Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Natty dual boot on separate hard drives

Beans

Re: Natty dual boot on separate hard drives

FWIW, rEFIt is primarily a GUI boot loader (see the screen shot on its Web page). It tends to pick up video glitches (text-mode error messages over the GUI) when run on UEFI-based machines (vs. EFI-based Macs), though -- or maybe that's the version that's distributed with Ubuntu. Thus, you can use rEFIt in conjunction with a short timeout period on GRUB or ELILO to boot into Linux with minimal text-mode displays. The rEFIt glitches could be an issue, though.
    If I've suggested a solution to a problem and you're not the original poster, do not try my solution! Problems can seem similar but be different, and a good solution to one problem can make another worse. Post a new thread with your problem details.

Beans

Re: Natty dual boot on separate hard drives

Just for the record, I also have the same issue (stumbled upon this thread a few days after mad searching)

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=10883112

My setup is identical to this one and everything boots in EFI mode whether Xubuntu (grub-efi installed) or Windows (both installed in GPT partitions). Like the OP I can boot from one another by selecting the boot option at system start (F8).

I just can't seem to figure out how to tell grub-efi what to load on the Windows SSD (few new suggestions that I haven't tried yet)

I'll let you know if I ever figure it out.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12