Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Alternatives to Ubuntu

Beans

Angry Alternatives to Ubuntu

I have an old Packard Bell IMedia 5000-series and am running Ubuntu 11.04 (Natty) on it right now, but it is quite slow, as it only has 512MB of DDR-RAM , I am looking into another distro . I have looked at openSUSE and Xubuntu, but which is best for this. It has a 2.66GHz P4, 512MB DDR, 196MB ATI Radeon, 2 DVD drives, 1 Floppy drive, USB, Integrated sound, Integrated Ethernet, a winmodem (which I have taken out, a parallel port, an RS232 serial port, and a 240 volt power supply. It needs to have equivalents to all the programs in Ubuntu, but they do not need to be installed as standard. I do not like Fedora or Linux Mint, and Kubuntu is too hungry on hardware.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Alternatives to Ubuntu

Lubuntu is a lighter Ubuntu.

Scientific 6.0 is a very stable OS. Flies on an older PC I have. You mentioned not liking Fedora, but Scientific is a polished and desktop ready rebrand of RHEL; can't beat that

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I'm not sure what kind of software options it gives or if you'll like the User Interface, but you should consider puppy Linux. I've never used it myself, but when I saw your stats it was the first distro that came to mind.
    Here's a linke to the main page: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1771446

Beans

I'd give Crunchbang a try. http://crunchbanglinux.org/
    I still maintain the point that designing a monolithic kernel in 1991 is a fundamental error. Be thankful you are not my student. You would not get a high grade for such a design (Andrew Tanenbaum to Linus Torvalds)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Lash009 View Post
    I'm not sure what kind of software options it gives or if you'll like the User Interface, but you should consider puppy Linux. I've never used it myself, but when I saw your stats it was the first distro that came to mind.
    Here's a linke to the main page: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1771446
    People underestimate specs a bit. I run compiz+Fedora just fine on a PC with lesser specs than his. Puppy feels too limited and old.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I'd give Lubuntu a go.

Beans

Lubuntu will be perfect on this PC. I have a few laptops of a slightly lower spec than this, and they're perfectly usable and reliable with Lubuntu on.
    There's no place like ~/

Beans

Smile Re: Alternatives to Ubuntu

Puppy Linux is not for me, but I will consider Lubuntu 11.04. However, I like XFCE, so I will try Xubuntu 11.04 as well. What do you think about openSUSE 11.4 with GNOME?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I use and love kubuntu but for older hardware I suggest xubuntu that is what they use at FreeGeek. You should take a look at FreeGeek.

Beans

Exclamation Re: Alternatives to Ubuntu

I also don't like distros like Damn small linux and Feather Linux, as I think they are too restrictive and outdated, and Puppy Linux is not for me, as I am not used to openbox. I have used GNOME, XFCE, Fluxbox, and JWM. I would prefer the first two managers. I need a GUI, and I don't like Tiny core.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast