Page 89 of 193 FirstFirst ... 3979878889909199139189 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: VinDSL Conky Script

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: HOWTO: VinDSL Conky Script

The only downfall about having 5 Linux systems installed is that I have to login to each one to fix the conky. Some things are different between them but, hey it keeps me busy!

I was able to edit all of the config files on all of the other Ubuntu OSs. I had used this command to label my partitions: sudo tune2fs -L "Linux Mint" /dev/sda5 (which Drs305 showed me).
    But, since I put a space in the Mint partition I was unable to edit that one. So, I fixed it by labelling it Linux-Mint for the future.
    Last edited by Cavsfan; April 22nd, 2013 at 06:50 PM. Reason: Addes last 2 lines.
    Check Java Version | Install Java via WEB UPD8 PPA
    Creating a Custom Maintenance Free GRUB2 Screen Community Wiki
    Ubuntu 12.04 | 14.04 | 14.10 Mate | 15.04 Gnome | Mint 13 | Mint 17 | Windows 7 | All 64 bit

Cool Re: HOWTO: VinDSL Conky Script

Quote Originally Posted by Cavsfan View Post
    The only downfall about having 5 Linux systems installed is that I have to login to each one to fix the conky. Some things are different between them but, hey it keeps me busy!

I was able to edit all of the config files on all of the other Ubuntu OSs. I had used this command to label my partitions: sudo tune2fs -L "Linux Mint" /dev/sda5 (which Drs305 showed me).
    But, since I put a space in the Mint partition I was unable to edit that one. So, I fixed it by labelling it Linux-Mint for the future.
    Gmail has this Notification label which I have set to archive and Ubuntu Forum messages are also given this label automatically and I never get to see the messages unless I change the rules grrrrr - I shall fix that also he he

Interesting info about tune2fs - never actually used that - I also use labels - in fact all my drives work with labels rather than UID or direct location. I give the labels with gparted during creation - though I have about 7 OS on my virtualbox [so no labels here] which is running on my Arch Linux host. Even tried out ChromeOS - need to get that out and Ubuntu 9.10 from the list.

One does need to log in to those to do what ever... Oh and I installed Mate Mint 14 the other day - pretty interesting...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hey guys.

First off, AWESOME CONKY!

In regards to the conkywx portion, is it possible to also display any weather alerts (e.g. Tornado Watch/Warning, Severe Thunderstorm Watch/Warn) and maybe an image of the radar?

Quote Originally Posted by CypherSTL View Post
    Hey guys.

First off, AWESOME CONKY!

In regards to the conkywx portion, is it possible to also display any weather alerts (e.g. Tornado Watch/Warning, Severe Thunderstorm Watch/Warn) and maybe an image of the radar?
    That feature is not available in conkywx - haven't wrapped my mind around that yet

OK Have worked that Alert thingy out - by default - no user intervention - conkywx will show an alert if wunderground shows any Active Advisory for your location. This will be an "!" exclamation character before the present weather condition. Like it may show "! Overcast" or what ever.

There is also a new element WALERT which will show the actual advisory name like Flood Warning - which is in place for Mississippi area at present.

Now the actual text in that advisory is on another page - and can be quite extensive - and also the radar image - both are ignored by conkywx.

The basic idea is that you get fair warning that there is a weather phenomena which has a potential of messing with your daily life and that you should visit wunderground website to see the details.

In this image you see the same location with and without WALERT - I have used it along with present condition like [WALERT][CT]

I feel this should be fine
    Last edited by paramvir; May 6th, 2013 at 04:39 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by paramvir View Post
    The basic idea is that you get fair warning that there is a weather phenomena which has a potential of messing with your daily life and that you should visit wunderground website to see the details.[...]

I feel this should be fine
    ! Great idea

Is 0.9.1 or whatever coming down the pike?
    Intel ® P4 Extreme Edition 3.4 (Gallatin) || DFI ® LanParty PRO875B rev B1
    Crucial ® Ballistix Tracer PC4000 1GB || Mountain Mods U2-UFO Opti-1203
    XFX 7600GT 560M AGP (PV-T73A-UDF3) || Corsair HX520W Modular PSU

Quote Originally Posted by VinDSL View Post
    ! Great idea

Is 0.9.1 or whatever coming down the pike?
    ! Ha ha ha ha

Yess - it is just around the corner - though I am looking at a set of icons - perhaps I shall add them but let me see.

Beans
    Hidden!

Could something be done about the font layouts?
    I'm running OpenBox with a 88DPI setting. I can't seem to get the font and spacing correct unless I use 96DPI.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by os2 View Post
    Could something be done about the font layouts?
    I'm running OpenBox with a 88DPI setting. I can't seem to get the font and spacing correct unless I use 96DPI.
    Only the images are out - images have an absolute location - this is a conky thing - you need to just change the vertical component of the images - you notice the images do not change only the text shifts.

${image [D2I] -p 15,441.5 -s 40x40} - lets take this as an example - the option -p has horizontal,vertical components - you do not need to change the horizontal values just the vertical ones for the images - moon and forecast images.

First get your text the way you want and then fix moon and then the forecast images. Finally the background can be sorted out as well.

This should sort it out

cheers

Re Alerts have had those moments where you get that silly grin on your face

I wanted a way to show the Alert only if it existed and this is how I got it done.

PHP Code:
    ${font DejaVu Sans Mono:style=Bold:size=11}${color1}Present Condition${color3}${if_empty ${exec echo [WALERT]}}${else} Alert: ${color1}[WALERT]${endif} ${color4}${hr 2}${font
    This way I use existing real estate and show data only if it comes alive. The bottom images conkywx has the same code as the font conkywx for that line.

The spacing was also important as the data should look normal if no alert.

The [WALERT] element has a max field width of 20 characters - this helps in truncating long rambling stuff - most critical warning is always first - I have seen the US and European alerts.

Kewl
    Last edited by paramvir; May 8th, 2013 at 08:11 PM.

Page 89 of 193 FirstFirst ... 3979878889909199139189 ... LastLast