Thread: Make iso of hard drive w/ windows before switching over to ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Make iso of hard drive w/ windows before switching over to ubuntu

Hey,
    My sister has finally seen the light and has decided to switch to Linux. First, though, we're planning on making an image of the hard drive as it is now in case she decides to just go back to what she knows. Yesterday, I spent all day trying to make an image using ISO Master. It made an image (I think) but wouldn't recognize that I had a dvd in to write the image to. Then I tried again and somehow managed to almost max out my own hard drive.
    Today, I've been trying to play around w/ ghost, but it won't work right. I've tried with both her computer and her hard drive hooked up to my computer. No luck. Any suggestions?
    Thanks
    Last edited by Pengi-FlyGirl26; May 31st, 2011 at 12:00 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

Re: Make iso of hard drive w/ windows before switching over to ubuntu

Yeah -- quit messing around with ISO creation and do this the EASY way -- install the FREE version of Macrium Reflect and use it to image the Win7 install off to an external drive, or to DVDs. Also, use the option to create the MR Boot CD.

That will allow you to later boot from the MR Boot CD and use it to restore from the external hard drive or DVDs.
    Ubuntu 20.04, Mint 19.10; MS Win10 Pro.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Will that work for something other than Windows 7? Her computer has XP and it's so old that it's literally falling apart. It takes 20 minutes just to boot up and gets at least 5 viruses a day, which is why we're switching her over.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hard drive was too corrupt to image. It would have been FUBAR if we hadn't just gone ahead and boot nuked it. No wonder I kept getting errors.