Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Menu/ Title bar missing error 11.04 restart X

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    UK
    Beans
    12
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

    Exclamation Menu/ Title bar missing error 11.04 restart X

    I have been using 11.04 since it was released, I first did an upgrade but had this problem.

    I ran a fresh install on another machine this problem eventualy reared its ugly head.

    I do not know what triggers this so I am unable to replicate this error.

    The only way to get it back is to reboot, logout or restart X all are very annoying to say the least.

    I have attached screen shots to clarify.

    I am using Ubuntu 11.04 64bit.

    Many thanks in advance

    Pete
    Attached Images Attached Images

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Berlin, Germany
    Beans
    4,534
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: Menu/ Title bar missing error 11.04 restart X

    If that happens, Compiz' "gtk-window-decorator" or even Compiz itself has crashed. You can just restart either of those. I suggest placing launchers for the below stated commands on your desktop, at least for the latter mentioned case, if you are using Unity, otherwise you could also run those commands through the Alt+F2 dialog.

    To restart "gtk-window-decorator":
    Code:
    gtk-window-decorator --replace
    To restart Compiz:
    Code:
    compiz --replace
    Greetings.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    UK
    Beans
    12
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

    Re: Menu/ Title bar missing error 11.04 restart X

    Thank you for your swift reply.

    I will try this the next time I come accoss this problem.

    What I would like to know is this a bug, and has it been noted for repair?

    This has just happened on U11.04 32bit different system...

    Many thanks

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Berlin, Germany
    Beans
    4,534
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: Menu/ Title bar missing error 11.04 restart X

    Quote Originally Posted by 08x View Post
    What I would like to know is this a bug, and has it been noted for repair?
    You can search launchpad.net for related bug reports regarding both packages "compiz" and "compiz-gnome".

    I want to add that I had a similar issue in my Lucid 10.04, where Compiz didn't bring up the window decorations every other login or so. But it has since been fixed, or at least it doesn't happen anymore.

    Although you didn't specifically say it, it seems that in your case the window decorations disappear within a running session, right?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    UK
    Beans
    12
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

    Re: Menu/ Title bar missing error 11.04 restart X

    Ok I will have a look, I have been googling it for a few weeks now.

    That's correct the session is currently running.

    Sometimes it can be fixed by closing the program that seems to be missing the bar and re-open it, it is not always on all windows, other times it is.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    UK
    Beans
    12
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

    Re: Menu/ Title bar missing error 11.04 restart X

    I have just had this error happen, mid session on ALL windows, closing all programs and reopening did not fix but

    gtk-window-decorator --replace
    Did without restart and worked VERY quickly...

    So thank you for that and i hope someone finds the bug soon

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Beans
    1

    Re: Menu/ Title bar missing error 11.04 restart X

    This only works if I leave the command window up. As soon as I close it, the original problem pops back up again.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Berlin, Germany
    Beans
    4,534
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: Menu/ Title bar missing error 11.04 restart X

    Quote Originally Posted by gellingboe View Post
    This only works if I leave the command window up. As soon as I close it, the original problem pops back up again.
    Please see my initial post regarding running those commands through the Alt+F2 dialog or launchers.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Beans
    3

    Talking Re: Menu/ Title bar missing error 11.04 restart X

    Quote Originally Posted by Krytarik View Post
    If that happens, Compiz' "gtk-window-decorator" or even Compiz itself has crashed. You can just restart either of those. I suggest placing launchers for the below stated commands on your desktop, at least for the latter mentioned case, if you are using Unity, otherwise you could also run those commands through the Alt+F2 dialog.

    To restart "gtk-window-decorator":
    Code:
    gtk-window-decorator --replace
    To restart Compiz:
    Code:
    compiz --replace
    Greetings.
    I've had the same issue and replacing gtk-window-decorator solves the problem. I think it happens when I fire up Netbeans 7.0 (might be a Java issue with gtk?)

    In any case, I created two launchers in the top panel for a quick fix when the problem happens again.

    Thank you for the solution!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Beans
    19

    Re: Menu/ Title bar missing error 11.04 restart X

    Quote Originally Posted by yanick.rochon View Post
    I've had the same issue and replacing gtk-window-decorator solves the problem. I think it happens when I fire up Netbeans 7.0 (might be a Java issue with gtk?)

    In any case, I created two launchers in the top panel for a quick fix when the problem happens again.

    Thank you for the solution!
    This is not really a solution, more of a work around.
    The solution is to disable compiz.
    Sorry to say, but it is buggy as hell and made multiple systems i have unstable.

    Select Ubuntu Classic logon, remove unity and compiz and after that using gconf you can set the 3d rendering to metacity.
    And last but not least: please report the bug on compiz

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •