Page 53 of 287 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563103153 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: VinDSL Conky Script

Beans

Re: HOWTO: VinDSL Conky Script

VinDSL,

Perfect... ! the layout is just very nicely done, compact, sensible and to the point, etc...

here is how I would change it, just a little bit
    - add station, measured time and updated time line somewhere at the top, like this
    KXBOCA M: 14:30pm U: 14:40pm
    - shorten sunrise and sunset to rise and set and add dd ( day duration )
    like this
    R: time S: time D: 12h 15m
    - remove barometer and replace with UV
    - remove bar trend and replace with new moon / full moon dates likes this
    NM 2 FM 30
    meaning new moon on 2nd full moon on 30th of the month or next month, just a date
    - remove CoR and put just xx% after H/L temp like this
    90/61 10% 87/60 14% 91/65 30%
    this will save one line for CoR

keep the rest as is, but anyway it's great the way it is...

Could you dump your rc, templetes, seds and whatever else files... so that
    we could all enjoy it ...

Thanks!

Talking Re: HOWTO: VinDSL Conky Script

OK - here are some ideas - what do you think ...

Now if you just type conkywx in terminal you get this screen.

1 - give you local copy of the wiki in your browser - completely offline
    2 and 3 will ask you for config file with option to use default

4 and 5 will ask you to confirm with YES

this will remove --help --forceupdate --debug --version

Rather than try and recall options we have like a menu

And if you think this is a good idea - would we want some other helpful options as well ???

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by hallansing View Post
    Perfect... ! the layout is just very nicely done, compact, sensible and to the point, etc... here is how I would change it, just a little bit [...]

Could you dump your rc, templetes, seds and whatever else files... so that we could all enjoy it ...
    Sorry, for the slow reply. I've been on the trot...

Thanks, for the kind words, and suggestions!

I'm still trying to put a package together.

The stickler, right now, are the paths.

Speaking of which...

Quote Originally Posted by paramvir View Post
    OK - here are some ideas - what do you think ...

Great concept!

I've been mulling over the best location for the custom user files.

I've been putting them in ~/usr & ~/etc, but I don't think these are the best places for them, since you need root auth to tweak them.

I think Bill had the best idea... putting them in ~/home/username/.config/conkywx/ or whatever, and it looks like you're leaning in that direction too, judging by your second screenie.

I'll go back through this thread and see where Bill is putting them, and adjust my script accordingly.

Last time I tried moving the custom files to a different location, it didn't work too well, but I did this early-on, and wasn't quite sure how Conkywx handles such things. So, probably operator error.

Anyway, I like your idea(s) just fine. Go for it!
    Intel ® P4 Extreme Edition 3.4 (Gallatin) || DFI ® LanParty PRO875B rev B1
    Crucial ® Ballistix Tracer PC4000 1GB || Mountain Mods U2-UFO Opti-1203
    XFX 7600GT 560M AGP (PV-T73A-UDF3) || Corsair HX520W Modular PSU

Beans
    Distro

@ Paramvir: Thoguht I should mention this...

Since I've been using XML data, the wind speed occasionally displays "0.0 mph", with various wind direction indicated, e.g. sometimes from the north, sometimes from the south, et cetera.

It just happened again. I disabled XML data and used "Location" only (same PWS). Now it's displaying "Calm" with an empty wind direction indicator.

Wonder if this might be a bug

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

what command are you using to get the info to conky, also does it support the json format?
    i don't mind making a script to run in the middle
    and what is the desired direction for no wind
    Laptop: ASUS A54C-NB91 (Storage: WD3200BEKT + MKNSSDCR60GB-DX); Desktop: Custom Build - Images included; rPi Server
    Putting your Networked Printer's scanner software to shame PHP Scanner Server
    I frequently edit my post when I have the last post

Quote Originally Posted by VinDSL View Post
    @ Paramvir: Thoguht I should mention this...

Since I've been using XML data, the wind speed occasionally displays "0.0 mph", with various wind direction indicated, e.g. sometimes from the north, sometimes from the south, et cetera.

It just happened again. I disabled XML data and used "Location" only (same PWS). Now it's displaying "Calm" with an empty wind direction indicator.

Wonder if this might be a bug
    Actually it is not a bug - it is the way xml gives data - it does not know calm - that is done by the good folks at WU. xml data is raw data.

But the issue is that sometime you may have wind speed at 0 but wind may occasionally gust as well.

For wind direction - you will have the last direction of the wind and xml passes it through - but it has no meaning - unless the wind is gusting.

Without getting into the technicalities - which are many - we can safely say that if the wind and gust are zero then it is Calm and direction can then be said to be null. That is not to say you will not get 0 wind if it is gusting. Gusting essentially is a derivative of wind turbulence due to land and buildings - is unpredictable but calculated as an average peak above a threshold.

Like at present I have both values zero and direction NW - it is like looking at an instrument really - the instrument wont be able to show null but the last direction it stopped pointing at.

Basically information being presented as it is delivered.

Solution:
    we use Location for a while and see if it is Calm then do they show wind gust. frequency of update will also need to be checked.

Ok I switched to the Location only and it is calm with both gust and direction as N/A

So I think that is the way if both are zero - it is Calm.

Actually it is funny they only reference the 1st item on the Wind Reference chart which has wind in Knots [nautical term] what about the other 11 scales like light breeze etc

Just my thoughts on Wind he he

Regarding location of your vinDSL script - you could make a directory in .config/conkywx/vinDSL and store all your relevant data there like I am using a directory called conkywx_internal - it is there in the new version - you do not see it yet - and still leave the conkywx.conf file at .config/conkywx so you do not need to define the config as well - just a thought [again]

and will go ahead with the menu thingy

@vinDSL

Another point you only have wind speed in your template - no gust info - like i have ws=0 wg=3.2 wdir=NE

So which ever way I program it - [ I have done the code already ] - you will get ws=0 wdir=NE as it is still gusting from NE

Should we get rid of calm and use 0.0 instead ?

The benefit of using xml is huge since Fed or Govt station are mostly non Rapid-Fire and update at irregular intervals - you may not get an update for some time - unless of course if your Location is from Rapid Fire station - but WU switches around.

What are your thoughts
    Last edited by paramvir; October 10th, 2012 at 05:56 AM.

@vinDSL

Huuaaaahhhahaha

OK Fixed it!!!

The theory behind this is that since gusts are a function of wind and topography [ land buildings etc] it generally does not have a set direction and your wind vane will swing around - so we can safely ignore the direction for a gust.

Simple you can keep Calm [in your template] and I have coded such that if wind is zero - direction becomes N/A and wind shows Calm - it may gust to eternity.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by paramvir View Post
    @vinDSL

Huuaaaahhhahaha

OK Fixed it!!!

The theory behind this is that since gusts are a function of wind and topography [ land buildings etc] it generally does not have a set direction and your wind vane will swing around - so we can safely ignore the direction for a gust.

Simple you can keep Calm [in your template] and I have coded such that if wind is zero - direction becomes N/A and wind shows Calm - it may gust to eternity.
    Excellent! Thanks for the detailed explanation.

For consistency, it seems you would want "0.0 mph"/"Calm" to remain the same, regardless of whether the data feed is XML or HTTP based. Everything else displays the same way, when you switch back n' forth. I didn't realize there was a difference in the raw data, and thus, wind speed/direction was subject to reinterpretation by the proggie, based on wind gusts.

Add to that, the confusion of having variable gusts displayed with an absolute direction arrow, instead of a variable direction indicator, e.g. the semi-circle arrow.

That's why I was wondering if it might a bug -- but wasn't sure. On face value, it seemed that wind speed/direction should display the same -- either "0.0 mph" or "Calm" -- regardless of the form factor of the feed.

Anyway, sounds like you nailed that one down.

Great job, as usual!

Smile Re: HOWTO: VinDSL Conky Script

Quote Originally Posted by VinDSL View Post
    Excellent! Thanks for the detailed explanation.
    Add to that, the confusion of having variable gusts displayed with an absolute direction arrow, instead of a variable direction indicator, e.g. the semi-circle arrow.

Anyway, sounds like you nailed that one down.

Great job, as usual!
    Thanks

But you know we have this mind of ours - and another light bulb just went on.

Since gusts have generally variable wind direction - then instead of showing "N/A" - if it is Calm and gusting - the wind can be shown as variable and if not then N/A - that way if you do not show gusts - you will still make out from the wind arrow that even though it is Calm - it is gusting around.

What say ???

xml is raw data - we need to be able to interpret it like the weather man and this brings out the same output - what ever the source like you mentioned.

Page 53 of 287 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563103153 ... LastLast