Page 59 of 245 FirstFirst ... 949575859606169109159 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: VinDSL Conky Script

Beans

Re: HOWTO: VinDSL Conky Script

Quote Originally Posted by paramvir View Post
    Everything is do-able.

I always look at forecast with a variance of 1 to 2 degrees - a forecast in meteorological terms is an educated estimate basis a statistical study of a huge volume of data for that particular period or time [ wow did I write that lol - you wont find that in any dictionary]

So unless you were the one who wrote that computer code to calculate the forecast - why would you want to know that difference.

Please humour me - I have spent this time to respond to you - as I wanted to see how would I code it - the logic etc - now if I can see the why - I would then like it in my templates as well.

But then I look at it like this - if I already know the answer - it is a given thing - why sit down and do the math - in a given forecast - day time temps vary by a degree or 2 in deg C while night time temps are usually closer. During the day - sun makes the difference. If there is cloud cover - temps will drop.

Oh do they give this on the TV ??? I do not have the time to see TV - 24 hours are toooo less for me
    I understand its not an exact science, but I was always curious of the accuracy of the forecasts, as well as the accuracy of the reporting stations. If this ends up at the bottom of your to-do lists I understand

I appreciate all you've put into it so far!

Talking Re: HOWTO: VinDSL Conky Script

Quote Originally Posted by dtokarz View Post
    I understand its not an exact science, but I was always curious of the accuracy of the forecasts, as well as the accuracy of the reporting stations. If this ends up at the bottom of your to-do lists I understand

Thanks - you are welcome - and your desire shall come into the queue

Beans

Hi, How do I disable the weather update messages from conkywx (1.7.8 )? In gnome shell the notifications persist and I should manually remove each of them. After a days use, message tray is full of this notifications.

It would be far better if notifications are only shown if there is status change (say if update failed for two or more time continously, only one message is shown).

Wink Re: HOWTO: VinDSL Conky Script

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.JJ View Post
    Hi, How do I disable the weather update messages from conkywx (1.7.8 )? In gnome shell the notifications persist and I should manually remove each of them. After a days use, message tray is full of this notifications.

It would be far better if notifications are only shown if there is status change (say if update failed for two or more time continously, only one message is shown).

Refer to the conkywx wiki or manual

change show_notification value to 0 in the conkywx config file conkywx.conf

cheers

Beans

That was obvious (once you said it), I wonder why I didn't check there first. Sorry, and a big Thank you.

Talking Re: HOWTO: VinDSL Conky Script

Quote Originally Posted by dtokarz View Post

Here is how things shall stand re Quality of service of forecast values

Forecast values are not for your area but generally for an airport generating hourly METAR reports.

For example Tampa FL has 4 airports of which one is used for their METAR reports and their reported forecasts as well. So one cannot compare those forecasts with your location temperatures.

On the bright side WU on it's own gives a statement how good are the forecasts ( good or excellent ) at the bottom on the forecast section on their web page.

Excellent Forecast Quality
    The forecast temperature is usually less than 1.5 degrees C warmer or cooler than the observed temperature.

Good Forecast Quality
    The forecast temperature is usually 1.5 to 2.5 degrees C warmer or cooler than the observed forecast.

The Element for this I have used is QOF [ quality of forecast ] which gives you output based on what they say good excellent or what ever

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by paramvir View Post
    Here is how things shall stand re Quality of service of forecast values

Forecast values are not for your area but generally for an airport generating hourly METAR reports.

For example Tampa FL has 4 airports of which one is used for their METAR reports and their reported forecasts as well. So one cannot compare those forecasts with your location temperatures.

On the bright side WU on it's own gives a statement how good are the forecasts ( good or excellent ) at the bottom on the forecast section on their web page.

Excellent Forecast Quality
    The forecast temperature is usually less than 1.5 degrees C warmer or cooler than the observed temperature.

Good Forecast Quality
    The forecast temperature is usually 1.5 to 2.5 degrees C warmer or cooler than the observed forecast.

The Element for this I have used is QOF [ quality of forecast ] which gives you output based on what they say good excellent or what ever
    Excellent research, Paramvir!

I will use this in my Conky script when this is published. Many thanks!

Beans

Why do we have conky own_window_type set to normal? This causes conky to disappear when pressing win+D (show desktop). When changed the value to 'desktop' conky is not hiding with win+D. Any specific reasons or is it just a preference?

Also, is it possible to have conky displayed even on overview (gnome)? I really like if conky acted as part of the background and is visible always. (for example, the wallpaper changer 'variety' has a desktop clock option that is diplayed even on overview).

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.JJ View Post
    Why do we have conky own_window_type set to normal? This causes conky to disappear when pressing win+D (show desktop). When changed the value to 'desktop' conky is not hiding with win+D. Any specific reasons or is it just a preference?

Also, is it possible to have conky displayed even on overview (gnome)? I really like if conky acted as part of the background and is visible always. (for example, the wallpaper changer 'variety' has a desktop clock option that is diplayed even on overview).
    For me with unity,
    Code:
    own_window_type desktop
    makes conky disappear when clicking the desktop.

When using
    Code:
    own_window_type normal
    you also need to use
    Code:
    own_window_hints undecorated,below,skip_taskbar,skip_pager,sticky
    to avoid minimizing on showing the desktop.
    May also need to uncheck
    ccsm > General options > Hide Skip Taskbar Windows.

From man conky...
    own_window_type
    if own_window is yes, you may specify type normal, desktop, dock, panel or override (default: normal). Desktop windows are special windows that have no window decorations; are always visible on your desktop; do not appear in your pager or taskbar; and are sticky across all workspaces. Panel windows reserve space along a desktop edge, just like panels and taskbars, preventing maximized windows from overlapping them. The edge is chosen based on the alignment option. Override windows are not under the control of the window manager. Hints are ignored. This type of window can be useful for certain situations.

own_window_hints undecorated,below,above,sticky,skip_taskbar,skip_p ager
    If own_window is yes, you may use these window manager hints to affect the way Conky displays. Notes: Use own_window_type desktop as another way to implement many of these hints implicitly. If you use own_window_type override, window manager hints have no meaning and are ignored.
    Last edited by stinkeye; October 19th, 2012 at 01:16 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by stinkeye View Post
    When using
    Code:
    own_window_type normal
    you also need to use
    Code:
    own_window_hints undecorated,below,skip_taskbar,skip_pager,sticky
    to avoid minimizing on showing the desktop.
    I do have the hints enabled, but with gnome, that do not seem to help.
    Quote Originally Posted by stinkeye View Post
    May also need to uncheck
    ccsm > General options > Hide Skip Taskbar Windows.
    No compiz,ccsm here, skipping the taskbar works fine by default in gnome. Only that I like to see conky in the background when in overview, but no luck till now.
    Last edited by Mr.JJ; October 19th, 2012 at 01:33 PM.

Page 59 of 245 FirstFirst ... 949575859606169109159 ... LastLast