Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Latest official stable NVIDIA driver.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Latest official stable NVIDIA driver.

Don't use version 173, that's ancient. Use version-current.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Hi!, diwanescu,

jwcalla Posted:
    Don't use version 173, that's ancient. Use version-current.
    Provided the version you have is 173.14-36, it is not ancient at all; it is dated 4 Oct 2012 and is updated for the latest Xorg-server.

It is the correct driver for your card.

None the less, for the Quadro FX 570M, Nvidia also recommend the 304.51 and 304.64, the first of which should be available for 12.04 from the x-swat ppa, if not from Additional Drivers or Synaptic.

The Quadro FX 570M is listed as a supported product for the 304.51.

Edit: I just checked Synaptic in my 12.04, and 304.51 is listed as 'nvidia-current', if you install it, you should also get 'nvidia-settings', it is also v304.51.

It is also advisable to purge the old driver and remove or rename the Xorg.conf file.

Chao!, bogan.
    Last edited by bogan; November 10th, 2012 at 07:10 PM. Reason: Note re 12.04 added
    "Better Solutions may bring Worsened Problems": After Lao Tse, b. circa 405BC. a contemporary of Confucius, who died circa 600BC.
    They did things differently in those days, apparently!!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by diwanescu View Post
    Got a Quadro FX 570M in a Lenovo T61p (2GB RAM) with docking station and dual-monitor set-up on 12.04 - setup working with nvidia driver version 173 but have annoying stuttering and slaggy performance.

any suggestions out there what nvidia driver version to use to get rid of this? Does the latest official stable version resolve?
    You could use nvidia-current-updates, which theoretically, will always be the lastest updated driver (at the moment it's 304.x, but it's not updated to 304.64 yet). nvidia-current is the lastest driver at the moment of freeze the development, that's it, the newest driver available when your Ubuntu version was released. There are also some experimental drivers, but I don't recommend you to enable them as they shouldn't be much stable.
    I've been using nvidia-current-updates and never got a problem (assuming my poor GC performance), but today I've updated to 304.64 adding the ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates PPA and installing its nvidia-current.
    TL;DR - I recommend you nvidia-current-updates
    Catbuntu (blog)
    CPU→Intel Core 2 Duo @ 2,00GHz. RAM3GB. Graphics card→NVIDIA GeForce 9300M GS. O.S.→Ubuntu 14.04 «Trusty Tahr» 64 bit
    [TPI Blog | TPI GitHub ]

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Hi!, All,

RE: Warning! Nvidia beta driver 310 does not support 6xxx series cards, and Nvidia warns it may ignore 7xxx series GPU's.

The same, presumably, applies to the Additional Drivers 'nvidia-experimental-310' driver, as well.

I have been running, successfully, the 310.14 driver, with 12.10 Quantal, on an 8GB USB SanDisk, in a computer with a GeForce GT 520 card. That is an nvidia.com downloaded '.run' file.

I transferred the USB to a computer with a GT 7650 card and its graphics were a total shambles, with a GUI in a very low-res with huge characters & Mouse cursor, but no launcher or tool bar panel.[ Nouveau was blacklisted.]

When I ran:
    Code:
    NVIDIA-Linux-x86-310.14.run --latest
    it listed 310.14 as installed, and 310.16 as the latest available. { Incidently, 310.16 is not listed as an available Beta driver on the nvidia website, though the whole 7xxx series is listed as supported by 310.14 beta, but not the 6xxx series}.

However, when I tried to reinstall 310.14, I got a message saying no graphics card had been detected that was supported by 310.14, and if installed it would ignore my GPU; ie. the GT 7650. It recommended I install 304.60.

So if you have a 6000 or 7000 series video card watch out.

Chao!, bogan.
    "Better Solutions may bring Worsened Problems": After Lao Tse, b. circa 405BC. a contemporary of Confucius, who died circa 600BC.
    They did things differently in those days, apparently!!

Beans

What is the most recent nVidia Driver? I have a Video Card: EVGA 01G-P3-1556-KR GeForce GTX 550 running on ASUS MOBO with AMD FX-6100 six-core CPU.
    The nVidia driver I have is version 280.13. Is there a more recent driver?
    Last edited by juanbuntu; May 23rd, 2013 at 06:52 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by juanbuntu View Post
    What is the most recent nVidia Driver? I have a Video Card: EVGA 01G-P3-1556-KR GeForce GTX 550 running on ASUS MOBO with AMD FX-6100 six-core CPU.
    The nVidia driver I have is version 280.13. Is there a more recent driver?
    I think the latest is 313.XXX, but I think the latest provided through Ubuntu is 310.XXX.
    Depending on which version of Ubuntu you're running, it could be labelled either nvidia-310 or nvidia-experimental-310.
    I forget what I'm running on my raring build, but running precise I'm using nvidia-current-updates which is 304.88.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456