Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions for a Bachelor Thesis Project!

Beans

Smile Suggestions for a Bachelor Thesis Project!

Next spring I'm doing my Bachelor Thesis Project in Software Development and have started thinking about what I should make. I figure I have two possible choices if I want to do something that will be used and apprechiated.

1. I ask a company to specify something they need.
    2. I build something for the ubuntu/linux community.

I'd really prefer the second option since I'm a huge fan of open scource and would like to contribute something to the community. But what would be the most used/apprechiated? That's where you come in!

What kind of application do you miss in linux? Is there something you think would be a great tool or convenience? Do you have an interesting idea for a game? Any thoughts are welcomed!

The main thing for me is that it should be a piece of software that many people can benefit from.

The project spans over about 16 weeks and the ideal conclusion would be to make the software available through the repositories when it's done.

I hope we can together come up with some fun and interesting ideas!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Suggestions for a Bachelor Thesis Project!

Is this a 'Thesis' or a Dev Project?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I'm having trouble thinking of something that could be built in 16 weeks that the Ubuntu/Linux community doesn't already have.

Can you do any of these in 16 weeks? http://www.fsf.org/campaigns/priority-projects/

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jhonan View Post
    Is this a 'Thesis' or a Dev Project?
    It's a dev project. The reason why I frased it that way is because I live in Sweden and the system is a bit different.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I want:

j/k
    "Act only according to that maxim by which you can also will that it would become a universal law." - Immanuel Kant
    "Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master." - Pravin Lal

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by NovaAesa View Post
    I'm having trouble thinking of something that could be built in 16 weeks that the Ubuntu/Linux community doesn't already have.

Can you do any of these in 16 weeks? http://www.fsf.org/campaigns/priority-projects/
    I'm not sure anyone could "do" those in 16 weeks. ^^ Besides, most of that is work that's already begun. I could certainly make a contribution though I'm not sure if it would make a great project.

Examples of what people have done before is games for android or in java, a simulator of logical gates designed as a teaching aid, a "context aware" scheduler that notifies you of things you need to do when you're in the vicinity of where you should do it (android). Some people even made a bar with a home made touch screen interface.

Here are some links to stuff others have done (though obviously not stricktly software develoopment):

You work in groups of 5 so you can do pretty heavy projects.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ZarathustraDK View Post
    I want:

j/k
    That would be awsome! xD Though in linux he'd have to have super-powers... I wonder if if clippy could actually be made usefull?..

Beans

How about a help guide (visually/demo/interactive) to learn computer & technology use in general and Ubuntu for normal human beings without falling into the fallacies of abrreviations/pre-supposed knowledge of the operator/human- instead of user centered?

Thus for the normal user, that is not interested in technicalities, issues, updates, security babble, latest dev versions, speed, MIPS, CPU, etc... Persons that just want to know how to use a system, what is (im)possibe etc...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by alex2399 View Post
    How about a help guide (visually/demo/interactive) to learn computer & technology use in general and Ubuntu for normal human beings without falling into the fallacies of abrreviations/pre-supposed knowledge of the operator/human- instead of user centered?

Thus for the normal user, that is not interested in technicalities, issues, updates, security babble, latest dev versions, speed, MIPS, CPU, etc... Persons that just want to know how to use a system, what is (im)possibe etc...
    What did you have in mind for the format? Video, text, game or something else?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

For my fourth year project I did a national database where all UPC would be in a database so you could search for a product online and it would bring up all the stores nearest you that had the item and the prices they had it at. It would flip the economic supply/demand curve to pretty much eliminate consumer surplus because nobody would be overpaying for items, they'd get it at the lowest possible price they could. Stores could no longer overcharge because they're a shopping giant, they need to compete with the lowest seller online and are fighting for the consumer's business instead of relying on their own footprint.

Another idea that I would do if I were to do it again would be a home automation project. I have my house set up with X10 and I'd love to have the time to develop a front end application for it instead of running things from the command line.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tristam Green View Post
    I can tell you something about a turntable.
    I have two of them.
    And a microphone.
    Where it's at.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast