Page 3 of 287 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: VinDSL Conky Script

Beans

Re: HOWTO: VinDSL Conky Script

Quote Originally Posted by davesbrain View Post
    GREAT STUFF! Been having fun learning this. Couple small things though.
    First, the lua background is going off the bottom of the screen. Is there a way I can 'set' height & width to conform to my particular conky? I've omitted a couple sections like weather to save on space.
    I'm using Lucid 10.04 1024 x 768. Conky version 1.80.
    Code:
    -- Tweaks the height of your background, in pixels. If you don't need to adjust the height, use 0.

--	(Default Setting)
    --	local vindsl_hack_height = 0

local vindsl_hack_height = -206
    Find this segment of code in the draw_bg lua to change the height... my resolution is 1366 x 768 so "-206" should bring the bg to the bottom of your screen. As far as the flicker goes, someone else will have to help you with that one! Happy tweaking!

Beans

Follow up: I think the original problem was having space below the code in the conkyrc. Also, terminal is spitting this out:
    Conky: llua_do_call: function conky_draw_bg execution failed: attempt to call a nil value
    I would like to leave some space at bottom of desktop as my AWN is pretty wide.

Beans

Is the lua file in the correct location? I'm not much of a programmer but it sounds to me like its in the wrong spot. You should have it situated in /home/.conky ... I might just be stating the obvious and there is a deeper problem but I'm just throwing it out there

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Gmasterhyde View Post
    Is the lua file in the correct location? I'm not much of a programmer but it sounds to me like its in the wrong spot. You should have it situated in /home/.conky ... I might just be stating the obvious and there is a deeper problem but I'm just throwing it out there
    No. It should be in ~/Conky, aka /home/username/(Wherever you put your Conky Files)

As I said in the introduction, read the scripts. All your answers are there in the comments of the scripts. Chances are the flickering is a problem with the nil value. Change the height of the background to fit your screen and chances are that "Nil Value" will go away. Otherwise, the terminal output will tend to tell you what LINE of the script has the nil value. But, that's after you check to see if it's still doing it after you change the height of the background.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by 42dorian View Post
    No. It should be in ~/Conky, aka /home/username/(Wherever you put your Conky Files)
    Thanks for correcting me on that one! Still learning

Beans

Sir'
    THANKS FOR THE INST SHEETS! Just printed them for my use in my studies. (LOL)
    I am 70 and sometimes slow on the pick up but have learned a lot and as I reread it I learn more. I have a few questions the don't seem to be answered in the book though.
    1 Just how do you down load the fonts into the /home/archie/fonts when I have them downloaded into the sys somewhere by updating the ppa suggested?

2 Can I just install the sections into my conky config section by section or do they have to be in any order?

3 I do not have the 19" monitor but will try to acquire one (Haa) Have 11-10 and am in love with the screenshot in the book.

I think what I need, and haven't found yet is a basic step by step method on installing Conky. (Still looking!)

Thank you again.

ART
    k8fa.art@gmail.com

Beans

Sir'
    I am 70 and sometimes slow on the pick up but have learned a lot and as I reread it I learn more. I have a few questions the don't seem to be answered in the book though.
    1 Just how do you down load the fonts into the /home/archie/fonts when I have them downloaded into the sys somewhere by updating the ppa suggested?

2 Can I just install the sections into my conky config section by section or do they have to be in any order?

3 I do not have the 19" monitor but will try to acquire one (Haa) Have 11-10 and am in love with the screenshot in the book.

I think what I need, and haven't found yet is a basic step by step method on installing Conky. (Still looking!)

I am now doing the wearch for the wx fonts required and will attempt to put them into the /home/archie/fonts folder.

Thank you again.

ART
    k8fa.art@gmail.com

Beans

Sir'

Thank you again.

ART
    k8fa.art@gmail.com

Beans

Both lua scripts(I'm only using the bg and graphs ones) are here:
    /home/davejr/.conky

Beans

I think I got. Thanks for the help.
    Code:
    local vindsl_hack_height = -270