Page 19 of 287 FirstFirst ... 917181920212969119 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: VinDSL Conky Script

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: HOWTO: VinDSL Conky Script

Quote Originally Posted by 42dorian View Post
    The more clutter, the more difficult this guide is to use for newer users. We're going for simple, direct efficiency.
    True!

I authored the following module (seemingly) ages ago: Hex Colors v3 by VinDSL

I couldn't find a color guide that served my purpose(s), so I made my own. LoL!

Anyway, that makes source #3, so let's drop it...
    Intel ® P4 Extreme Edition 3.4 (Gallatin) || DFI ® LanParty PRO875B rev B1
    Crucial ® Ballistix Tracer PC4000 1GB || Mountain Mods U2-UFO Opti-1203
    XFX 7600GT 560M AGP (PV-T73A-UDF3) || Corsair HX520W Modular PSU

Beans

UPDATE: 05/20/2012

Someone reminded me to tell people to use Code Tags when asking for help in the Big Conky Thread. Problem solved. When asking for help in the Conky Thread, it makes it easier on all the pros to edit your code straight in the thread instead of having to download it, change it, and re-post it to you. If you make it easier, you get more people willing to help you through the process.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Just to say many thanks for the effort and time put into this. Fairly new to linux and following this guide through I was pleased to see just how well it worked for me 'out of the box'. Its got me upto speed on a lot of other general Ubuntu tasks and procedures too. As you say if in doubt go back and read through everything.

One small query if I may that i'm just asking here as i'm not sure if its this script related? In System section where it shows CPU information is the "freq_g cpu0" instruction the same process used for all CPUs? Only I have a 2.60ghz Core 2 duo E7400 and my conky displays as 1.60ghz and then every once in a while will change to 2.6ghz and change back again?

Just after a lead as to if its something in the conky, something up with Ubuntu (it shows ok under details), or if my CPU is likely on the fritz and I shall go off and seek further help in a different thread.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by TheYetiWakes View Post
    Just to say many thanks for the effort and time put into this. Fairly new to linux and following this guide through I was pleased to see just how well it worked for me 'out of the box'. Its got me upto speed on a lot of other general Ubuntu tasks and procedures too. As you say if in doubt go back and read through everything.

One small query if I may that i'm just asking here as i'm not sure if its this script related? In System section where it shows CPU information is the "freq_g cpu0" instruction the same process used for all CPUs? Only I have a 2.60ghz Core 2 duo E7400 and my conky displays as 1.60ghz and then every once in a while will change to 2.6ghz and change back again?

Just after a lead as to if its something in the conky, something up with Ubuntu (it shows ok under details), or if my CPU is likely on the fritz and I shall go off and seek further help in a different thread.
    I do cover that in the HowTo. Go back and check out the CPU section where I talk about CPU Throttling. It comes in many, many forms. It does sound like your system is tweaking the speed depending on power saving modes. This can be wrong, of course. Since all you've said is the CPU model. I do suggest you go get some help disabling CPU Throttling. What your system will call that will differ. But, in every case, it's a power saving feature. Either your BIOS will be able to disable it, or your OS. How to do that is for another thread though.

Beans

UPDATE: 05/29/2012

Updated the HowTo with regards to the Gnome-Keyring bug, as well as the problems with Conky 1.8.1-6. I've been putting off doing this because, to be honest here, I have kind of wanted the problem to resolve itself with updates. Since there hasn't been any, I figured it is about time to address it so the questions don't pop up anywhere. I know from experience, if there isn't a central place that tells people what to do, the questions pop up and they just don't go away until someone puts a solution out. And that slows everything down.
    Last edited by 42dorian; June 16th, 2012 at 01:41 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Where can i get the files needed for this conky? I mean on lua scripts and conkyrc?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Cvetan View Post
    Where can i get the files needed for this conky? I mean on lua scripts and conkyrc?
    Read the first post, in it's entirety. It directs you to where to get the files and how to use them.

Beans

VinDSL & 42dorian,

Just wanted to say excellent scripts and HowTo.
    If people would read the WHOLE first post it really takes no time to get up to speed.

VinDSL
    The 'trick' is to not get carried away - like waking up in the middle of the night and tweaking your Conky script, because something occurred to you in your dreams.
    I'm glad it's not just me!

Joe
    Screenshot.jpg

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by jterket View Post
    Just wanted to say excellent scripts and HowTo.

If people would read the WHOLE first post it really takes no time to get up to speed. [...]
    Thanks!

42dorian's most excellent HOWTO is magical, isn't it?

My script(s) simply offer a working example of the principles he's trying to convey.

He's dissected my code like a well-designed laboratory experiment. LoL!

It's rather unique -- I dare say -- The best Conky Tutorial on the web!
    Last edited by VinDSL; June 16th, 2012 at 12:17 AM. Reason: Addendum
    Intel ® P4 Extreme Edition 3.4 (Gallatin) || DFI ® LanParty PRO875B rev B1
    Crucial ® Ballistix Tracer PC4000 1GB || Mountain Mods U2-UFO Opti-1203
    XFX 7600GT 560M AGP (PV-T73A-UDF3) || Corsair HX520W Modular PSU

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by VinDSL View Post
    Thanks!

42dorian's most excellent HOWTO is magical, isn't it?

My script(s) simply offer a working example of the principles he's trying to convey.

He's dissected my code like a well-designed laboratory experiment. LoL!

It's rather unique -- I dare say -- The best Conky Tutorial on the web!
    Let's be honest about this, shall we? YOU, Vin, designed something that was overwhelmingly popular to people who don't want to program or design for themselves.

These said people come in, especially from the Ubuntu world of "Linux made easy", see your work, and want to get it running. When they copy and paste your work, the fundamental understanding of their own systems is lacking to such a degree that they BELIEVE it's broken because it doesn't look identical to your screenshot.

This is not helped by your bizarre font size choices (Half point sizes? Decimal point sizes? REALLY?) which, I might add, you've never explained to any degree. Also hurting the cause, you insist on experimenting with things "Because it's there" rather than "Because it's efficient"... Not helpful. And, third strike against the situation... You stopped servicing people's questions about getting it running. That part, I understand, it's overwhelming.

But, when every other post in the Conky Community thread is "I have a version of VinDSL's Conky... It's Broken... Fix it For Me." this is ALSO frustration incarnate. It's hard to be a "Community" of Conky users, discussing and experimenting with the display and design aspects when all we do is get the same Conky running for everyone. Since there's no real Tech Support for Conky, there's a million questions to be asked, and no one is even remotely targeting the user's problems with solutions in any organised way.

The truth here, and it's the whole truth, is that I was sick of answering these questions from new users so many times without being able to point them to anywhere that can genuinely HELP them. To all of the rest of you reading this, VinDSL really is a nice guy with a really twisted sense of humour when you talk to him. He's weird as hell, and brilliant at designing things. I RESPECT the popularity of his code, and I LIKE him as a person. His code itself, it's layout, and those little quirks (Decimal Point Fonts! MY GOD WHAT GOOD ARE THEY? THEY MAKE NO DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THEM AND THE NEXT WHOLE NUMBER UP! AND USE A STANDARD WEATHER CODE SYSTEM ALREADY! PURPOSELY BEING DIFFICULT!) bugs the living SNOT out of me. I don't use his code myself, I've just been staring at it so much in the past year or two that SOMEBODY with some technical background had to save the Community from being inundated with MORE VinDSL questions.

So, there you go. I like the guy, not the code, and got frustrated at obvious questions that were being asked without any proper answers coming up. It's not some miracle, I'm not the salvation of all. It's a necessary evil to get people over the hump of copying his code, and onto the path of changing it to suit their individual tastes. It weeds out the people too lazy to design for themselves from the people who will come back to the Conky world with new designs and ideas for the rest of us. There's still not a suitable Tech Support structure in place for the rest of Conky, and no one takes it seriously enough to start it. But, I did take a part the most popular source for Conky and put it together so people can at least stop saying they know nothing and are afraid of everything. Everything beyond that is in the realm of personal opinion and speculation.

I did this to help people. It doesn't cover some important things, and the Big Conky Thread is over 2000 pages long now. Chances of being able to use it as a suitable reference for anything is long since dead. And, as the metaphor goes, "In the Land of the Blind, the One-Eyed Man is King." This thread is a direct application of understanding only the most popular setup in the Conky Community. If it's considered "The Best source on the Internet", then it's only because there aren't any others written to be practical applications. It doesn't cover some important things to the Conky world, so it is severely lacking in completeness. I still catch hell from other Conky experts because I wrote this. This has, by no means, been "Fun" to do.

Page 19 of 287 FirstFirst ... 917181920212969119 ... LastLast