Page 30 of 179 FirstFirst ... 2028293031324080130 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: VinDSL Conky Script

Re: HOWTO: VinDSL Conky Script

Quote Originally Posted by VinDSL View Post
    Heh! I just cannot leave things alone.

"-t" worked all day, but I installed a new kernel, and "-t" didn't survive a reboot.

So, I'm back to "-c", as you and Bill suggested.

Glad you had some time away from the keyboard. I love F1 cars! Must have been fun driving on a circuit made for them.

Here's my "F1" ('98 Honda Civic with a '99 B16A2 swap) LoL!
    WOW - I had a 2009 civic with that digital dash board ummmm very low profile - had problems with speed breaker humps though.

now am driving a Mahindra Scorpio VLX SUV - totally a killer

you cannot swap -t with -c as they are handled differently.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by sparker256 View Post
    WoW! 8 cores, and a fitting background.

Good job! Thanks for your help...
    Intel ® P4 Extreme Edition 3.4 (Gallatin) || DFI ® LanParty PRO875B rev B1
    Crucial ® Ballistix Tracer PC4000 1GB || Mountain Mods U2-UFO Opti-1203
    XFX 7600GT 560M AGP (PV-T73A-UDF3) || Corsair HX520W Modular PSU

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by paramvir View Post
    WOW - I had a 2009 civic with that digital dash board ummmm very low profile - had problems with speed breaker humps though.
    I know the feeling!

It's hard to tell from the pic, but make a fist -- That's how much clearance there is under the front lip.

I have to go sideways, and inch-over speed bumps. Dittos for entering/leaving parking lots, especially over sidewalks. LoL!

you cannot swap -t with -c as they are handled differently.
    Yes, I eventually found that out.

I don't know why "-t" worked all day, and "-c" didn't, but the condition reversed itself, following a reboot.

Do you have an opinion on using the Conky templateN command?

I'm using it to turn the "-c" & "-t" paths into objects, but it leaves a lot to be desired. I was hoping it would act more like an include.

It seems to work okay, but it's brittle, and easily broken.

Heh! I'm answering my own question, aren't I ?!?!?

Anyway, any thoughts on using ${templateN} ?
    Last edited by VinDSL; September 17th, 2012 at 09:05 AM. Reason: Addendum

Quote Originally Posted by VinDSL View Post
    I know the feeling!

It's hard to tell from the pic, but make a fist -- That's how much clearance there is under the front lip.

I have to go sideways, and inch-over speed bumps. Dittos for entering/leaving parking lots, especially over sidewalks. LoL!
    That was a major issue with me - I had the front bumper nearly drop off - sometimes those speed bumps are made into the rode and are really high!!!

Yes, I eventually found that out.

I don't know why "-t" worked all day, and "-c" didn't, but the condition reversed itself, following a reboot.
    It is a single read of the whole command line so to speak. if it finds a -c then the following text is treated as a config file and similarly if it finds -t the following text is a template.

So if you have -t two times on the same line - then the last -t it reads is the one executed.

If you do not have a config file with a -c given then config file at /etc/conkywx/conkywx.conf is used - so -t is never read as a config file.

Do you have an opinion on using the Conky templateN command?

I'm using it to turn the "-c" & "-t" paths into objects, but it leaves a lot to be desired. I was hoping it would act more like an include.

It seems to work okay, but it's brittle, and easily broken.

Heh! I'm answering my own question, aren't I ?!?!?

Anyway, any thoughts on using ${templateN} ?
    I think once you have understood the under workings of conkywx you will not have problems with conky templateN thing. the only problem I had was when I tried to use it with images. ImLib2 throws a warning as conky does not translate the templateN properly in this case and one has to use full path without " character - $HOME seems to work but nothing else you try with export statement etc.

Talking Re: HOWTO: VinDSL Conky Script

Quote Originally Posted by foodoo View Post
    Hi Paramvir,
    I have tried everything i could think of but still not joy.
    Hi there

Your log file is spot on and fine.
    If you use the supplied examples - your conkywx will display information.

Then work it back to vinDSL templates and you will see what is the problem.

cheers

Beans
    Distro

Sorry, in advance, for the diatribe. I *feel* like putting my thoughts on "paper"...

I think once you have understood the under workings of conkywx you will not have problems with conky templateN thing. the only problem I had was when I tried to use it with images.
    Yes, that's the point I'm at, right now -- trying to understand the underpinnings i.e. the effects of combining Conky with Conkywx, e.g. specifically, how the (optional) paths are handled.

I'm trying to figure out, and pattern, why changes to the paths aren't applied immediately, using "normal" wash, rinse and restyle techniques.

I've had the best "luck" using:
    • killall conky
    • Editing the path(s)
    • Wiping the Conkywx /tmp entries
    • Perform a cold-boot

Even this technique doesn't work every time. Sometimes, changes to the paths are recognized, but Conkywx fails to fetch the data. Or, Conkywx initially fetches the data on a cold-boot, but not thereafter. And, sometimes it works fine, regardless of what I do -- even mis-configuring it using "-t" for the conf file, instead of "-c".

I've been using every possible permutation, over the past two days, and there doesn't seem to be a recognizable pattern to any of this.

I *suspect* Conky is writing something to the file system somewhere, and it's surviving a "Power Down".

I ran across a discussion, which was enlightening, if you can believe the source.

SOURCE: http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/f...it=Change+View

Where does Conky store its data?

I'm interested in using Conky on some of my lab servers, to help identify memory and performance issues. They are all embedded systems, so we have certain constraints. Our base file system is read-only, with a writable union on top. That writable union is on a RAM disk, so any data storage on it would affect our memory readouts.

Q: Where and how does Conky store its information? Is it only a memory snapshot, or does it write out to a file?

A: Besides the config file, Conky does not require any disk space (everything is in memory). However, you can add things to the configuration that will cause Conky to create files if you want (exec*, texeci, and lua are very flexible). If your goal is to avoid creating files, it should be easy to achieve.

Q: Is it expected that Conky would grow in memory over time, as it accumulates more data? Or will the memory foot print remain relatively stable?

If we are trying to detect if the system as a whole is consuming more and more memory, Conky might confuse our results.

A: It should not grow over time unless you do something silly in your configuration.
    The way I'm reading this is; Normally, Conky places everything in memory, which obviously wouldn't survive a cold-boot. However, when you use exec*, texeci, lua, et cetera, Conky writes this data to disk.

This makes sense on several levels. For instance, we all know how exec*, texeci, lua, and so forth are "memory hogs". But, the way we are using them, they also have a time-to-live component. In my experience, "timers" are generally written to disk, to avoid being wiped from memory during "garbage collection".

Ever see the Truman Capote movie "In Cold Blood"? Two recently released ex-cons senselessly kill a whole family. The cops do a massive manhunt, but keep overlooking these two murders, because neither of them fit a "pattern". Bottom line: The two ex-cons, working together, formed a third personality. Neither one would have committed the heinous crime, on their own. However, combining their personalities created a monster -- a third, invisible personality that the cops weren't trained to recognize -- a combination of two seemingly benign personalities, working in tandem.

Back on topic...

I have a *gut feeling* the combination of Conky or Conkywx has created a "third personality".

I *think* something is being stored on the file system, somewhere -- It's surviving a cold-boot -- and, it's making it difficult to immediately apply optional paths to templates, and the conf file.

This is fun! It's like picking "fly specks" out of pepper.

Don't get the wrong idea. Not complaining -- just sharing some observations!

Conky/Conkywx worked fine, until I started playing with the paths. Now, they're wearing pentagrams around their necks.
    Last edited by VinDSL; September 18th, 2012 at 03:07 AM. Reason: Typo Demon Strikes Again

Beans
    Distro

I have also not been able to get a fetch to work today no mater what I have tried. I have added this to the weather templete to try to help.
    Code:
    ${voffset 6}${font Ubuntu:bold:size=8.75}${color9}${alignc}~ Fetched @[LF] ~ Updated @[LU] ~${font}
    also using this comand will also not update the fetch of update time but the update message does show.
    Code:
    conkywx -c ~/.conky/weather/conkywx.conf -f
    Have found that the following commands will update but this needs to be done automatically.

in terminal.

killall conky

conky

Bill
    Last edited by sparker256; September 18th, 2012 at 01:09 AM.
    LINUX Flight Simulator Machine - AMD 8-Core FX-8350 - Antec KUHLER H2O 920 - 32G Ram - Nvidia GeForce GTX 680 PCI/Express 4096 MB - Driver Version 310.14 - Asus VE278 - Ubuntu 64 bit 12.04 - 12.10 - 13.04 - 13.10 - 14.04 - X-Plane 10.25b1

Beans
    Distro

Hi Bill,
    I think you provided another piece of the puzzle.

Check this out...

A little explanation, of what you're looking at...

I cold-booted @ 6:45pm. Conkywx fetched the wunderground data and life was beautiful. All of the files in /tmp bore that timestamp.

I used your "force" update @ 7:09pm. Everything updated, except the forecast_trends. See its timestamp.

At 7:15pm, while I was gazing at the /tmp folder, Conkywx did an update. This time, four documents were not updated. A notification never popped up, and Conky (Last Fetch is in red) didn't change.

Odd behavior, to be sure!

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by sparker256 View Post
    Have found that the following commands will update but this needs to be done automatically.

in terminal.

killall conky

conky
    Cute!

This works good, on my ancient iron PC

Code:
    killall conky && conkywx -c ~/.conky/weather/conkywx.conf -f && conky

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Shoot, I'm a Ubuntu noob, but this isn't making sense to me. I just did a file system search for conkywx.conf and the only one ubuntu found was in /usr/share/conkywx/examples. I know for a fact that I have a conkywx.conf in ~/.conky/weather/ as I am looking at it right now.

Btw, my conkywx has been 'fetching' just fine all day with the exception of the 'forecast trends' file.

This make sense to anyone?

Page 30 of 179 FirstFirst ... 2028293031324080130 ... LastLast