Page 34 of 287 FirstFirst ... 2432333435364484134 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: VinDSL Conky Script

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: HOWTO: VinDSL Conky Script

This goes back to 2006 but still going. You might find something usable in there.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=281865

I don't know why the original has temperature temperature but it works and I did it for the other lines. The 30 is a delay.

Apologies to all for posting so much in Vince's thread but just trying to help out a fellow user.

Quote Originally Posted by VinDSL View Post
    I cannot update the "perpetual data dump", on the first page of this thread. Ubuntu Forums changed the rules, and posts go stale after a certain length of time, e.g. you cannot edit posts after a certain date.
    Well - the way I see it is - it should not matter what you have on the first page as what we are doing is evolving all the time and people are aware of that and come to the latest posts to see what else is new. So they will see the latest vinDSL scripts with improvements. Just a thought
    If there were 24 days in a week, and 365 weeks in a year, we surely could get a lot more work done.
    It is funny you say that - I always felt that way lol

Conkywx fetches on boot, but force update is required for subsequent fetches.
    If you are running it that way - do you realize that conkywx --forceupdate is outside of conky and conky is never calling conkywx at all. Please run you conky scripts in a terminal and perhaps comment out_to_console and ncurses.

I am NOT using lua so I comment the pre TEXT calls to load lua scripts.

Hrm... It's like the minimum_fetch_time (which I've set to "0" [zero] in conkywx.conf) is now being ignored.

It worked earlier today -- fetched data every time I saved .conkyrc, et cetera.
    We have to investigate why conky is not calling conkywx !!! and why it is erratic . Last hour have had 3 updates on vinDSL wx and looking good here
    Last edited by paramvir; September 19th, 2012 at 04:47 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Because I am not getting consistant fetching I have made a workaround script untill this can be resolved. I call it repeat and will force a fetch every 15 minutes. I named it repeat.sh

Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    while true; do
      sleep 3600
      killall conky && conkywx -c ~/.conky/weather/conkywx.conf -f && conky
    done
    Bill
    Last edited by sparker256; September 20th, 2012 at 12:31 AM.
    LINUX Flight Simulator Machine - AMD 8-Core FX-8350 - Antec KUHLER H2O 920 - 32G Ram - Nvidia GeForce GTX 780 PCI/Express 6144 MB - Driver Version 340.76 - Asus VE278 - Ubuntu 64 bit 12.04 - 14.04 - 15.10-X-Plane 10.36rc1

Smile Re: HOWTO: VinDSL Conky Script

Quote Originally Posted by sparker256 View Post
    Because I am not getting consistant fetching I have made a workaround script untill this can be resolved. I call it repeat and will force a fetch every 15 minutes. I named it repeat.sh

Code:
    #!/bin/bash

while [ 900 ]; do
      killall conky && conkywx -c ~/.conky/weather/conkywx.conf -f && conky
      sleep 900
    done
    Bill
    Like I mentioned earlier - this is circumventing the issue isn't it.

Do you get any messages in the terminal - I do not think so - there was no activity when I started using the vinDSL script yesterday. I just increased the text buffer and finally it started working. Today it has been working for 2 hours now - and I must mention I am not using any lua scripts.

here is a screenshot
    http://en.zimagez.com/zimage/screenshot-0927am.php

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by paramvir View Post
    Like I mentioned earlier - this is circumventing the issue isn't it.

Do you get any messages in the terminal - I do not think so - there was no activity when I started using the vinDSL script yesterday. I just increased the text buffer and finally it started working. Today it has been working for 2 hours now - and I must mention I am not using any lua scripts.

here is a screenshot
    http://en.zimagez.com/zimage/screenshot-0927am.php
    I fully understand this is circumventing the issue and will change my script to 3600 instead of 900 to allow testing but if I do not get a fetch in 1 hour it will force it.

My text buffer is set to 4500 so maybe I need it even higher?

Yesterday I had one machine featching corectly and the other not at all. I rebooted the one that was working and on reboot it had stopped feteching. This is all very strange but will continue to test to try to find the magic bullet to make this work.

Bill
    LINUX Flight Simulator Machine - AMD 8-Core FX-8350 - Antec KUHLER H2O 920 - 32G Ram - Nvidia GeForce GTX 780 PCI/Express 6144 MB - Driver Version 340.76 - Asus VE278 - Ubuntu 64 bit 12.04 - 14.04 - 15.10-X-Plane 10.36rc1

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Couldn't you run the script from a terminal with the -verbose option to log errors as they were encountered?

Beans
    Distro

@ All: I only have a moment. I'll follow-up on all posts later.

Quote Originally Posted by paramvir View Post
    We have to investigate why conky is not calling conkywx !!! and why it is erratic . Last hour have had 3 updates on vinDSL wx and looking good here
    Hi Paramvir
    Another piece of the riddle... perhaps.

I'm running short of time. So, as fate would have it, I ran into something of interest...

On a lark, I renamed various instances of conkywx.conf and ran conky-restart.sh afterward, in order to see what the result(s) would be.

Sometimes the Conky script icons would be missing - or the Conky icons were missing, plus the data was displayed in metric instead of imperial.

I even ended up with two instances of Conky running at the same time - one which required sudo to killall. LoL!

I won't have a chance to investigate until later today, but I have a *feeling* that Conky and/or Conkywx is reading more than one conkywx.conf at a time, depending on the action.

This is just a hunch...

BBL
    Intel ® P4 Extreme Edition 3.4 (Gallatin) || DFI ® LanParty PRO875B rev B1
    Crucial ® Ballistix Tracer PC4000 1GB || Mountain Mods U2-UFO Opti-1203
    XFX 7600GT 560M AGP (PV-T73A-UDF3) || Corsair HX520W Modular PSU

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome

Hi Paramvir,

Thanks for the very helpful comments i think i have cracked it now, here's what i did after reading all the info in the past couple of days:

Firstly i have put my template back in the examples folder and gave everything root and changed the call-up slightly.

FULL Path to template above TEXT

template1 /usr/share/conkywx/examples/wx-wu-vindsl-template

TEXT

the call-up is now:
    ${execpi 900 conkywx -c /conkywx.conf -t ${template1}

No need to supply a path for the conkywx.conf because you say that's the only place where conkywx can look! /etc/conkywx.

i have used the "Fetch" thingy that works great,
    and now i get all the updates!

Next thing i have set the default time of 870 in the conkywx.conf i dont seem to need that set to 0.

i also have my text_buffer_size set to 4500 as suggested, conky freezes for a moment during updating and then displays updated data jeeha!

And i have no trouble rebooting computer works every time now!
    I'm sooooo smiling now and i hope these tips can help.

one cosmetic point i can't explain is when using the SI data set to 2, i did have a C after most of the temps and ° symbol but now i only get the ° symbol but it should look like this °C.
    The two things that have this is the main temp (the big one) and the feels like temp.
    ------------------
    Thanks for nice comment about my desktop cheers Sean
    Last edited by foodoo; September 19th, 2012 at 07:15 PM.

Talking Re: HOWTO: VinDSL Conky Script

Quote Originally Posted by VinDSL View Post
    @ All: I only have a moment. I'll follow-up on all posts later.

Hi Paramvir
    Another piece of the riddle... perhaps.

I'm running short of time. So, as fate would have it, I ran into something of interest...

On a lark, I renamed various instances of conkywx.conf and ran conky-restart.sh afterward, in order to see what the result(s) would be.

Sometimes the Conky script icons would be missing - or the Conky icons were missing, plus the data was displayed in metric instead of imperial.

I even ended up with two instances of Conky running at the same time - one which required sudo to killall. LoL!

I won't have a chance to investigate until later today, but I have a *feeling* that Conky and/or Conkywx is reading more than one conkywx.conf at a time, depending on the action.

This is just a hunch...

BBL

OK if you remove all config files then conkywx will fall back on to default values
    Code:
    Default_use_xml=1
    Default_xml_ID=IDELHINE8
    Default_Location=42182
    Default_Units_to_Use=SI
    Default_Units_downloaded=SI
    Default_Units_show=1
    Default_use_short_date=1
    Default_show_notification=1
    Default_Time_format=24
    Default_today_date_format="%F"
    Default_minimum_fetch_time=870
    Default_main_url="http://www.wunderground.com/global/stations/"
    Default_xml_url="http://api.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXCurrentObXML.asp?ID="
    Default_net_connect="on"
    Default_show_short_cond_text=0
    Default_show_lowercase_ampm=1
    Default_show_degsym_fc_temp=0
    This is now from the final 0.7.4 - now you realise why you will get metric values

Important - if you do not set a value to a config file variable - conkywx will use default value - so always have some value set to a config file variable.

I am now on the final release cycle so loads of documentation update - the wiki is updated man pages done nearly and now the builds

The above list also gives you new stuff in the config file

Talking Re: HOWTO: VinDSL Conky Script

Quote Originally Posted by foodoo View Post
    Hi Paramvir,
    one cosmetic point i can't explain is when using the SI data set to 2, i did have a C after most of the temps and ° symbol but now i only get the ° symbol but it should look like this °C.
    The two things that have this is the main temp (the big one) and the feels like temp.
    ------------------
    Thanks for nice comment about my desktop cheers Sean
    hmmmm just imagine how much Beer can motivate

As you have seen my reply to Vin - will get 0.7.4 out this evening...

see Dresden shining with Lara Croft

http://en.zimagez.com/zimage/screenshot-09192012.php

looks alright - have new options so we wont have to touch the code to get the deg symbol after all.

I am using compiz with xfce 4.10

lets see if you have these issues resolved in the new release

cheers

Page 34 of 287 FirstFirst ... 2432333435364484134 ... LastLast