook M Series, Kubuntu Ocelot

Beans
    Distro

Tried that and got the following error when trying to run it in terminal.

My bigger issue is how do I get a bash script into the unity launcher? Before I could make a launcher on the desktop and move it to the unity launcher. Now that this is gone, how do you do this? If there was a drop down menu selection from a right click called "copy to> unity launcher" all this would be mute.

Thanks for reading my attempts at making sense of all this. I love windows and that is not MS version but multiple windows on a desktop. If I have lost that I will be looking for another option but also love Ubuntu so I am looking for a better solution.

Bill
    Attached Files Attached Files
    LINUX Flight Simulator Machine - AMD 8-Core FX-8350 - Antec KUHLER H2O 920 - 32G Ram - Nvidia GeForce GTX 680 PCI/Express 4096 MB - Driver Version 310.14 - Asus VE278 - Ubuntu 64 bit 12.04 - 12.10 - 13.04 - 13.10 - 14.04 - X-Plane 10.25b1

Beans

think you need gnome-shell installed to sort out the tweak error(?) i had it before but cant remember sadly. not too sure about the best way to get scripts into the launcher, i havent had much time to look up some of the more advanced things you can do with it, i've just right-click->'keep in launcher' whatever. i'm with you on the multiple windows thing, window management is the oddest thing to adapt to with unity i'm finding.

[EDIT] just checked, yes you need gnome-shell installed for tweak
    Last edited by SevenMachines; May 31st, 2011 at 09:32 PM.

Beans
    Distro

think you need gnome-shell installed to sort out the tweak error(?) i had it before but cant remember sadly. not too sure about the best way to get scripts into the launcher, i havent had much time to look up some of the more advanced things you can do with it, i've just right-click->'keep in launcher' whatever. i'm with you on the multiple windows thing, window management is the oddest thing to adapt to with unity i'm finding.

[EDIT] just checked, yes you need gnome-shell installed for tweak
    You were right I did not have gnome-shell installed but now do and error is gone. Will report back what I find.

Ps it was already on I just could not see it..

Bill
    Last edited by sparker256; May 31st, 2011 at 09:39 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast