Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Changing the default theme color

Beans

Lightbulb Changing the default theme color

I hear there's a way to change the color of GTK+ themes, so that you can take a green theme and make it a grey theme or a brown theme and make it a blue theme.

Ubuntu's default themes-- especially in Dapper-- are quite nice looking, except that brown is about the ugliest color in the universe and they managed to take a good theme and make Windows XP beautiful when placed next to it.

Anyone have any clue as to how to change the Ubuntulooks color into something nicer, like a grey-blue? While at it, the notification bubbles that come from update-manager and Rhythmbox are brown no matter what theme you're using, I want to tint them a different color too...

Some time someone needs to make a program to color shift the current theme, in case some color blind person decides to use eye-piercing yellow or ugly brown motifs that make the system look dead.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Changing the default theme color

If your talking about the window border colors, do this:
    System>Preferences>Theme
    Click on Theme Detail
    Click on Window Border and go through the list to see what colors they change to
    As for the bubble colors, I don't know
    Ubuntu Arizona LoCo Team - The Hottest LoCo on Earth!
    ArizonaTeam Wiki | Arizona Launchpad | Membership
    |
    IRC Channel: #ubuntu-us-az
    Server: irc.freenode.net

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by johnc4510
    If your talking about the window border colors, do this:
    System>Preferences>Theme
    Click on Theme Detail
    Click on Window Border and go through the list to see what colors they change to
    As for the bubble colors, I don't know
    Nope. I'm talking about keeping the same window border theme ("Human"), but changing its color. What can be done through themes are as follows:

1. Change the window border ("Human" etc)
    2. Change the control set ("Clearlooks" etc)
    3. Change the icon set

I want to change the colors of the theme, without changing the theme itself. The colors, by the way, are controlled by the controls. Nuvola and Clearlooks are blue, Lush is green, and Human is some sort of orange-brown. They control the window border colors too.
    Last edited by nigelenki; May 15th, 2006 at 11:57 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by nigelenki
    I want to change the colors of the theme, without changing the theme itself. The colors, by the way, are controlled by the controls. Nuvola and Clearlooks are blue, Lush is green, and Human is some sort of orange-brown. They control the window border colors too.
    Never tried it myself, but try editing the appropriate file in /usr/share/themes/??????????/gtk-2.0/gtkrc

Beans

Wow, that's a big file. Have to toy with it and see what happens.

Beans

You might want to check this out:

UbuntuLooks Pack

It's a fairly large collection of color variations for the human theme, and I recommend the graphite mod especially.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

How about changing the background (brown) color for my splash screen? It's not big enough to cover the entire screen & just doesn't look right with that brown background.
    Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by nigelenki
    Some time someone needs to make a program to color shift the current theme, in case some color blind person decides to use eye-piercing yellow or ugly brown motifs that make the system look dead.
    its funny you should mention that, because i've had that idea written down in my diary for several months now. i just haven't got round to it. it was going to read the gtkrc file and display the colours next to a colour selector and the widget(and widget state) and allow the user to change the colours. because of gconf, the user would be able to see the changes in the theme immediately. when the user is satisfeid with the colours, they can click on "save", whereby the changes would be written back to the gtkrc file. that was a very rough plan anyway.

note that, sometimes the window borders are determined by the gtk theme. sometimes they have their own colour which the gtk theme doesn't change. i would have to incorperate that functionality into the program too in the form of some prior checks.

this functionality is going to be present in gtk 2.9 and gtk 2.10....so i wonder if its even woth it.
    Last edited by ComplexNumber; May 29th, 2006 at 05:22 AM.

Beans

JGKC9AYC, you can change that in System-->Administration-->Login Window.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by Nonno Bassotto
    JGKC9AYC, you can change that in System-->Administration-->Login Window.
    How so if i'm using a themed greeter?
    Is there a way I can change the splash screen colors on the menu.lst?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast