Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New MP3 player

Beans

New MP3 player

Hi all

So, I need a new MP3 player to replace my Creative Zen. It's perfect, about 2.5 years old and still as good as the day I got it, but 8gb is too little now that my music collection is over twice that.

However, there's too much choice out there. I'm looking for:

Not an iPod.
    32gb+
    Preferably flash based (I'd only drop a hard drive based player and kill it)
    OS agnostic (drag and drop preferred)
    Rockbox support now or in the future (Not required, but would be nice)
    Good sound quality (I'm an audiophile )
    Available in the UK.

Is there anything out there that fits my list of 'likes'?

Thanks!
    Joe
    There's no place like ~/

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: New MP3 player

Sansa fuze v2. Largest model is 8GB but I think it supports up to 40 via microSD. Excellent rockbox support too.
    I had to do it.

Beans

The Samsung Galaxy Player is an Android-based iPod touch competitor, so you'd get an audio/video player and a pocket computer in one device. It uses WiFi and Bluetooth for connectivity, and also has GPS.

Last edited by Macskeeball; May 30th, 2011 at 12:12 AM.

Beans

A good news/review site for mp3 players is http://anythingbutipod.com/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by Dustin2128 View Post
    Sansa fuze v2. Largest model is 8GB but I think it supports up to 40 via microSD. Excellent rockbox support too.
    I'm going to have to offer a counter-recommendation here. Before you get a Sansa Fuze+, know that the controls on them are extremely fast and slide all over the place, making it very difficult to choose individual tracks. Furthermore, they do not have a hardware locking switch. To lock it, you must do it via a menu in the player and to unlock it you simply have to slide up the touch pad. Therein lies the problem: if you are walking it will unlock the player via moving it up and down your leg.

If you don't plan on going anywhere with it, a Sansa Fuze+ is an excellent USB compatible player that supports OGG, FLAC, and MP3, but if you are, you're better off with another MP3 player. The original Sansa Fuze was so much better.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Hwęt View Post
    I'm going to have to offer a counter-recommendation here. Before you get a Sansa Fuze+, know that the controls on them are extremely fast and slide all over the place, making it very difficult to choose individual tracks. Furthermore, they do not have a hardware locking switch. To lock it, you must do it via a menu in the player and to unlock it you simply have to slide up the touch pad. Therein lies the problem: if you are walking it will unlock the player via moving it up and down your leg.

If you don't plan on going anywhere with it, a Sansa Fuze+ is an excellent USB compatible player that supports OGG, FLAC, and MP3, but if you are, you're better off with another MP3 player. The original Sansa Fuze was so much better.
    I was talking about this one:
    I had to do it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

There are 32 gigabyte Sony Walkman players out there. Excellent sound quality (they even give you reasonably good earbuds), flash-based, drag 'n' drop on any operating system, and they should be available in the UK. No Rockbox as far as I know.

The one I have is the X series, which has a very-responsive touch screen, active noise-cancelling earphones, a built-in podcast client with wifi, and an OLED screen.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

If you're an audiophile:

http://www.cowonglobal.com/

They're not cheap but they are fantastic. Not sure, though, if they have a 32Gb model. I have the iAudio7 which is discontinued. It is brilliant (me muso for thirty years with home studio and discerning ears). For the true audiophile ... they also play FLAC files which most don't and work with Linux out of the box. Highly recommended from me. Good luck.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Dustin2128 View Post
    I was talking about this one:
    I have that one and I love it. Bought a 4 gig Micro SD card to add on and it's the best $29.99 (refurbished see link)http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...569&CatId=4518 I ever spent. Use it to listen to my classical every day when I walk.
    Last edited by VanR; May 30th, 2011 at 03:44 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

If I ever give up on my old iriver hp120, I'd look at a Cowon. Good stuff!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast