Page 43 of 287 FirstFirst ... 3341424344455393143 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: VinDSL Conky Script

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome

Re: HOWTO: VinDSL Conky Script

Hi Cvetan,

The problem i have found is that it's not always there, i think it just depends on that actual weather station! some have a number and some have an xml ID so you sort of have to combine a local station number with a different local station that uses an xml ID to get conky to display the correct info!

my example:
    I live in Dresden Germany, so when i call up Dresden it shows only 10488 which is the station at the Airport but no xml ID so i sniff around the other local stations until i find one that uses an xml ID like ISACHSEN18 or even ISACHSEN37 like Paramvir suggested that's the only one with the rapid updates on my area.

so my config looks like this:
    xml_ID=ISACHSEN37
    Location=10488

This is only my thinking but i could be totally wrong but i think other users will come across this problem too.

by the way did you see my post about the vindsl template and the sed call-up ?

Sean

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Ok but where is it displayed if it has xml id?

Talking Re: HOWTO: VinDSL Conky Script

Quote Originally Posted by foodoo View Post
    Hi Cvetan,

The problem i have found is that it's not always there, i think it just depends on that actual weather station! some have a number and some have an xml ID so you sort of have to combine a local station number with a different local station that uses an xml ID to get conky to display the correct info!

my example:
    I live in Dresden Germany, so when i call up Dresden it shows only 10488 which is the station at the Airport but no xml ID so i sniff around the other local stations until i find one that uses an xml ID like ISACHSEN18 or even ISACHSEN37 like Paramvir suggested that's the only one with the rapid updates on my area.

so my config looks like this:
    xml_ID=ISACHSEN37
    Location=10488

This is only my thinking but i could be totally wrong but i think other users will come across this problem too.

by the way did you see my post about the vindsl template and the sed call-up ?

Sean
    OK - here is a screenshot for Dresden - bottom of the screen

This is from the bottom of the page - the mouse over gives you the URL and see the ID=ISACHSEN37. This is how you find the xml_ID for the xml station.

So for any other location you visit - scroll down to the bottom os that web page to see if there are any Private or any other weather stations located near you.

You can also use http://www.wunderground.com/wundermap/ and enter your location to see on a map other xml stations close to you.

Hope this helps
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by paramvir; September 29th, 2012 at 03:31 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome

Hi Cvetan,

There is a button called "station select" click on this to show a list of "other nearby stations", click on one of these stations to display the weather and then click on the station name to the left in blue then you should see if it's got an xml-ID

Here some screenies to show what i did:

Sean

Beans
    Distro

There is no xml for my city. Belgrade, Serbia.

Thanks for the replies.

It works just fine and without xml.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome

Hi Paramvir,

Thanks that looks really easy now the penny has dropped i can see that most if not all the private stations use xml but the Airports don't, that's where my confusion is coming from!
    Do you think i should put this info in the main post for instructions ?
    if so i will do it later cause i'm messing with my sun-moon phase plotter @ the moment.
    I'm using Accuweather script to call the next sunrise and moon-rise times but i am thinking of changing the call-up to conkywx instead.
    The sad thing is that the sunset and moon-set times are called within the main .Lua script and are not accurate enough even though the entire data table is called from a US Navy institute.

The script was written by MrPeachy from the conky crunchbang forums, i find it quite interesting, I would like to scale it down to fit in the bottom of the vindsl scritp just for fun maybe one day.

here's a little screenie

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome

Hi Cvetan,

you didn't look hard enough i found this for you and it's a rapid update station!
    Misa, Pancevo xml ID "IVOJVODI5"

now hows that ?
    Last edited by foodoo; September 29th, 2012 at 03:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cvetan View Post
    There is no xml for my city. Belgrade, Serbia.

Thanks for the replies.

It works just fine and without xml.
    You have to understand how weather works - weather has no boundaries or city limits

I can see you have 2 xml stations on your page Belgrade, Serbia - Misa is rapid fire - just 10 to 15 km from Belgrade at the pointer.

But if where you live has mountains blocking wind etc - then your weather as it is will be weird - I remember a case of a person in Italy had that case. You are the best judge - we can assist - we are patient.

xml_ID=IVOJVODI5 for Misa

IF you choose to test this ID - remember you still need the Location set as you have it at present.

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by foodoo View Post
    Hi Paramvir,

Thanks that looks really easy now the penny has dropped i can see that most if not all the private stations use xml but the Airports don't, that's where my confusion is coming from!
    Do you think i should put this info in the main post for instructions ?
    if so i will do it later cause i'm messing with my sun-moon phase plotter @ the moment.
    I'm using Accuweather script to call the next sunrise and moon-rise times but i am thinking of changing the call-up to conkywx instead.
    The sad thing is that the sunset and moon-set times are called within the main .Lua script and are not accurate enough even though the entire data table is called from a US Navy institute.

The script was written by MrPeachy from the conky crunchbang forums, i find it quite interesting, I would like to scale it down to fit in the bottom of the vindsl scritp just for fun maybe one day.

here's a little screenie
    Hey we are tuning pretty well - similar posts he he we NEED to have some Bier together

Generally if you notice main Locations are airports - since weather information is on public domain - but then they do not update frequently - on an average an hour or so but sometime 3 to 6 hourly.

Private weather stations are not dependent on manual measurements and automatically upload data every few seconds or minutes.

Govt data for civilian use is not necessarily accurate if it is out by 30 min - that is a lot.

Do you need that graphic - if not - dump it - you have good data from wunderground. I would like to have a program that shows planets relative to earth - sun moon mars etc lol - that would be nice. maybe I write that someday

Astro times are all available for your use - I am not familiar with lua but yes you can use data from conkywx - let me know how tyou want it - anyway it is there in your existing vinDSL templates

cheers

Beans
    Distro

Pancevo is a different city. It is in Vojvodina, and is not 10, 15 km far from Belgrade. It is a little more. And the station i am using now is practically my neighborhood.

Page 43 of 287 FirstFirst ... 3341424344455393143 ... LastLast